U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,127 times

Advertisements

Are u still thinking about Arkansas? If so, I personally reccomend Mena. Low taxes, beautiful land & scenery, no hurricanes, no earth quakes, low crime rates, & no I'm not a realator, just someone who has lived here for over 30 yrs. Now my children are starting to establish their homes.....in Mena. Ha Ha, & they used to say things like Mena was boring. Beautiful place with four seasons.....I love it here!!! I'm sure you or anyone would too. Let us know where you land-Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 PM

87 posts, read 259,738 times
I can see all those little yellow flashes over the field in my minds eye now. Can't wait to see it in person. Thanks Luv

Old 04-21-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak View Post
Are u still thinking about Arkansas? If so, I personally reccomend Mena. Low taxes, beautiful land & scenery, no hurricanes, no earth quakes, low crime rates, & no I'm not a realator, just someone who has lived here for over 30 yrs. Now my children are starting to establish their homes.....in Mena. Ha Ha, & they used to say things like Mena was boring. Beautiful place with four seasons.....I love it here!!! I'm sure you or anyone would too. Let us know where you land-Good luck
30 Years in Mena, now that sounds like a voice of experience we can trust. Thanks Razorbak, it sound great. We hope to be there in person for a look-see sometime within the next two months, and have a realtor already located. The words "adult children" and "boring" are definite oposites... Best of luck to them though, and hope they keep enjoying life in Mena as much as you.
Thanks again,
Slim

Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,081 times
Thumbs down Mena: Pretty to Look at, BUT...

If you're thinking about moving to Mena (which if you are, I'm sorry you are so desperate...) then perhaps you should know a little about what REALLY happens in that "quaint" little town.
I spent a good portion (12 long lost years) of my life living in the Mena/Acorn area, and I must say that it is one little town with a really messed up attitude. This is my list of reasons why NOT to move to Mena:
1.)The schools are sub-par compared to the rest of the US.
2.) The town has a bad and extremely racist outlook to anyone who isn't "white and Christian". (After Hurricane Katrina one of the city officials was overheard saying that he wanted all the "n***ers" [refering to the African American evacuees] "out of town before sunset", and they were!!!)
3.) You had better come with plenty of ca$h to live on, because a minimum wage fast food job is pretty much the best you're going to get.
4.) The history of illegal drug trafficking through Mena, and the current corruption in local law enforcement.
5.) A town whose citizens used to be primarily pro-marijuana (wether they care to admit it or not....) is now pro-methamphetamines. Friends I grew up with now have serious problems because of this.
6.) Did I mention the drugs and racism? How about plenty of other violations of the constitution, like violations of religious freedom. (Unless you're Christian or Catholic. And even so, there's not really much of a choice in churches unless you're Christian.)
7.) "Outsiders" (or people who haven't been born, raised and lived in Mena practically since birth) are looked at suspiciously. If you live thier 5-10 years they loosen up, but 'til then, expect a bit of hostility. Unless you're a tourist. Even so, beware of the closed minded, "small town" mentality. And inbreeding (Only half joking. Some people's family trees in that town run in circles!!!)
My advice: Visit, See the sights (what few they are), and then GO HOME!!!! Mena really isn't a good place to live unless you have the misfortune of being born there & grow up there.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Well Truth, We have a lot of posters giving a much different picture of Mena. Most have a history of many posts on City-Data, with good reputations. Then we have you, a new poster, with a very negative persona screen name, whose first post contradicts most everything that has previously been said.
Although I'm sure that such a small town as Mena is not capable of offering lots of high income employment, neither can any other small town. If it could, population would be increasing rapidly and people like us would not be looking at it for possible relocation.
Drugs? Although I wish it were not true, we have not been able to find any location that has remained free of this problem. The greed of it's pushers and the natural rebelliousness of youth, have spread it over all our country.
As to the remarks on racism and religion, I would have to draw some conclusions to respond, and I will not do that. I believe anyone who shows they are a responsible good American should be accepted equally.. enough said.
I will say that your post hints of some very bad experiences in the past, and that is regretful. I would pray (yes, I'm Christian) for those wounds to be healed. But for this thread, I'll have to weight the other posts much higher in credibility.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,859,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
Well Truth, We have a lot of posters giving a much different picture of Mena. Most have a history of many posts on City-Data, with good reputations. Then we have you, a new poster, with a very negative persona screen name, whose first post contradicts most everything that has previously been said.
Although I'm sure that such a small town as Mena is not capable of offering lots of high income employment, neither can any other small town. If it could, population would be increasing rapidly and people like us would not be looking at it for possible relocation.
Drugs? Although I wish it were not true, we have not been able to find any location that has remained free of this problem. The greed of it's pushers and the natural rebelliousness of youth, have spread it over all our country.
As to the remarks on racism and religion, I would have to draw some conclusions to respond, and I will not do that. I believe anyone who shows they are a responsible good American should be accepted equally.. enough said.
I will say that your post hints of some very bad experiences in the past, and that is regretful. I would pray (yes, I'm Christian) for those wounds to be healed. But for this thread, I'll have to weight the other posts much higher in credibility.
You know Slim from my experiences growing up in a small town in AR I can tell you there are 3 types of people you'll meet there:

A) People who genuinely dislike outsiders and people who are at all different. These folks usually have a what passes for a bit of money in town and are in control of a lot of things and don't like for the status quo to change so any new person is a threat to them.
B) People who think they were cheated by having to grow up and live in a small town.
C) Regular joes who just live and work and don't mind others.

The good thing is that Type C almost always dominate the landscape. Types A and B make a big deal out of things that really don't affect the majority of Type C's. I think Truth may well be a Type B. I can usually spot them pretty easily seeing as how I used to be one.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Storm, Having spent a good portion of my youth in a small (very small) Indiana farm town, before being uprooted and transplanted in the west, I would have to agree with you. I guess, a lot changes over the years, but then some things don't. I suspect if I'd remained in that little town, I might have been a type B also (at least during my young charger days), but time does change things indeed. Now we're ready to step off the treadmill and return to a slower life, neighbors to say Good Morning to, and spend some time playing in the dirt (gardening) before I'm planted there myself. LOL and a Good Evening to you.
Slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
You know Slim from my experiences growing up in a small town in AR I can tell you there are 3 types of people you'll meet there:

A) People who genuinely dislike outsiders and people who are at all different. These folks usually have a what passes for a bit of money in town and are in control of a lot of things and don't like for the status quo to change so any new person is a threat to them.
B) People who think they were cheated by having to grow up and live in a small town.
C) Regular joes who just live and work and don't mind others.

The good thing is that Type C almost always dominate the landscape. Types A and B make a big deal out of things that really don't affect the majority of Type C's. I think Truth may well be a Type B. I can usually spot them pretty easily seeing as how I used to be one.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:36 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,859,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
Storm, Having spent a good portion of my youth in a small (very small) Indiana farm town, before being uprooted and transplanted in the west, I would have to agree with you. I guess, a lot changes over the years, but then some things don't. I suspect if I'd remained in that little town, I might have been a type B also (at least during my young charger days), but time does change things indeed. Now we're ready to step off the treadmill and return to a slower life, neighbors to say Good Morning to, and spend some time playing in the dirt (gardening) before I'm planted there myself. LOL and a Good Evening to you.
Slim
I hear you man! I now look back on my rural upbringing as a real blessing. Made me who I am and I'm pretty happy with that guy. I'd have to guess that a lot of people just aren't happy with themselves and that's more a problem with them than where they grew up anyway.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,392 times
Default from Mena arkansas

I have lived in Mena , Arkansas for close to 2 years. If you are looking for a place to retire. it is wonderful. Peace & quite. low crime. Kind of like Mayberry.
As for Jobs, not an abundance of them.Especially if you specialize in a certain field. You would need to travel to Ft. Smith or maybe Hot springs which are both approximately 80 miles away.
There are a few stores here, One Super Walmart. Lots of lakes, a State Park. not a lot for younger people. Although we do have excellant schools and a community college, I hear most move off to better jobs.
Actually, most people I have met here, do not come from here originally. My family and I are hoping to relocate after the new year because of the job situation.
It is just a small town with a small town feel.
hope this helps!!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s. dexter View Post
I have lived in Mena , Arkansas for close to 2 years. If you are looking for a place to retire. it is wonderful. Peace & quite. low crime. Kind of like Mayberry.
As for Jobs, not an abundance of them.Especially if you specialize in a certain field. You would need to travel to Ft. Smith or maybe Hot springs which are both approximately 80 miles away.
There are a few stores here, One Super Walmart. Lots of lakes, a State Park. not a lot for younger people. Although we do have excellant schools and a community college, I hear most move off to better jobs.
Actually, most people I have met here, do not come from here originally. My family and I are hoping to relocate after the new year because of the job situation.
It is just a small town with a small town feel.
hope this helps!!
Thanks for the reply. Mena still sounds ideal for us as we are retired and looking for something small (still love to watch Mayberry reruns). The work situation obviously wouldn't be a problem for us, and if one of our (adult) kids should want to relocate, we would prefer them to be the 80 miles away... Now if we can ever get things here to calm down long enough to get down there and get serious. Sounds like you've enjoyed your stay in Mena, so it's a shame you will be relocating. We all have to do what we must though in order to get by.
Thanks again for the reply,
Slim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas