U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM

87 posts, read 259,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelmadj View Post
I see you say jobs in Mena are scarce. Are electrician and nursing positins scarce too? My husband and I want to move from Louisiana to Mena in a few months and we have to work. Also, do many people sale their homes themselves local real estate online isn't real abundant? I tryed to get "Mena Star" online but they don't do that anymore are there any other newspapers I can look for online.
Well, from our research and visit there last Sept, I think most homes are sold through Real Estate Agents, although right now sales are slow through any method.
I think the job situation is pretty much what it would be in any small town with a population under 3000. But you will have to check out specifics with a local contractor and perhaps the small local hospital located there.
The Mena Star is still online at News, but it's only a weekly and the online content is minimal. I would suggest you subscribe to paper copy of both the Mena Star and the Quachita Trading Post and scan the classifieds for opportunities.
Best of luck to you,
Slim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:48 PM

17 posts, read 31,563 times
Thanks Slim. Do you subscribe to both of those papers? Good luck to you as well I've read about your plans to move also.

Nelma

Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 PM

87 posts, read 259,617 times
Quote:
Thanks Slim. Do you subscribe to both of those papers? Good luck to you as well I've read about your plans to move also.

Nelma
No, I don't subscribe, but read them throughly while there. I do monitor the on-line Mena Star to keep up with community happenings. Since we have been blessed (so far) with not having to work in our retirement, and have a Mena Realtor watching the housing market, have not felt the need to subscribe to the paper versions.
Keep us all posted on your progress.
Slim

Old 01-13-2009, 01:30 PM

I read the news on Mena Star as well I just can't read the classifieds. Not that I want to skip all the good things between working and retiring but I dream about the day I can retire. But that is a really long way away. I'll let you know when I get a step or two in the direction of Mena. Just to let people know I found a really good way to move your stuff long distances. It is call pack and ship you load your stuff into a freighter, like on mack trucks, and than they deliver your stuff for less than renting a u-haul and paying for gas. Thanks Slim.

Nelma

Old 01-13-2009, 03:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,447,169 times
Quote:
I read the news on Mena Star as well I just can't read the classifieds. Not that I want to skip all the good things between working and retiring but I dream about the day I can retire. But that is a really long way away. I'll let you know when I get a step or two in the direction of Mena. Just to let people know I found a really good way to move your stuff long distances. It is call pack and ship you load your stuff into a freighter, like on mack trucks, and than they deliver your stuff for less than renting a u-haul and paying for gas. Thanks Slim.

Nelma
Did you find it online under "pack & Ship"? I'm considering moving to AR from CA & trying to find the least expensive way to get there. Thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 PM

Bufford,

The web address is www.packandride.com or ph # is 1(866)550-7225. They will give you a free quote. It's really easy online. It sounds like a really good deal.

Nelma

Old 01-17-2009, 02:40 PM

do you know who is the best cell provider? Last time we were in Mena and surrounding areas we had spotty reception with AT&T. Have they put up any new towers since Aug.

Bufford was that web site helpful? Did you think they were a good deal?

Old 01-17-2009, 06:43 PM

802 posts, read 2,179,412 times
Quote:
do you know who is the best cell provider? Last time we were in Mena and surrounding areas we had spotty reception with AT&T. Have they put up any new towers since Aug.

Bufford was that web site helpful? Did you think they were a good deal?
AT&T is not good in parts of western Arkansas! Spotty is being very nice!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 PM

Default Cell coverage?

So, what company is the best and do any have broadband coverage in Mena?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:44 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,359,404 times
Quote:
So, what company is the best and do any have broadband coverage in Mena?
My closest neighbors have AT&T, for both their phones and broadband. We live near the top of a large "hill". I have Alltel.

They have very spotty cell service, and their broadband runs around 250kbps.

I've only had a problem at one spot near Mammoth Springs, that is enclosed by hills, and my broadband runs 500kbps to 2 megs.

I believe AT&T is an 1800 mhz system, and is GSM, where Alltel is a 800 mhz system, and is CDMA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas