U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM

17 posts, read 31,584 times

Advertisements

Well, I have an awesome update on my move status. I sold my house in 4 days. All that is left is to close and the buyers already have financing. Thanks for the cell info. looks like that will be very useful soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM

Are there any areas of Mena I should avoid when trying to rent a place?

Old 01-23-2009, 03:17 PM

Wanted to tell everyone that pack and ride not a good deal at all when I called they changed their quote by like $500 increase. Sorry for saying they looked like a good deal.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,862,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelmadj View Post
Wanted to tell everyone that pack and ride not a good deal at all when I called they changed their quote by like $500 increase. Sorry for saying they looked like a good deal.
There are other companies out there similar to this service, PODS I think is almost identical. Presuming you have another service similar to Pack and Ship close enough, you should get a competing quote and make them fight for the contract. Times are tough for a lot of businesses, now's a bad time to not be cost competitive!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:54 PM

thanks for the info it looks like for me u-haul will be the best bet.

nelma

Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,101,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
My wife and I are retired, and have lived in the Phoenix Arizona area for over half a century. What used to be more of a friendly western envirnoment, has become a 3million plus hectic urban mega-metropolis, complete with daily (hourly) crime, traffic, and HOT weather. The 80 degree summer nights of long ago now seldom drop below 100 for four or five months, and the monsoons of yesteryear now are just dry dust storms. So while looking to relocate we stumbled across Mena Arkansas. Although we have been in the big city for a long time, we both spent the first 14 to 16 years of our lives in small mid-western towns, so are familar with that lifestyle. We would love to hear from someone in Mena who could give us a more personal flavor of life there. Also, our 37 year old (single) son is considering following us, and is wondering about employment in the area for someone with both computer and retail grocery experience. Would love to hear from you, so give us an email shout. Thanks
I grew up in Mena a looong time ago but still visit there. The population has been about 5,000 since I first went there in the late 1930s. It is in the Ouachita Mountains and in the middle of the Ouachita National Forest. If you are an outdoors person that is the place to go because the mountains offer all types of recreation and camp grounds. If you are a party person it would be a bad move because the nearest night life is in Hot Springs, about 85 miles away. Employment for your son would be 75 to 100 miles away. If I retired there I would want to live in the near-by country. A few weeks ago a tornado took out a large portion of the residential area, including two houses my sister owns. If you are interested in building a retirement dream home there are now several vacant lots available. In the past the natives were somewhat private and had to "warm up" to "outsiders", but there are so many retirees there now that has changed.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,730 times
Another set of retirees may be headed to Mena in the not too distant future. A lot depends on where the son-in-law transfers with his company. It has been years now that we have wanted to be there and our chances are increasing daily. Can't wait!!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:52 PM

87 posts, read 259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishcorsi View Post
Another set of retirees may be headed to Mena in the not too distant future. A lot depends on where the son-in-law transfers with his company. It has been years now that we have wanted to be there and our chances are increasing daily. Can't wait!!!!
Sure glad to see someone is making progress on this. Slim and the missus will keep our fingers crossed that it works out and goes smoothly for you. Keep us posted.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:42 PM

21 posts, read 38,394 times
Compared to other parts of the country, I have found that both the natives and transplants here in Mena are very friendly and kind. How do you stand that dry heat in Arizona, Slim? I consider this area one of the last unexploited areas of the USA. I would live nowhere else.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,203 times
Mena Arkansas was a beautiful place and definitely a place to retire to. I lived in Mena for two years and I loved it. It is a very peaceful and quiet town...no crime...a very nice little theatre and the hospital is great. It also has a very progressive two year college. It has a lot to offer for a small town and the Ouchita (wash-i-taw) mountains are spectacular. There are several families there from California and the west coast who have settled in Mena. Then in April of 2009 a tornado came through and did a lot of damage to this beautiful place. All the old beautiful trees were uprooted, many homes were damaged, and it changed the town forever. It will never be the same. By the way, the people there are also very nice and caring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas