U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 06:44 AM

179 posts, read 53,206 times

Advertisements

One problem is that once you leave Little Rock, you're in Arkansas. Ditto NWA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 02:15 PM

62,641 posts, read 68,730,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
and what is that supposed to mean?

Old 04-22-2017, 05:39 AM
sub

71 posts, read 45,756 times
Quote:

True.
Although one doesn't always have to leave those areas to see the real Arkansas.

I'll add to my previous statement that the amenities Little Rock has to offer are fairly close together. Centralized. It is not a big city by any measure, but it makes a good scale model of one.
NWA is spread out along a 40 mile stretch of highway similar to developments in North Carolina and Tennessee, resulting in traffic nightmares,lots of randomness, and general hokiness.
They're getting close to finishing up the widening project on 49 which will unclog things in the short term, but a bypass or two is inevitable if the region wants to remain halfway tolerable as a place to live. I guess the good thing for Arkansas is that the new residents come from places with bad traffic so they think it's normal.
Jobs and low COL are the big draw there.
Personally, I don't find that region remotely appealing, especially when one considers all the options nationwide that are available.
Little Rock I can almost understand if someone wants a big city without actually being in a big city.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:25 AM

1,224 posts, read 672,762 times
Opinions on places are subjective to people's tastes, so it's really hard to answer questions like this. Some people want cities, but certain kinds of cities, or their idea of a good city is different from another's. It's always better to go spend a little time in the places you are considering. We all like different things, and that's part of what makes the world go around.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:57 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,940,568 times
Quote:
Yeah, God forbid that anyone should have to look at the Ouachitas, the Ozarks, the River Valley....Petit Jean, Mt. Nebo, Mt. Magazine, Hot Springs, Eureka Springs, the Buffalo, Mulberry, and Cossatot Rivers....I could go on and on......

But hey, to each his own...if anyone cannot appreciate all that Arkansas has to offer I'm sure the residents (and those who love it) would be glad for them to just "keep a'goin' "!

Old 04-22-2017, 09:33 AM

15,684 posts, read 18,295,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Wondering which of these two areas in Arkansas would be better to move to based on this criteria.
1. Walk ability
2. Economy (mainly in the tech, communications and business field)
3. Scenery
4. Weather
5. Dating scene
6. Night life
7. Architecture
8. Overall activities
9. Diversity

I am a "Yankee" who visits Arkansas pretty frequently, because I have familly and friends there.

Having visited and enjoyed both destinations, I would say that BOTH places are scenic - so you have #3 covered. The weather is nice, compared to OH and NYS - milder with four seasons. It's an incredibly beautiful state.

Little Rock has beautiful architecture and a historic district.

Since you asked about 5 and 6, as well as 9, Little Rock would be a better fit.

I have no knowledge of the tech industry. My relatives work in higher education.

Little Rock has many transplants also, and is more diverse in general.

Some counties in NWA are dry. Pulaski - Little Rock - is not, and people do seem to like to enjoy themselves, however, i think there is no liquor sales on Sunday.

Locals are very friendly towards outsiders in both places.

There are more retirees and families in NWA.

It sounds as though Little Rock is a good fit. But do travel there yourself.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 AM

1,224 posts, read 672,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Yeah, God forbid that anyone should have to look at the Ouachitas, the Ozarks, the River Valley....Petit Jean, Mt. Nebo, Mt. Magazine, Hot Springs, Eureka Springs, the Buffalo, Mulberry, and Cossatot Rivers....I could go on and on......

But hey, to each his own...if anyone cannot appreciate all that Arkansas has to offer I'm sure the residents (and those who love it) would be glad for them to just "keep a'goin' "!
Thank you for pointing that out. I have to endure Arkansas each day, waking up in the morning and looking out my front window with a beautiful view of the Ozarks, the 4 wonderful distinct seasons of weather, the Buffalo river, the abundant wildlife, it's like a vacation each and everyday. Oh the horror....

Old 04-22-2017, 11:00 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,940,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Oh the horror....
We were just there last weekend, Holly....we had to endure Falling Water Falls/creek (absolutely breathtaking), Six-Finger Falls, Horsetail Falls, the Buffalo River, Buffalo Outdoor Center, Broadwater Hollow (another breathtaking spot), Alum Cove (ditto), the Ozark Cafe, the Blue Mountain Bakery, and Emma's Museum of Junk (all on the square in Jasper)....and a perfectly clean and affordable room at Little Switzerland, 2 miles north of Jasper!

It was tough, but we muddled through somehow.

For some strange reason, I can't wait to do it all again.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:09 AM
sub

71 posts, read 45,756 times
Every state has scenery and natural interests. Yes, I live in the Ozarks but don't see it as anything particularly special compared to any other hilly area in the U.S.
Culture would be the big difference, which affects a lot of aspects, including how cities and towns are built. For that, it just depends on individual tastes or what one is willing to tolerate.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:30 AM

62,641 posts, read 68,730,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post

True.
Although one doesn't always have to leave those areas to see the real Arkansas.

I'll add to my previous statement that the amenities Little Rock has to offer are fairly close together. Centralized. It is not a big city by any measure, but it makes a good scale model of one.
NWA is spread out along a 40 mile stretch of highway similar to developments in North Carolina and Tennessee, resulting in traffic nightmares,lots of randomness, and general hokiness.
They're getting close to finishing up the widening project on 49 which will unclog things in the short term, but a bypass or two is inevitable if the region wants to remain halfway tolerable as a place to live. I guess the good thing for Arkansas is that the new residents come from places with bad traffic so they think it's normal.
Jobs and low COL are the big draw there.
Personally, I don't find that region remotely appealing, especially when one considers all the options nationwide that are available.
Little Rock I can almost understand if someone wants a big city without actually being in a big city.
I have no idea how much time you have spent in NWA, or anything about you, but the only point you have made that makes any sense is the traffic problems and they are only a few hours a day. Yes, as you mentioned, those who have come from major cities are not that bothered by the traffic, some others are. I have been in Little Rock when it is just like any other metro city: traffic bumper to bumper during rush hour.

Everyone has his/her own idea as to what is appealing but there is some reason the region is one of the fastest growing in the nation and why, they are rated constantly as one of the top 10 or so best places to live, whether you are young, family oriented, single or retired. May I ask, where in NWA do you live or have you lived?

I might add, we have lived in Los Angeles, suburbs of San Francisco, Dallas, No VA, and Abq prior to living here. This is the only place where we can get a wonderful mixture of country living, urban living and a mixture of both all within 30 minutes of each other.

Last edited by nmnita; 04-22-2017 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas