U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM

36,134 posts, read 19,753,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Never heard of that. It's around Hot Springs?
It's a legal loophole that some collectors believe allows them to collect arrowheads on federal land.

There are numerous problems with the "loophole" because, one, arrowheads aren't always arrowheads from an archaeology point of view, and two, the government can still charge a collector with theft.

https://dougsarchaeology.wordpress.c...-federal-land/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 12:05 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,950,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's a legal loophole that some collectors believe allows them to collect arrowheads on federal land.

There are numerous problems with the "loophole" because, one, arrowheads aren't always arrowheads from an archaeology point of view, and two, the government can still charge a collector with theft.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:38 AM

184 posts, read 38,925 times
Quote:

first they have to catch you. If you are just picking it up off the ground it would be about impossible to be caught. I think some here are blowing it out of all proportion to try to scare people off from doing it. I for one have looked for things on federal land but not dug or metal detected. What I find on top of the ground to be caught would have to have a park ranger walking with me.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
first they have to catch you. If you are just picking it up off the ground it would be about impossible to be caught. I think some here are blowing it out of all proportion to try to scare people off from doing it. I for one have looked for things on federal land but not dug or metal detected. What I find on top of the ground to be caught would have to have a park ranger walking with me.
It's illegal because it's wrong. Those artifacts are part of all our history. When you remove them you are stealing from everyone else, and because you are sneaking around to do it you are damaging the historical record that archaeologists and historians depend on. Lie, cheat and steal. The person who does these things because he can get away with it is a person with no moral compass.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
It's illegal because it's wrong. Those artifacts are part of all our history. When you remove them you are stealing from everyone else, and because you are sneaking around to do it you are damaging the historical record that archaeologists and historians depend on. Lie, cheat and steal. The person who does these things because he can get away with it is a person with no moral compass.
You seem to think there is some moral order to the universe. There is not. I also laugh at people who say not to recover artifacts from places like the Titanic. Ya let them rot away instead of recovery. One does what one does. I can say if I find something on the ground and pick it up I can sleep very good at night.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
You seem to think there is some moral order to the universe. There is not. I also laugh at people who say not to recover artifacts from places like the Titanic. Ya let them rot away instead of recovery. One does what one does. I can say if I find something on the ground and pick it up I can sleep very good at night.
I believe in right and wrong. You do not. Karma can be a *****.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I believe in right and wrong. You do not. Karma can be a *****.
Karma is not real. Like the easter bunny and santa.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Karma is not real. Like the easter bunny and santa.
Spoken by someone who doesn't understand the concept of Karma.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Spoken by someone who doesn't understand the concept of Karma.
the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences. If your using your own arbitrary definition well that's just you. Being an Atheist I do not believe in Hinduism or another religious BS. So if you believe picking up an arrowhead will compromise my reincarnation well I leave you to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: