U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2006, 08:15 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,880,451 times

Advertisements

I don't think that I would have to much trouble fitting in, we are honest, down to earth, and wouldn't want to change a thing, that is the reason we want out of here, it is for a change, not to change the state of Arkansas.
The only thing I would worry about is my 12 year old daughter, she is very shy, and waits for others to talk to her first, so I hope for her sake, that there wouldn't be any problems, I would hate to see her hurt, or not make any friends.
I myself am a people pleaser, so that being said, I could get along with anyone. If you have any ideas let me know. Thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 09:38 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,859,868 times
In many of the smaller towns, kids fitting in is usually predicated upon playing sports, largely because there isn't much else for children to do to build an identity. I don't imagine she would be unable to make friends but they may not be plentiful if she doesn't play basketball.

As far as specific locations, I would definitely recommend the Ozarks and I would suggest one of the larger towns like Harrison or Mtn. Home. The schools in these towns will be much better than those in the outlying towns where she honestly would not get a good preparation for college. Of course, there are exceptions to this, Valley Springs and Bergman in Boone County for instance have typically had much better schools than other small towns in the county with many more extracurricular activities.

So, if you settle upon Boone County and feel compelled to live outside Harrison, I personally would choose Valley Springs or Bergman. But my preference would be Harrison.

Not sure if you've researched how school systems work in Arkansas yet and how that compares to MN. In AR, school districts are all local with a locally elected board. I know many states use a county wide district. The local control has good and bad points. It allows smaller schools to not get left out of the picture which could definitely happen becuase there is usually a large size difference between county seat and every other town in the county. However, every school is run very differently from the next with unequal emphasis placed upon various programs at the whim of the administration. In my school, we had a band because we were required to by the state. The administration did not see it as at all important and tried to make do with a part time instructor. The main conclusion: do specific targeted research of the school district. This link will direct to websites for individual school districts: http://arkansased.org/schools/schools_public_sites.html (broken link)

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 12-15-2006 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-15-2006, 10:47 PM

My daughters is in dance right now, and also band, is there areas or schools that would fit her interest? I would really like to fit in, so what ever anyone can tell me would be great. Thanks!!

Old 12-18-2006, 08:43 AM

113 posts, read 504,694 times
FYI-Dover has a pretty good band. I know some former Dover band members and they had a great experience there.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:35 AM

365 posts, read 891,923 times
Talking Glenwood is the place for you

I would highly suggest Glenwood, Ark. I is about 35 miles SW of Hot Springs on hwy 70. My sister lives there and has for 40 years. The population is around 1500-1600, the Caddo river runs through the middle of town, scenery is beautiful. I owned property there and intended on retiring there until I found Hot Spring Village. The Village had more to offer for retirement, fishing, golf, etc, so I sold my property in Glenwood but otherwise I would have moved there.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:37 PM

What does Glenwood have for stores, and how is housing in that area. I seen Dover is close to Russellvile, and that looks like a bigger town. So I would like to hear more on Glenwood, if anyone can give me any feedback, we would be greatful. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
I would highly suggest Glenwood, Ark. I is about 35 miles SW of Hot Springs on hwy 70. My sister lives there and has for 40 years. The population is around 1500-1600, the Caddo river runs through the middle of town, scenery is beautiful. I owned property there and intended on retiring there until I found Hot Spring Village. The Village had more to offer for retirement, fishing, golf, etc, so I sold my property in Glenwood but otherwise I would have moved there.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:45 AM

113 posts, read 504,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
What does Glenwood have for stores, and how is housing in that area. I seen Dover is close to Russellvile, and that looks like a bigger town. So I would like to hear more on Glenwood, if anyone can give me any feedback, we would be greatful. Thanks
You would have to drive to Hot Springs for any major shopping. I've been through Glennwood a few times and if I remember correctly there isn't alot there. It is scenic though.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:15 PM

Thank you for letting me know about Glennwood, if anyone has any other ideas let me know thanks.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:03 PM

10 posts, read 27,748 times
You asked which towns had low humidity, none. The south isn't known for low humidity. If humidity is a problem better look toward Arizona, Nevada or New Mexico.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:59 AM

18 posts, read 68,860 times
Thumbs up find your spot

type the title above into a search engine and fill out the questions and they will find you 4 pages of cities that meet your answers on the questins,they all include cost of living,crime rates,weather data.ave cost of homes,tax information,and photo's of the area.i'm looking also so i use a salary calculator,just do a search for that and follow the directions.type in your current income amd it will return the amount it will take to keep the same standard of living in the town you entered.i am retired annd found some towns that would increase my buying power by up to 30%.it is free and is a good way to narrow down the cities your looking at.good luck otto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or