Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:19 AM

Location: I currently live in the community of East End Arkansas.
24 posts, read 97,424 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: no advertising, no referrals like this - please use DM feature or post in the classifieds section. Refer to Terms of service. I hope you will enjoy your new home in the area. I might even get to know you since I live in an area next to there called East End. I hope your daughter learns alot and has lots of new friends. You will enjoy the area because it's not too big. It does get cold in the winter but not as cold as Minnesota. The temperatures out here get to as cold as 20 degrees in the winter but that is only a couple times in the winter. In the summer you can expect temperatures in the 90's and 100's. But in the spring and fall expect nice weather in the 70's and 80's. I am happy to help.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-14-2007 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 08:10 PM

Location: I currently live in the community of East End Arkansas.
24 posts, read 97,424 times
Default House Found For You

Moderator cut: quit advertisingYou'll like the weather and it's not too cold. It doesn't snow very much. It snows about three times each winter. Hope you are happy with your new home.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-15-2007 at 02:58 AM..

Old 10-14-2007, 11:22 PM

140 posts, read 475,195 times
My wife and i came from SOCA, lived in Mountain Home, Lakeview, and now Yellville in the Hills near Bull SHoals lake. My Wife has Fibermialgia, Dr SAker in mountain home is very good, and will help you with letters when the SSD requests them,(they will want to follow your progress,just send them back with proper info and no worries). It is a buyers market now so dont rush, maybe rent for awhile then find the right house, there are deals still in Mountain Home-50k-80k for 3brm. they have a SuperWalmart there and its growqing nicely, now about 10,000, nice schools and a ASU College,Regional Hospital as well. The smaller towns will be more of a culture shock, Mountain Home, is in NoCentral Arkansas, weather is mild in winter , if it snows it doesnt hang around long. Depends where you live on the the Mosquito issue, i have seen some areas near water that have more , where we are there is few,so keep a lookout in the morning and early evening to see them. Keep in mind some areas are a little more prone to twisiters, Mountain HOme outskirts had one hard one about 30yrs ago that threw around or tipped over Mobile Homes in a Park,good thing is the Lakes here -Bull SHoals and NOrfork Lakes kinda split the weather fronts to it breaks up the dangerous ones,again ask around carefully wherever you like the areas about all these issues.We rented for 6mos before we bought our place, You can buy a nice house with land still outside the larger cities, thats why you need to get a good look around. Lots of Best WIshes, feel free to email us back. Aj and Denise PS ON HumIDITY- yes its in all of Arkansas, the more South the MO Humid, also closer to water ofcourse,look up weather stats to check many facts.Lookup chiggers and how to repel them, some are not sensitive to them , i was! if you go off the beat and track be prepared for natural or regular repellents on outer clothing and Natural repellents on skin,these little chiggers are invisible but can bug the heck out of you- no body warned me the first summer i was here, now i dont get many bites.They like tall grass and taller shrubs, so look them up on the Web. Best WIshes, happy Journey.

Last edited by Greenmon; 10-14-2007 at 11:38 PM..

Old 10-14-2007, 11:31 PM

140 posts, read 475,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy View Post
I grew up in a little town called Murfreesboro (Pike Co, county seat). When I was there, 1970 census was around 2000. It is now around 1700ish. Better hurry!!!
HEY, isnt Murfreesboro where the State Parks Diamond findings are ? They just found a 2=carat Diamond there! Git your Pic and shovels goin!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:50 AM

3 posts, read 9,917 times
My family resides in a little place called "Ashdown Arkansas" Population is around 4,000 give or take a few. Ashdown is about 20 minutes from Texarkana which is nice with all of the shopping the previous poster mentioned. Ashdown schools are just great, no complaints. There are also houses here in your price range that you would be pleased with. Ashdown is a very friendly town I think you would enjoy as well. Arkansas is just full of great places to live!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:22 PM

18 posts, read 84,825 times
Default look at magnolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstchrmn View Post
Hi all. I have been researching the Arkadelphia area for about a month now and am finding that I like the people I have talked to. Everyone has been so incredibly helpful. I have emails from the school superintendent, parks and recreation department, job service and several other area commerces. I too am leaving the old behind and want a clean fresh start. I have 4 children ages 23, 21, 9, and 6. The older are off at college but the little ones obviously are still at home so its very important to me that they be comfortable in this venture. Its my understanding that the area offers many many extra curricular activities that are geared for the kids. We have always been active in our community with sports and academics. Piano, swimming, basketball and wrestling are among the tops for us.I am moving there when school is out here (in Kansas) so that we have the summer to get to know the place and people so the kids will already be befriended when school starts. Our town is about 700,000 and I want to downsize. There area about 20,000 in the area I am looking at. The job market offers several venues for my line of work which is a plus for me, and shopping is relatively close. Real estate seems to be reasonable as well. I am going to take a trip there over Spring Break, ( yes thats how we celebrate Spring Break in our 40's, no beach for me!) to "see" it all before I make final arrangements. It is amazing the information you can get about an area through internet research. I have seen the town thru google earth and got contact numbers in general seraches. I know that if I shoose a specific apartment I will be about 10 minutes away from everything I need to do. The kids schools are about 3 miles apart and so on. I have looked at the hospitals, school buildings and classrooms and students as well from pictures posted. I have called medical doctors because I have a specific medical issue,I have seen the streets etc....I would suggest that you dig deep in the area you are considering, call the people there, they are very willing to help. I have the commissioner sending me a relocation packet and have registered with the job sevice, all over the phone and internet. Then make a plan to go there, and see for yourself. Anyway best of luck to you and maybe we will run into one another when we get there. My home email is [mod]please, no personal info - use DM or email feature if it is enabled.. I would be glad to forward anything I have that would benefit you. Keep in touch we may be able to look out for one another. By the way Arkadelphia lists 160 properties that match your criteria@ realtor.com
Id check out Magnolia good schools 4yr college, 3 1/2 hrs from Dallas-Ft.Worth, 135 miles from Little Rock, near Texarkana and Shreveport. Low crime also

Old 12-08-2007, 09:17 PM

5 posts, read 18,378 times
Bring it on down to Bella Vista Yorkie_Mom!!!

I'm confident that you can find what you are looking for here, or in one of the neighboring towns. Part of Bella Vista is in Gravette School District where the student to teacher ratios are good and they just built a new school to the tune of $5 million.

Compared to Minnesota, the weather is a dream. We do get some cold here, but very little snow!!!! The winter season is usually very mild. I was out earlier today wearing slacks and a golf tee...no coat. The summers have a few weeks of hot weather, Spring is simply beautiful with the Redbud and Dogwood trees in bloom, and the Fall has beautiful colors here in the mountains.

Moderator cut: TOS violation

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-09-2007 at 04:30 AM..

Old 01-14-2008, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,735 times
We just recently purchased 5+ acres East of Ashdown, AR, with lake view. We are building on the site. The cost of construction is lower than most areas & costs of existing homes runs about $80/sf. We are close to Texarkana (20 miles) as the poster above said.
Not only that, we're close to grandbabies in Dallas... only 2.5 hrs by car. This is a great place for friendly folks, cost of living & quality of life.
Someone told me that Ashdown is an undiscovered gem... I tend to agree.
We have lived in Dallas, L.A., Allentown, PA, Columbus, OH, Kansas City & researched the NW ARK region for retirement. Then we found the Ashdown area.....
Would recommmend for you to visit... golf, lakes, nearby shopping & colleges (Tex A&M).
We will enjoy it here...
good luck in your quest...

Old 01-14-2008, 12:39 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
As a Minnesotan also, I found this thread to be very informative by giving a "snap shot" of many places in Arkansas and input from people living there.

Thanks (and good luck) to the first poster who started this thread and to all who responded.

I did not have to post myself because the info coming in was answering many of my questions.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
As for weather, I don't think coming from Minn any weather, anywhere in AR will seem cold to you.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas