Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:55 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,201 times

Advertisements

Hi, Some of them old houses have character and charm.
I love some of them older houses. Maybe if some one is from that Lewisville area, they can fill me in about what they have and how the schools are in that area.
I would also like to hear about the weather and bugs if there are any. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 05:31 PM

4 posts, read 16,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
...I forgot to add that my husband would like the size of town close to the same size we live in now, and that is 1900. Thanks again ...
I grew up in a little town called Murfreesboro (Pike Co, county seat). When I was there, 1970 census was around 2000. It is now around 1700ish. Better hurry!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 07:19 PM

Thanks Tippy, do you know much about the town now, as far as weather, schools etc. Thanks!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 13,850 times
Default North Central Arkansas

A town that you should investigate is Hardy, Arkansas. I grew up just to the west of Hardy in Izard county, and I have always thought that the Hardy-Highland area would be a good place to retire.
I am not sure about real estate prices and availability at this time, but information should be easily attainable through agencies there.
Good luck in your search.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:49 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Hi, We are from Minnesota, and we would like information as to where we would fit in best, and be able to afford.
It would be my husband and I, our 12 year old daughter, and two little Yorkies.
We would like to find a house close to what we would be able to sell ours for, and that is around $70,000 to $80,000, we would consider even around $100,000 if we could find the right place.
The house we would be interested in would be a three bedroom, double garage, and at least 1300 sq ft or bigger. I don't know what areas to look into, so could use some help.
Moving out of Minnesota, has been our choice now since my husband has gotten injured in a forklift accident that has left him disabled, after working in the same factory for 32 years, he has since applied for SSD, I myself am disabled due to fibromyalgia, and the start of RH, I just won my disabilty case so I will also be on SSD.
My daughter needs a good school, with the hope she will meet new friends as she has here now, she will be going into 7th grade. We would also like better weather then what we have here in Minnesota, way to cold, and to many mosquitoes.
I hope some one can help us on our quest to find our new home. If anyone can help, or need more answers to questions, I will do the best I can to help narrow down our search. Thank you!!!

I forgot to add that my husband would like the size of town close to the same size we live in now, and that is 1900. Thanks again.

Here is a web site that may help. Have a look at it.

Moderator cut: Sorry, no realtor web sites (use PM).

Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 PM

Thank you Junkman18, if anyone else has places to add, please post. Thank you.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 16,816 times
Stay out of East Arkansas mosquitoes very large an swarms big enough to tote off your yorkies. look to western Ark small towns, slow living living cost not to bad geared for low income, Sheridan a good place Arkadelphia good, Waldron good,Mena good mt. Ida living in north part of state is higher living cost and colder in winter not what you are use to . plus hilly in north Arkansas and it is harder to get around if handicapped.good luck we have a yorkie pup and we love him....

Old 12-13-2006, 06:50 PM

Default I can't believe someone added a post

Hi, I really got a kick out of what you wrote about the mosquitoes. If you picked on of those towns, what one would it be and why?
What is the humidity like in some of these towns? We have two Yorkie babies, and they are very spoiled. Thank you for helping, and if you think of some other towns let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles agar View Post
Stay out of East Arkansas mosquitoes very large an swarms big enough to tote off your yorkies. look to western Ark small towns, slow living living cost not to bad geared for low income, Sheridan a good place Arkadelphia good, Waldron good,Mena good mt. Ida living in north part of state is higher living cost and colder in winter not what you are use to . plus hilly in north Arkansas and it is harder to get around if handicapped.good luck we have a yorkie pup and we love him....

Old 12-13-2006, 07:12 PM

I just wanted to add that Arkansas seems to have a down home feeling, now if we could find the down home feeling in one of your beautiful towns we could fit right in. If any of you would pick a town, with no mosquitoes, low humidity, good schools, nice neighborhoods, and not to bad of weather, what town would you choose and why?
I know it is very pretty in the Ozarks, and believe it or not we even traveled through Booger Hollow on our way through one summer. It was a nice drive.
So put on you thinking caps and let me know what you all think. Thanks!!!! P.S. We still have our Booger Hollow mug, it says Population-7 counten' one coon dog. We still get a kick out of it.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:37 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,360 times
Yorkie Mom, noticing anything yet? Arkies are very protective of their little home areas! I'm a native to Harrison area (living around Baltimore now) and I'd definitely steer you to the Ozarks over any other region of the state. Now, lets talk brass tacks...Arkansans are very nice, but tend to be rather defensive and distrustful. In my travels across our great country, I've found that us Arkies (especially Ozarkers) are about the most difficult there are to get close to. We're very gracious and polite. But, as someone coming from out of state, you may be regarded with polite curiousity. I saw numerous people move in from out of state and never be able to integrate themself into the culture and leave in a year or less. You will have to prove your intentions to people. A lot of times, Arkansans see people move in and try to make their community like the place they came from and that won't go over, not at all. You'll quickly get the, "if you don't like it here, go back to where you came from" attitude. Please don't view these as negatives because Arkansas really is a fabulous place to live and if you approach the people right you will accepted into the community. Obviously, in towns over the 25k population range this isn't too big of a deal. But in the smaller towns where everyone knows everyone else and the purchase of so-and-so's old place by someone from out of state will be the topic of gossip for a few weeks, you will really have to be cognizant of the psychology of the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas