Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 04:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'd say it's not just becoming a tourist destination; it's going back to being a tourist destination. In the past, Hot Springs offered vast choices of spa treatments for health-conscious tourists. And by "spa", I don't mean frou-frou chocolate seaweed wraps; I mean vigorous steam saunas, like those found in Finland, Turkey, and Japan. The kind men won't shy away from. Heck, why not market internationally, to people in countries with a strong sauna culture?

Due to changing public tastes and many other reasons, Hot Springs moved far away from its spa roots. Many of its spas permanently closed or were turned into museums. I'm glad to see some of them survive. It's a bit sad that they feel like theme park-esque attractions, rather than the health treatment destinations they were in the past. But it's better than nothing. As long as none of them offer a cure for wellness.
About 5 years ago our daughter, 2 granddaughters and myself did our annual girls weekend. We stayed at time share in H Springs. It was mid winter but the opening day at the race track. Like idiots we didn't make reservations at the hot Springs spa and learned, when we arrived it would be a 3 hour wait. So much for that idea. We headed for the race track instead, rain and all. I will add, other than having fun with the girls it wasn't the best weekend. The weather sucked, no hot bath spa, didn't win a thing and the time share was the worse we have ever seen. Suck is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 11:22 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,904,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
We went to HS in '85 and stayed in the Arlington, did the baths and had a great time! Also had one of the best catfish dinners in my life. Last couple of times through AR, we have been in a hurry so couldn't stay there. Hope it is doing well. We loved it.

The Arlington was getting pretty well run down and the city got on them about it's condition including safety issues so the owners started working on it. It recently sold and the new owners say they are planning on spending millions $$$ to get it back to the way it once was. Let's hope.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:12 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Don't forget the nearby quartz crystal mines! Last spring, a cousin and I had a blast at Ron Coleman's mine near Jessieville, a short distance north of HS. Even if you fail to find treasures, you can certainly purchase beautiful, water-clear crystals at Coleman's and other rock shops in the area - but digging your own is more fun.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:20 AM

448 posts, read 365,964 times
Just got back from HS. They are trying to make it better and more of a tourist destination. I decided that the Village is the only place I would feel safe moving. Not that its unsafe other places. I looked at my old house I built and its about two doors down from where Eric murdered his wife and daughter. My old neighbor said that bums kept breaking in and squatting. He had to call the cops. Sad but the Village just does not get that kind of thing.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:15 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Problem with HS is jobs. We lived off airport road for several years. If it wasnt so touristy, the town will not survive. Magic springs is just becoming a huge bathroom playground. If you lived in the 90s, you remember it back in the day. It was a great place to be and had fun times. I worked at the new Magic springs when it open in 2000.. 2000-2002 i was employee their while i was in school. Needed some EMT hours and that place fit the bill. We moved out of town and never looked back. Still got fellow friends that end up working their still for hours they need, and nothing has changed. No new ride for thrill seekers, just another pool for the folks that still cant swim. Its became a huge babysitter playground. Lets drop our 8 year old off and go get drunk somewhere.. type stuff. Sorry, if your kid cant swim, you need to be their period.. Back to the point of this thread.. HS is not really growing.. its at a status quo till something can come in and bring huge jobs. Good paying jobs to offset those high rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas