U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Status: "Travel is fatal to prejudice bigotry and narrow mindedness" (set 25 days ago)

18,212 posts, read 18,464,648 times

Advertisements

We went with Nick's Catfish and BBQ in Carlisle. Big Welcome. Big portions. Big People!

Quick question: does everyone in Arkansas risk their lives on a daily basis on the roadways, emulating the final turn at Darlington Speedway, only in a rusty Kia or a pickup with the bed loaded with family members? Or did I just experience an anomaly?

Those folks were cray-cray today...

Just askin'.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 06-10-2017 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 06:34 PM

1,848 posts, read 2,238,823 times
Run!!!! Run for your life.......Either that or get yourself a rusty pickup, load you family in the back and hammer down. It's more fun if you disconnect the brakes.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Status: "Travel is fatal to prejudice bigotry and narrow mindedness" (set 25 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Run!!!! Run for your life.......Either that or get yourself a rusty pickup, load you family in the back and hammer down. It's more fun if you disconnect the brakes.
Man, I'm just a mild-mannered bluehair from the Pacific Northwest. We wear our seatbelts from birth and obey all the laws. Government is our mommy. Crossing The Land of Opportunity, I didn't know what was going on. Plus, I've eaten enough meat the past week in Tennessee and Arkansas to make my Washington friends fear for my life. They all think that the red states are filled with tattoed thugs with multiple piercings and enough armpit hair to hide a razorback. (Though I must admit that some of the females in West Seattle kinda fit that description. )

But I've done and learned some new stuff.

1. First time I ever chomped on an onion before biting into fried catfish.
2. First time I ever ate catfish.
3. Hush puppies are not only comfy suede shoes. They are also little fried cornbread balls.
4. Dollar General is not a military term, nor does it refer to anything costing only a dollar.
5. Gas in Arkansas costs sixty cents less per gallon than in Washington. ($2.09 vs $2.69).
6. We call junk for sale on front lawns Garage Sales. In Arkansas, these are Flea Markets. And they are ubiquitous.
7. In at least one convenience store we visited, I was the only human wearing socks, long pants, and a shirt with sleeves.
8. There is life without spandex.
9. We counted thirteen dead squashed skunks on the highway between Memphis and Harrison. What do you folks have against polecats, anyway?
10. I met at least three people whose accent was totally incomprehensible to me. One woman said something like: "Whamahawkanheeringimmetahmdatovaheaah!" She smiled, however, and seemed quite friendly, as has nearly every person we've met here. (I wonder how strange we must sound to them...!)
11. Every young person I've met has held the door for me and called me "sir."

More to come. We're driving back from Branson across Arkansas to Memphis next week. Graceland awaits.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:21 PM

1,880 posts, read 624,945 times
Yeledaf, you have really created a fabulous thread!

I live in central Texas, and we spent a week each summer in central Arkansas for about 20 summers when we had kids growing up, and for us Arkansas is hallowed ground. We visited the Lake Ouachita area near Hot Springs every year, and it's lovely. Lovely. Unlike Central Texas, the parks in Arkansas didn't seem to be crowded. You could enjoy heavenly properties in solitude. But I will concede that Arkansans sometimes . . . amused us with their antics.

I wish you had a longer time to enjoy Arkansas. There's a rhythm to life there that is so very soothing once you hit your stride. And also, I'm a little sad you didn't visit Toad Suck. But you could still work it into a conversation. "We had two choices of places to stop for lunch. One was in Toad Suck . . . " and you wouldn't get past that statement without people asking you about Toad Suck.

Anyway, best wishes on the rest of your journey.
Hope you continue to post. Very much enjoying your perspective.

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-10-2017 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-11-2017, 05:14 AM

336 posts, read 824,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Driving from Memphis to Little Rock tomorrow. Where should we stop for lunch? What should we order?
You'll starve before you get to Toad Suck. Gotta stop here.

NICK's BBQ & Catfish Restaurant Dining Carlisle, AR

Old 06-11-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
You'll starve before you get to Toad Suck. Gotta stop here.

NICK's BBQ & Catfish Restaurant Dining Carlisle, AR
See post #11, above. Nick's was just what the cardiologist ordered.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Man, I'm just a mild-mannered bluehair from the Pacific Northwest. We wear our seatbelts from birth and obey all the laws. Government is our mommy. Crossing The Land of Opportunity, I didn't know what was going on. Plus, I've eaten enough meat the past week in Tennessee and Arkansas to make my Washington friends fear for my life. They all think that the red states are filled with tattoed thugs with multiple piercings and enough armpit hair to hide a razorback. (Though I must admit that some of the females in West Seattle kinda fit that description. )

3. Hush puppies are not only comfy suede shoes. They are also little fried cornbread balls.
4. Dollar General is not a military term, nor does it refer to anything costing only a dollar.
5. Gas in Arkansas costs sixty cents less per gallon than in Washington. ($2.09 vs $2.69).
6. We call junk for sale on front lawns Garage Sales. In Arkansas, these are Flea Markets. And they are ubiquitous.
7. In at least one convenience store we visited, I was the only human wearing socks, long pants, and a shirt with sleeves.
9. We counted thirteen dead squashed skunks on the highway between Memphis and Harrison. What do you folks have against polecats, anyway?
10. I met at least three people whose accent was totally incomprehensible to me. One woman said something like: "Whamahawkanheeringimmetahmdatovaheaah!" She smiled, however, and seemed quite friendly, as has nearly every person we've met here. (I wonder how strange we must sound to them...!)

More to come. We're driving back from Branson across Arkansas to Memphis next week. Graceland awaits.
Dang, Yeledaf. We probably ran across each other back in the 1970's-80's. Two of my three sons were born in the Pacific Northwest. One in Sandpoint, Idaho and the other in Spokane, Washington. Welcome to Arkansas. This is a great state and the old guy that lives across the street from me plays the banjo. Just like in the movies. I sat in with them on the guitar once when they were having a little get together during a yard sale at their house. The stand-up bass player was named 'Blue Grass'. Have fun on your travels. Oh yeah....
3.2 quake near Harrison at 7:40AM

Last edited by slingshot; 06-11-2017 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 07:59 AM

Earthquake has been upgraded to a 3.6.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 AM

64,479 posts, read 71,769,474 times
Quote:

you learned the good and the bad about AR but you also didn't visit NWA which is almost a whole different world. Yes, the kids are very polite, it one of the first things we admired about people after we moved here.
Yes the part of our state you visited, the accents can be a little different than what you are used to, but in the NWA corner you don't really hear many deep accents. At least you can understand what people are saying.
All those dead skunks, guess you must have run out of fingers or you would have told us how many armadillos you counted or maybe we just have more on our side of the state. You also must have seen as many dead opossums.
Have to wonder, if it was your first time eating Cat Fish, will it be your last? We have lived here for 9 years and I will take the fish in your region over Cat Fish any day.
Tattoo, we see plenty, but I am guessing you do see more.
Isn't it a fun part of life, seeing how others live. For each of us, there is a right and wrong place, but every state has it pros. and every state has its own personality.

Enjoy Graceland. We were there about 20 years ago, loved it. Love Branson as well.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:50 AM

64,479 posts, read 71,769,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Earthquake has been upgraded to a 3.6.
Have to say, as much as it is a different experience for all of us in AR, 3.2 or 3.6: if you were born and raised in CA or even other parts of the West coast you would probably not have even felt the one today. Well that is a bit of an exaggeration but I am always amazed at how people react to what we use to blow off growing up. Anything less than 5 many didn't feel or they didn't comment about at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas