U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:47 PM
Status: "Travel is fatal to prejudice bigotry and narrow mindedness" (set 20 days ago)

18,189 posts, read 18,442,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you learned the good and the bad about AR but you also didn't visit NWA which is almost a whole different world. Yes, the kids are very polite, it one of the first things we admired about people after we moved here.
Yes the part of our state you visited, the accents can be a little different than what you are used to, but in the NWA corner you don't really hear many deep accents. At least you can understand what people are saying.
All those dead skunks, guess you must have run out of fingers or you would have told us how many armadillos you counted or maybe we just have more on our side of the state. You also must have seen as many dead opossums.
Have to wonder, if it was your first time eating Cat Fish, will it be your last? We have lived here for 9 years and I will take the fish in your region over Cat Fish any day.
Tattoo, we see plenty, but I am guessing you do see more.
Isn't it a fun part of life, seeing how others live. For each of us, there is a right and wrong place, but every state has it pros. and every state has its own personality.

Enjoy Graceland. We were there about 20 years ago, loved it. Love Branson as well.
Thank you for the kind observations. We have been advised by some friends in Branson that we need to see Eureka Springs on our way back to Memphis. Hope we can do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 05:14 AM

64,428 posts, read 71,683,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Thank you for the kind observations. We have been advised by some friends in Branson that we need to see Eureka Springs on our way back to Memphis. Hope we can do so.
Eureka Springs is a wonderful tourist town. I do hope you have time to spend a few hours there. Is it a place where I would want to live? No, but it is a wonderful place to visit.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 AM

7,040 posts, read 6,126,120 times
Yes, do check out Eureka Springs, and if you have time, see Blanchard Springs Caverns near Mountain View as well. It is the most beautiful cave I have ever seen in my life - and they're offering concerts in the cave this summer (and into the fall)! The cave tours vary from extremely easy paved trails with no steps to wild cave experiences - even those in wheelchairs can visit.

Mountain View offers traditional craft demonstrations and sales plus multiple traditional music concerts each week, both at the adjacent state park and in town. Charming downtown, too, with native stone storefronts and lots of antique and craft shops.

Arkansas is a beautiful place, so take advantage of your visit and see all that you can while you're there.

Have fun!

Old 06-13-2017, 08:39 AM

2,252 posts, read 3,765,143 times
Eureka Springs ranks with our favorite spots we've been to, and we never even got around to spending any significant time there before moving back to the upper Midwest. So beautiful and charming.

Miss Arkansas so much.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Eureka Springs ranks with our favorite spots we've been to, and we never even got around to spending any significant time there before moving back to the upper Midwest. So beautiful and charming.

Miss Arkansas so much.
Hopefully one day you will be able to call AR your home. It will still be around and a great place to live, 5, 10 or more years from now.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:05 AM

2,252 posts, read 3,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hopefully one day you will be able to call AR your home. It will still be around and a great place to live, 5, 10 or more years from now.
Don't get me wrong....we love it here in Minnesota, and I can easily see us here long term. But my beautiful Arkansas....

It just keeps calling...

Old 06-14-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Don't get me wrong....we love it here in Minnesota, and I can easily see us here long term. But my beautiful Arkansas....

It just keeps calling...
I know you love it there; in fact, I am guessing so many of our friends from Minnesota end up retiring in NWA because it reminds them a little of their home state with much better winters. Now on the other side of the scale you are enjoying mild beautiful summers as we start to swelter. Only a week ago we were asking God for the rains to stop and the sun to wake us up every morning. Be careful what you wish for they always say. I am sure God is thinking, you asked for it, you got it!!!! plus a little more than you wanted the next few days.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:54 PM

7,040 posts, read 6,126,120 times
Summer is a good time to soak in those cool, blue-green, spring-fed northern Arkansas creeks and rivers - and to explore Blanchard Springs Caverns.

Are the Hope watermelons ripe yet? Another Arkansas summertime delight...

Old 06-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Status: "Travel is fatal to prejudice bigotry and narrow mindedness" (set 20 days ago)

18,189 posts, read 18,442,112 times
Back in Memphis. Missed Eureka Springs (time constraints). Stopped at Nick's again. Another first: fried okra -- a kind of chewy green tube.

Mrs. Yeledaf and I stopped in Greenbriar to stretch our legs and switch drivers. She noticed one of those beautiful magnolia trees with the creamy ivory blossoms (so much more succulent-looking than the pale pink ones in the NW, which lose their blooms in early spring) and was a angling to get a photo, when a kind gentleman passerby reached up and plucked one for her. The flower rode with us all the way to Memphis, gifting us with its citrusy scent, and currently rests in a glass of water in our room here in Graceland.

We love Arkansas. We're not telling anyone, but keeping it our secret. And we're coming back.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:28 PM

1,856 posts, read 615,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Back in Memphis. Missed Eureka Springs (time constraints). Stopped at Nick's again. Another first: fried okra -- a kind of chewy green tube.

Mrs. Yeledaf and I stopped in Greenbriar to stretch our legs and switch drivers. She noticed one of those beautiful magnolia trees with the creamy ivory blossoms (so much more succulent-looking than the pale pink ones in the NW, which lose their blooms in early spring) and was a angling to get a photo, when a kind gentleman passerby reached up and plucked one for her. The flower rode with us all the way to Memphis, gifting us with its citrusy scent, and currently rests in a glass of water in our room here in Graceland.

We love Arkansas. We're not telling anyone, but keeping it our secret. And we're coming back.
Yeah. shhhhhhh. It's gorgeous. And the prettiest spots aren't overrun. ;D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas