Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Back in Memphis. Missed Eureka Springs (time constraints). Stopped at Nick's again. Another first: fried okra -- a kind of chewy green tube.

Mrs. Yeledaf and I stopped in Greenbriar to stretch our legs and switch drivers. She noticed one of those beautiful magnolia trees with the creamy ivory blossoms (so much more succulent-looking than the pale pink ones in the NW, which lose their blooms in early spring) and was a angling to get a photo, when a kind gentleman passerby reached up and plucked one for her. The flower rode with us all the way to Memphis, gifting us with its citrusy scent, and currently rests in a glass of water in our room here in Graceland.

We love Arkansas. We're not telling anyone, but keeping it our secret. And we're coming back.
we promise not to tell anyone either. Ya All come back, hear? or is it here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 02:13 PM

490 posts, read 1,266,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Summer is a good time to soak in those cool, blue-green, spring-fed northern Arkansas creeks and rivers - and to explore Blanchard Springs Caverns.

Are the Hope watermelons ripe yet? Another Arkansas summertime delight...
I drove through Hope Friday and again today returning home and did not see a single watermelon sign. I guess they're not ready yet. The watermelon festival is August 10 so we may have a while to wait for those beauties.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:28 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
I drove through Hope Friday and again today returning home and did not see a single watermelon sign. I guess they're not ready yet. The watermelon festival is August 10 so we may have a while to wait for those beauties.
They're worth waiting for! I remember one of my relatives visiting my grandparents once when I was about nine or ten - he had a Hope watermelon with him which filled the entire trunk of his car, a big typical '50s sedan. Biggest melon I've ever seen, to this day.

That was probably late summer, come to think of it, as my parents and I usually visited in August before school started back home. Watermelons, Hope or otherwise, made those hot summer days a lot more fun.

Now, I have a younger cousin who is a "watermelonologist" - he's developed several popular varieties. Who knows, maybe it's the influence of those famous Hope, Arkansas melons that got passed down the family!

Old 06-18-2017, 11:27 PM

448 posts, read 365,909 times
There is not much between Memphis and LR. But if you get to LR at lunch time I would go down town to the flying fish. Great fish tacos. There are several good places to eat down town.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
There is not much between Memphis and LR. But if you get to LR at lunch time I would go down town to the flying fish. Great fish tacos. There are several good places to eat down town.
The OP has already completed his trip to Arkansas. Perhaps your recommendation will be helpful to visitors to LR, however.

As I noted previously, the Old Sawmill Restaurant's buffet in Forrest City offers traditional Southern favorites at a very reasonable cost. Very homespun; nothing fancy here - just good food and pleasant service. It's just east of I-40 at the main Forrest City exit, and often fresh Arkansas peaches and other produce are for sale at a nearby stand.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:51 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The OP has already completed his trip to Arkansas. Perhaps your recommendation will be helpful to visitors to LR, however.

As I noted previously, the Old Sawmill Restaurant's buffet in Forrest City offers traditional Southern favorites at a very reasonable cost. Very homespun; nothing fancy here - just good food and pleasant service. It's just east of I-40 at the main Forrest City exit, and often fresh Arkansas peaches and other produce are for sale at a nearby stand.
Did you say PEACHES?

Okay, that's it. We're coming back.

....now how do I do GoFundMe? Let's see...."Senior citizen, disabled veteran, grandfather, needs price of ticket to Little Rock to address peach cravings..."

Old 06-20-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Did you say PEACHES?

....now how do I do GoFundMe? Let's see...."Senior citizen, disabled veteran, grandfather, needs price of ticket to Little Rock to address peach cravings..."

You don't even have to go all the way to Little Rock, though it's a good idea - Forrest City is closer to Memphis. I bought wonderful peaches at that fruit stand just a little over a year ago, en route to a family gathering in LR. A cousin later told me that Crowley's Ridge, which is adjacent to Forrest City, is famous for its peaches. The ones I got certainly were a testament to that claim!

Now, if your taste also runs to giant watermelons, Hope is the go-to place. 125 pounders are nothing unusual. See posts #32 and 33 above for more info.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:33 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,584 times
Quote:
Did you say PEACHES?

The peaches are grown on Crowleys Ridge between Forrest City and Wynne. It was that little hump you went over just east of Forrest City. It starts in Helena and runs north into the bootheel of Missouri. I lived in Wynne for a few years and enjoyed many of those wonderful peaches along with swatting my share of mosquitoes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowley%27s_Ridge

Old 06-24-2017, 08:59 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Clarksville, between Little Rock and Fort Smith, has wonderful peaches. My mom used buy peaches there and can them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas