U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 PM

17,858 posts, read 17,931,444 times

Advertisements

Driving from Memphis to Little Rock tomorrow. Where should we stop for lunch? What should we order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 PM

749 posts, read 216,688 times
You should stop at Toad Suck Bucks in Houston, Arkansas, right outside of the town of Toad Suck Arkansas. (Where? Toad Suck. Um, what did you say? Toad Suck).

Memphis to Little Rock is only 2.5 hours drive - so it's not like you really HAVE to stop halfway there. You can go a little out of your way to eat in Toad Suck.

And this will give you party conversations for years, saying well, Arkansas is such a beautiful state and if you're traveling through you don't want to miss Toad Suck.

Really.

Toad Suck Buck's - Home

Old 06-09-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You should stop at Toad Suck Bucks in Houston, Arkansas, right outside of the town of Toad Suck Arkansas. (Where? Toad Suck. Um, what did you say? Toad Suck).

Memphis to Little Rock is only 2.5 hours drive - so it's not like you really HAVE to stop halfway there. You can go a little out of your way to eat in Toad Suck.

And this will give you party conversations for years, saying well, Arkansas is such a beautiful state and if you're traveling through you don't want to miss Toad Suck.

Really.

Toad Suck Buck's - Home
Thank you, Ma'am. We'll give Toad Suck Buck's a try!

Old 06-09-2017, 09:49 PM

225 posts, read 202,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Driving from Memphis to Little Rock tomorrow. Where should we stop for lunch? What should we order?
Conway (Toad Suck) is on the other side of Little Rock, way out of your way.

The Old Sawmill Cafe in Forrest City is very good. South side of I-40, there will be signs for it.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:00 PM

749 posts, read 216,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post

The Old Sawmill Cafe in Forrest City is very good. South side of I-40, there will be signs for it.
Yeah, but jimnelson, really? A cafe in Forrest City vs. Toad Suck? Live a little. Really. Have a story to tell.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:13 AM

Thank you both. We'll have to see what time our tummies get to grumbling...

Old 06-10-2017, 10:54 AM

3,670 posts, read 5,833,467 times
Arkansas BBQ is wonderful but I don't have a restaurant recommendation.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:33 AM

6,538 posts, read 5,729,742 times
Quote:

Love the Old Sawmill - modest appearance, family-operated very reasonable buffet, lots of traditional Southern dishes, simply prepared, quick service, and just off I-40. Watch for fresh peach stands nearby - Crowley's Ridge runs through Forrest City, and is noted for its delicious fresh peaches.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:37 AM

6,538 posts, read 5,729,742 times
Quote:

Yes, Toad Suck is 35 or 40 miles beyond Little Rock, though close to the stretch of I-40 which runs through Conway.

OP, do you have other Arkansas travel plans? Seeing the sights of Little Rock, visiting Petit Jean State Resort Park atop the mountain, cooling off in Blanchard Springs Caverns near Mountain View, which offers traditional crafts and music? Digging for (or buying) quartz crystals around Hot Springs?

The Memphis -Little Rock stretch is flat and can be l-o-n-g, other than the brief crossing of hilly, wooded Crowley's Ridge - but watch for the landscape to change drastically at Little Rock. Check out Pinnacle Mountain State Park if you can, but make sure you know what awaits hikers near the top of the mountain and wear appropriate footwear, if you decide to try a climb.

Have fun! And plan to dress lightly - summer is here, and Arkansas can be quite hot.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:42 AM

62,801 posts, read 68,940,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Love the Old Sawmill - modest appearance, family-operated very reasonable buffet, lots of traditional Southern dishes, simply prepared, quick service, and just off I-40. Watch for fresh peach stands nearby - Crowley's Ridge runs through Forrest City, and is noted for its delicious fresh peaches.
I have to agree; yes, the name Todd Suck would make an awesome story to tell, I don't think an awesome enough to go way out of the way. There are too many other great little mom and pop places to try. and there are many other fun named cities the OP can go back home and tell their friends and family about. OP, as for good to remember when in AR, I really hate to admit it, but I really don't think we have one dish that says "AR" on it. We have great little places to eat or you can go totally upscale and eat at top of the line eateries, but that still doesn't mean we have one true native dish.

Hope your trip is fun or should we say was fun. I think you are in AR now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas