U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:09 PM

45 posts, read 69,084 times

Advertisements

There are a couple of properties for sale in Salem--Fulton County. Each is 5+ Acres, outside of town.

There is a hospital in Salem. We are looking for a quiet place to retire....anyone with experience on Salem and/or Fulton County ?

What are the local Crime stats?
Weather
Fire & Food Hazards?
Toxic superfund sites?
Hunting and fishing?
Welcoming of Californians moving into their town (LOL) I think I know the answer to that one.
Availability of high speed internet?
Local Baptist churches?

Can Anyone from this area speak towards any these questions?

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 04:55 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,024,425 times
Several of your questions can be answered right here in the demographics of Salem on City-Data....

Fishing

You'll find a church on every corner....speaking figuratively of course.....after all AR is in the Bible Belt.
Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the response.

I wanted to add some questions to the original post, but it seems I can not edit it....not sure why...

Other Northern Arkansas Questions:

1) Are government rules and regulations overly intrusive?
2) Can property owners hunt on their own property without licenses or permits?
3) How do people farm? I read Arkansas soil is poor.
4) Are people friendly to outsiders?
5) Are there racial tensions?
6) Does it require permits to raise chickens or goats or ducks....etc., for personal not commercial use..
7) Are neighbors in the suburban or rural areas overly concerned with sporatic noise? Barking dogs? Crowing roosters? Gunshots (target practice on private property)?
8) How is the water quality?
9) Are there any VA hospitals or clinics?
10) How is the weather generally? Do you need air conditioning to be comfortable in summer?

What other questions should someone moving to this area be asking?

Any recommendations for knowledgeable northern Arkansas real estate agents?

May the Lord bless and reveal Himself to everyone in this troubled world.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:24 AM

62,982 posts, read 69,210,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob043055 View Post
Thanks for the response.

I wanted to add some questions to the original post, but it seems I can not edit it....not sure why...

6) Does it require permits to raise chickens or goats or ducks....etc., for personal not commercial use..
7) Are neighbors in the suburban or rural areas overly concerned with sporatic noise? Barking dogs? Crowing roosters? Gunshots (target practice on private property)?
10) How is the weather generally? Do you need air conditioning to be comfortable in summer?

I certainly can not respond to most of your questions as we live in the beautiful NWA and not just NA. I can add a few things: No rules and regulations will not be overly intrusive. Like any city or town, there will be rules governing some things, but not to the place of being annoying.
People in Ar are friendly period but in some areas more accepting than other areas. The smaller the city or town, the least they will accept outsiders.
as for realtors, I am not sure, but I do not think we can recommend businesses here on city data. Anyone with a suggestion is free to send you a PM.
A/C anyplace in AR is recommended.
If you are living in the country outside the city, obveiously people will not be too concerned about aninmal noises. That is what country living is all about.
AR soil may not be the best, but we grow a heck of a lot of wonderful produce in the state.

I will add, even though AR is part of the Bible belt, some of the state isn't over run with bible thumpers, but he smaller cities and towns will have more than their share.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:50 PM
sub

92 posts, read 53,104 times
https://www.agfc.com/en/

That's the Game and Fish commission website.
Looks like you may need a license on private property. You can hunt certain pests year round I believe.
Baptist is the most common denomination in Arkansas, I'm almost certain. SBC to be specific. Being Baptist might offset any apprehension about you being from California. It could be your "in".
The soil is great in eastern Arkansas, but the Ozarks can support a hobby farm.
Rural areas are generally not zoned much if at all. That's actually the big draw. Doubt much in the way of permits would be needed. You might check the local county's website just in case.
If you live in a rural area, I'd be surprised if anyone complained about dogs, chickens or gunshots. It's their way of life.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:55 PM

114 posts, read 92,027 times
Resident hunting/fishing licenses are very reasonable. Non-resident substantially higher, but comparable to neighboring states. Soil quality varies greatly, and, like the weather, is somewhat dependent on altitude. Humidity can be extremely unpleasant, again somewhat depending on altitude. Plan on air conditioning being required.

Water quality can vary tremendously. Some rural areas have a fair amount of spring water, but most rural water will be from wells.

VA facilities in Fayetteville, North Little Rock, and Little Rock, plus Memphis, TN.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:30 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,045,173 times
A lot of your questions are going to be very specific to whatever community you choose to live in. I have never been to Salem or Fulton County. As for "poor soil", you are correct in that the Ozarks haven't traditionally been an area for crops, but more ranching and poultry farming if anything. About half of Arkansas has pretty darned "good soil". Mountainous areas and good soil rarely go together.

Racial tensions: Don't these exist everywhere? Unless an area is extremely homogenous, I'd say there's some level of racial tension. Anywhere in the USA.

As for air conditioning, you'll need it in summer. I say that while sitting in my house which has not had the AC on for the past two days, though. A couple of open windows and a fan going is very comfortable right now. Today's high here was 82, but we have a shady yard and an old, plaster walled pre-war (like a cave) cottage with strategically placed windows for easy airflow.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:16 AM

62,982 posts, read 69,210,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
A lot of your questions are going to be very specific to whatever community you choose to live in. I have never been to Salem or Fulton County. As for "poor soil", you are correct in that the Ozarks haven't traditionally been an area for crops, but more ranching and poultry farming if anything. About half of Arkansas has pretty darned "good soil". Mountainous areas and good soil rarely go together.

Racial tensions: Don't these exist everywhere? Unless an area is extremely homogenous, I'd say there's some level of racial tension. Anywhere in the USA.

As for air conditioning, you'll need it in summer. I say that while sitting in my house which has not had the AC on for the past two days, though. A couple of open windows and a fan going is very comfortable right now. Today's high here was 82, but we have a shady yard and an old, plaster walled pre-war (like a cave) cottage with strategically placed windows for easy airflow.
We keep our air set at 74 during the day and 72 at night.I don't think it has gone on, like said, for the past few days, but it might, very well today. This has just been such a strange season, from late fall until now: cooler spring and warmer winter. Go figure?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:59 PM

3,639 posts, read 1,139,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob043055 View Post
Thanks for the response.

I am well acquainted with the Salem area as I live about 25 miles SE .
Salem /Fulton County is safe and that area is very scenic.
Once out of the city limits, there are few rules/regulations.

I have friends who have a beef farm near Salem. He uses the VA Clinic in Mountain Home ( about 35 miles away ) and if he needs a VA Hospital they refer him to Little Rock.

Soil........I wouldn't say the soil is that poor, but it is the Ozarks and that means tilling the soil is nearly impossible due to ROCKS,ROCKS,ROCKS.

North of Salem is very scenic ( all the way to MO border)
There are Amish north of Salem who have produce for sale. They have Southfork River valley land and thus there are no rocks there and it can be tilled.

Weather...........I moved from Minnesota in 2012 and I think the weather in the Ozarks is perfect .
4 seasons with mild winters.

One thing I really like about the Ozarks compared to the flatlands is we have hardly any misquotes.
No flooded rice fields to draw them.

35 miles west is Mountain Home and 2 big lakes.

Anyone wanting a more relaxed slower paced life..........Salem/Fulton County would be great.
Not the best for shopping,though.
Walmart in Ash Flat 18 miles away and a huge farm supply store in both Ash Flat and Thayer MO ( ABOUT 2O MILES EAST )

A big drawback for most of our area is lack of jobs.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to answer.

I forgot to ask about internet connections, how to folk connect to the internet? Are there high speed connections available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas