U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM

369 posts, read 129,927 times

Advertisements

Why was this installed in the first place? Are all religious groups allowed to have a monument on public property and access to use the land they fund via their taxes to display their beliefs?

This man should not have destroyed property. The higher court systems of our country would have ordered the removal if they found it violated the US Constitution and was considered a law that was an establishment of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM

345 posts, read 67,182 times
What a fool idiot moron. Now he will get hit with a felony and be forced to pay for another one to replace it. Does this idiot think he is William Wallace?

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

63,067 posts, read 69,283,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The Jewish people don't believe the story. Building this monument to a fictional story is proof that evangelicals hate anyone who is different. It's just a way of putting up walls from the depth of their stone hearts. Their own "scriptures" even refute them and condemn their actions.
That is the most ridiculous post or reasoning I have ever seen and also maybe one of the most filled with hate. Why would you even think something like that? I think many of us realize the Jews do not believe the story but that has nothing to do with placing the statue or about the person who destroyed it. Atheist do not believe either and agnostics question it. Let me tell you, I am a Christian but not truly evangelical and I do not hate anyone. Our son in law is Jewish; he would be appalled at your posting and we have a granddaughter that would probably be defined as an agnostic. She too would wonder where you are getting such an idea?

CLT4; you are missing the point altogether unless you think what this guy did is ok. The point is, he was and has in the past destroyed property. It has nothing really to do with beliefs or the right the people did or did not have to build the monument. The legality of the structure should be debated on a different thread.

Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Those of us who truly believe "the story" don't hate anyone. "Love thy neighbor as thyself."

The stories are real, though. They are written by God through men for us to benefit ourselves. No one should hate anyone. We can hate their actions, but not them.
you are so right and I believe we need to remember, in translation words and stories can often result in misunderstanding.

Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

369 posts, read 129,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
CLT4; you are missing the point altogether unless you think what this guy did is ok. The point is, he was and has in the past destroyed property. It has nothing really to do with beliefs or the right the people did or did not have to build the monument. The legality of the structure should be debated on a different thread.
I don't think what the guy did is ok. If you think something is illegal, you take it to court - you don't destroy it. He will rightfully serve jail time for taking matters into his own hands. I guess I'll read the other thread to find out the origin of why this structure was even built and if citizens of Arkansas view it as legal.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,714,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I don't think what the guy did is ok. If you think something is illegal, you take it to court - you don't destroy it. He will rightfully serve jail time for taking matters into his own hands. I guess I'll read the other thread to find out the origin of why this structure was even built and if citizens of Arkansas view it as legal.

Where is this other thread? On the Arkansas forum? Why can't the history behind building this monument be discussed on this thread? I am having a hard time understanding why other monuments regarding other religious backgrounds can't be built also. Doesn't seem right.

Ah, okay. I guess this is in the Current Events forum. Seems more like a political issue to me, but still don't understand why the history can't be discussed on the Arkansas forum.

As a side note, I don't agree with what this person did and he should face consequences just like any other person who breaks the law.

Last edited by ennaf; Yesterday at 09:39 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

9,377 posts, read 5,817,257 times
As a Christian, I see these monuments as modern-day equivalents of the Golden Calf.
I'd prefer they not be built but once built I prefer they stand as visible reminders of the folly of mingling church and state.

Of course no one has any right to destroy or deface them. The law will properly deal with the person who did it.

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Thanks and I certainly do see your side to the issue. Even though I am a christian and a pretty dedicated church goer, I question some of these issues as well. I just think what he did is awful, his history is awful and I don't care what his problem is, he needs to be behind a wall or fence somewhere.

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,131,248 times
I don't see that "separation of church and state" means that putting up a monument on public property is against the law. It means that "church" cannot be a part of government in a leading capacity. In other words, "church" cannot have any power in government. Regardless of the religion of that monument, the words have good meaning and if everyone would follow those words wouldn't this be a better world? I think so.

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

36,345 posts, read 19,880,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I don't see that "separation of church and state" means that putting up a monument on public property is against the law. It means that "church" cannot be a part of government in a leading capacity. In other words, "church" cannot have any power in government. Regardless of the religion of that monument, the words have good meaning and if everyone would follow those words wouldn't this be a better world? I think so.
The issue is that the state cannot promote a certain religion. The Arkansas legislature made a law to erect this monument. And when another religion applied to put up their monument, that same legislature rushed to make law to make it virtually impossible for any other religion to do so. That would suggest that the Arkansas legislature, ie government, ie state, is not taking an impartial view of religion, but is in fact promoting one religion over all others. That's a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas