U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:49 PM

1,869 posts, read 2,284,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The issue is that the state cannot promote a certain religion. The Arkansas legislature made a law to erect this monument. And when another religion applied to put up their monument, that same legislature rushed to make law to make it virtually impossible for any other religion to do so. That would suggest that the Arkansas legislature, ie government, ie state, is not taking an impartial view of religion, but is in fact promoting one religion over all others. That's a problem.

Okay, but promoting a religion is different than having a certain religion with power within the government. IMO. Just to be clear here...I haven't set foot in a church for a service in over 40 years but I do consider myself a Christian. Some people might not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 04:52 PM

Power in the government, to me, means that the church would be making decisions for the local, state or federal government. That's what separation of church and state means.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:56 PM

5,037 posts, read 1,912,912 times
The Huckabees are going to be upset....

Old 06-29-2017, 05:34 PM

6,706 posts, read 10,714,207 times
To me, this incident is symbolic of the kind of violence that the church invokes. Just like the attack on the World Trade Center, but on a smaller and more symbolic scale. Those attackers on 911 thought that the towers were full of believing Christians based on their propaganda. They didn't know that there were people of other faiths killed in that attack.

They didn't realize that American people are not so narrow. Though in light of recent elections I'm not always so sure.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:00 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,120,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob043055 View Post
Reminds me of the way ISIS is destroying all of the ancient temples in Iraq and Syria.

Destruction of things (and people) who disagree with them is typical of Islamic fundamentalists.
Does destruction of manufacturing jobs and people's livelihoods through them also count?

How about destruction of programs that helped the poor and working class?

How about destruction of public education by charter schools?

Destruction of the environment and habitats for endangered animals?

How about destruction of an ability for someone to obtain a living wage?

All of those things were done by Republicans and all of them have hurt far more people than some stupid monument at the state capitol.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Does destruction of manufacturing jobs and people's livelihoods through them also count?

How about destruction of programs that helped the poor and working class?

How about destruction of public education by charter schools?

Destruction of the environment and habitats for endangered animals?

How about destruction of an ability for someone to obtain a living wage?

All of those things were done by Republicans and all of them have hurt far more people than some stupid monument at the state capitol.

You are absolutely correct. But those are not the subject of this thread.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:51 PM

5,688 posts, read 9,359,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Okay, but promoting a religion is different than having a certain religion with power within the government. IMO. Just to be clear here...I haven't set foot in a church for a service in over 40 years but I do consider myself a Christian. Some people might not.
Kinda hard for a specific religion *not* to have at least a strong perception of power if there are big granite monuments all over public property. Part of the reason that after an oppressive government is overthrown, the people often deface monuments on government property. Like saddam Hussein's statue of himself. If it really is "public" property, any monuments need to reflect the public's views, and not disenfranchise those that believe differently- especially in regards to religion. We can argue about whether the founders were christians, but there should be no argument at all that they expected tolerance of other religions and also no religion.

Im only bummed that it took a schizophrenic to knock the damn thing down- the townspeople should have never allowed the installation in the first place.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Kinda hard for a specific religion *not* to have at least a strong perception of power if there are big granite monuments all over public property. Part of the reason that after an oppressive government is overthrown, the people often deface monuments on government property. Like saddam Hussein's statue of himself. If it really is "public" property, any monuments need to reflect the public's views, and not disenfranchise those that believe differently- especially in regards to religion. We can argue about whether the founders were christians, but there should be no argument at all that they expected tolerance of other religions and also no religion.

Im only bummed that it took a schizophrenic to knock the damn thing down- the townspeople should have never allowed the installation in the first place.

The townspeople are the ones that elected the government officials that allowed it to be put there. Keep in mind we're talking about Arkansas.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:22 PM

608 posts, read 284,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
The townspeople are the ones that elected the government officials that allowed it to be put there. Keep in mind we're talking about Arkansas.
What you are describing is majority rule. The majority does rule, WITHIN THE BOUNDS OF THE US CONSTITUTION.

So if a town became majority Muslim and elected people to enact a law that all women must wear burkas,
should it be legal to force all the Christian women to wear burkas? Simply because they are the majority? OR...... do we have a Constitution that would prohibit that? If the majority (whether Christian, Muslim, atheist, Jewish, etc...) can do whatever they want.... what's the point of the Constitution?

If you agree all the women should wear burkas simply because of the majority rule, then I guess we just have a different interpretation of the Constitution, the rights of all American citizens regardless of faith, and our country.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 PM

343 posts, read 105,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Sad...... maybe it is time to revisit Southern independence if this is how liberal Americans see us. I am tired and out of tolerance for these kinds of people. When i see news stories like this one I don't think the kindest of thoughts towards these atheists, leftists and PC types. There are several posters in this thread supporting the vandals who carried this attack out. Left wingers are enemies of our people.
I'm more libertarian than "librul". What I meant by my statement was that southern states have done much to restrict the rights of racial/ethnic minorities and gays. Southern states tend to value the rights of business much more than the rights of the individual. This is the main reason (an explosion of businesses due to lax regulations)why those from high cost states flick to the much cheaper states. Many of them would not leave if not for that. States like Ark, Tex, Ala., et al tend to use heavy handed tactics to promote their religion and "shove it in people's faces".

Last edited by Hopelesscause; 06-30-2017 at 12:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: