Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:00 AM

7,021 posts, read 14,412,205 times

Advertisements

Agree with that guy's message.. disagree with his means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 05:46 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I don't see that "separation of church and state" means that putting up a monument on public property is against the law. It means that "church" cannot be a part of government in a leading capacity. In other words, "church" cannot have any power in government. Regardless of the religion of that monument, the words have good meaning and if everyone would follow those words wouldn't this be a better world? I think so.
Though I do question some of the decisions that are made in regards to religion, I think you and I see it pretty much the same way. The hard part, our courts do not agree with us or they do not always interpret the law the way we do. I have always thought what our forefathers were trying to say was: religion can not be mandatory and the government can not tell us how we must think. I thought that was one of the reasons they left Europe and formed our wonderful country?

Old 06-30-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The Huckabees are going to be upset....
you do know many of them do not live in AR anymore don't you or do you and they will not be any more upset than most of us at the destroying of public property....

kttam186290; your response belongs on the political thread and has nothing to do with the topic we are discussing.

Zippman: You know the monument is probably going to be rebuilt, so what did the nuts actions really do? And why do you agree with him may I ask?

Old 06-30-2017, 07:03 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,397,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Though I do question some of the decisions that are made in regards to religion, I think you and I see it pretty much the same way. The hard part, our courts do not agree with us or they do not always interpret the law the way we do. I have always thought what our forefathers were trying to say was: religion can not be mandatory and the government can not tell us how we must think. I thought that was one of the reasons they left Europe and formed our wonderful country?
There ya go. You said it very well. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:51 AM

4,963 posts, read 5,215,560 times
Quote:
The townspeople are the ones that elected the government officials that allowed it to be put there. Keep in mind we're talking about Arkansas.
The government there is corrupt. They no longer represent the people. They represent a lot of self interest groups.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:18 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,728,918 times
Quote:
Okay, but promoting a religion is different than having a certain religion with power within the government. IMO. Just to be clear here...I haven't set foot in a church for a service in over 40 years but I do consider myself a Christian. Some people might not.
When a government promotes a specific religion, and takes steps to exclude other religions (as the Arkansas legislature has done), that's indicative that a religion has power within the government.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:19 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,728,918 times
Quote:
Power in the government, to me, means that the church would be making decisions for the local, state or federal government. That's what separation of church and state means.
Power in the government, to me, means that elected officials of a specific faith would be imposing tenets of their religion on citizens, regardless of the religious beliefs of those citizens. That's what separation of church and state is meant to prevent.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:34 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,397,468 times
What to do.. There's 5660 people in the Arkansas town in which I live and there are 32 churches.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
The government there is corrupt. They no longer represent the people. They represent a lot of self interest groups.
I assume you are talking about the government in AR or are you talking about the entire USA? Do you live here, either in AR or America. Unless you can answer yes to both you do not know what you are talking about? Do you really think this government is as bad or worse than other governments? In case you don't know people in AR happen to mostly like their government so what special interest groups are you talking about?

Maybe we are supposed to think whatever Sarah says it the last word!!!

Old 06-30-2017, 11:13 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,716,537 times
I wonder if the Freedom From Religion Foundation will pay the man's attorney fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: