Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 03:10 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,696,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just because we are not atheists doesn't make us backwards, anymore than being an atheist makes a person bad. We are free in this country to believe the way we want. A monument, the 10 commandments in the house of congress or say a Jewish Star of David on the front of a public building does no harm. Why are these things so bad? Do you have any idea if anyone has ever tried to put up a monument of a different religion other than Christianity?
It would certainly be interesting to see if people responded that way to non Judeo Christian monuments on the state capital. A monument for the 5 Pillars of Islam on the capital grounds. Would you support that? The 5 Pillars of Islam etched around the capital in stone?

The faces of the gods of Hinduism carved in stone around the capital? I mean, nobody is favored. They aren't "bad" so it doesn't do harm to put them on a building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 03:35 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
again,, you are off base in my opinion so we will have to agree to disagree. I could take your post apart a million times, but I believe everyone has a right to voice their opinion even if you have no idea how many of us feel about the causes you are so dedicated to.
Be my guest!

Old 06-30-2017, 04:24 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
I just looked at a $5 bill in my billfold.

"In God we trust "
Shame on us backward Arkansans clinging to our Confederate money ...........SARC

Old 06-30-2017, 05:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,696,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I just looked at a $5 bill in my billfold.

"In God we trust "
Shame on us backward Arkansans clinging to our Confederate money ...........SARC
Perhaps the Supreme Court will rule as they did on "In God We Trust" on currency and determine the primary use of the slogan is patriotic, secular, and not religious. I think it would be very interesting if the primary use of the 10 Commandments was ruled as "secular", but would perhaps be fitting for the state of things and faith in this country. The "secular" and "patriotic" 10 Commandments. Interesting.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:51 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post

You are a transplant living in the best economy in the state. The culture you experience in Northwest Arkansas is not the same elsewhere in the state. Go live in Little Rock or another part of the state for a while where things are not progressive like Northwest Arkansas. It won't take long to realize why other people have a viewpoint different than yours.
NW Ark. is "progressive "? You mean it's turning Democratic?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:06 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
NW Ark. is "progressive "? You mean it's turning Democratic?
Progressive as in they've flourished. I can't say that about many parts of the state.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:13 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Why is the state of Arkansas putting up a religious monument on state grounds? Ever heard of separation of church & state?
How was this even allowed ???

Old 07-02-2017, 04:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Why is the state of Arkansas putting up a religious monument on state grounds? Ever heard of separation of church & state?
How was this even allowed ???
it depends how you identify separation of church and state. This is up to the courts to decide and AR isn't the only state with such a monument. I am not defending it or criticizing the action: I am giving you why I think it has been allowed, plus the topic of this thread to start isn't and wasn't whether this should be allowed but the fact someone destroyed public property.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:46 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,491 times
It's easy to tell that many posters have not read all of the posts. This is a perfect example of "beating a dead horse". Good bye.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:32 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Thought about this thread today while driving from San Diego to Las Vegas. California near Baker, Burma shave signs, The 10 Commandments. I remember seeing this last time and is on private property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: