U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:33 PM

63,872 posts, read 70,408,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I relocated from Minnesota to CV IN 2012.

I like it here........very scenic, low taxes, and good govt.
I , personally, would prefer CV over HSB .
Unlike HSB, we have our own police dept and I also think our location is great.

Ask any questions you like, and I will answer them.

I also have volunteered to give a tour of CV to anyone checking our town out for relocation.

Even with a map, our winding roads can get quite confusing to many ( including myself at times
giving tours is sorta like what some do here in BV. We have a group called the ambassador club. The person or couple volunteers to meet with people contemplating a move. Sometimes they open their homes, sometimes just spend time with the visitors showing them the city and other parts of NWA. It is a wonderful way to help people learn and feel comfortable. I haven't heard of many towns that do something like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 03:25 PM

4,316 posts, read 1,385,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
giving tours is sorta like what some do here in BV. We have a group called the ambassador club. The person or couple volunteers to meet with people contemplating a move. Sometimes they open their homes, sometimes just spend time with the visitors showing them the city and other parts of NWA. It is a wonderful way to help people learn and feel comfortable. I haven't heard of many towns that do something like this.
Glad to hear BV does it.

I actually got the idea about 15 years ago while checking out areas in the south.
The state of Mississippi has a "Certified Retirement Cities " program where cities apply and if they meet the state criteria, they get promoted as Retirement communities..........low taxes,low crime, health care,...some of the criteria.

Yes, everyone of those cities on that list ( about 20 cities) have "ambassadors" who you can call before you visit.

They must be retirees who have relocated and can not be a realtor or own a business because they must have nothing to sell except the city.

I never did actually visit those cities, but did get phone calls from some of the ambassadors.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 PM

18 posts, read 13,824 times
Excellent! We are truth seekers in all regards, so appreciate your objective candor. For starters, what are your favorite things about CV? Least favorite? What are CV's strongest points? Weakest points? Look forward to your response.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margy View Post
Excellent! We are truth seekers in all regards, so appreciate your objective candor. For starters, what are your favorite things about CV? Least favorite? What are CV's strongest points? Weakest points? Look forward to your response.
+.........scenic, 7 lakes, 2 golf courses, waterfall in a park right in Village Square,
good govt , a great high school about 4 miles from Village Square,
Trees everywhere and wildlife galore ( deer every day in my back yard )

A very wide selection of houses ( lakeshore, golf course, residential ) with prices that can't be beat anywhere else ( there are older people constantly selling due to death or nursing home )

Churches and banks galore !

Major college sports at Arkansas State University in Jonesboro
small college sports at Lyon college in Batesville

An AMTRAK station about 40 miles away in Walnut Ridge

very safe with a fully staffed full time police force

Many home health Aid companies and an excellent Hospice.
a 24 hour emergency room ( one of the only places in Arkansas where despite there being no hospital, there is a staffed 24/7 emergency room )

_......... very few jobs, limited shopping ( a great Walmart...huge Farm Supply /hardware..)
limited restaurants but the ones here are very good.

limited health care.........no hospital, but there are clinics
The 3 destinations for major medical care is Baxter Regional in Mountain Home ( 60 miles)......White River in Batesville (45 miles) and either NEA or St Bernards in Jonesboro ( 70 miles away )

A long drive to a major airport ( Memphis, Little Rock, or NWA )

Old 07-18-2017, 12:46 PM

Thanks very much for your input. Some of this info I have gleaned from researching the area online. However, I didn't know about the Amtrak station in Walnut Ridge, which is a good thing. We have always enjoyed traveling by train. It's a great relaxing way to see the country and meet interesting people along the way. As for the long drive to a major airport, that is no big deal, because neither of us likes to fly anymore due to all the hassles at the airport and the ever-worsening conditions that now seem to be part and parcel of air travel. Of the 3 hospitals you mentioned, do you know which is supposed to be the best or better of the lot? Have you or yours had any occasion to use them? How do you find the doctors in the area? How about dentists? Good that there is a 24/7 emergency care facility. I read that CV used to have its own hospital, which closed, but could not find info as to why. Jobs, or the lack thereof, is not an issue for us, thankfully. We are both sports fans and could possibly enjoy a trek to see a college football game....We also enjoy watching high school sports. As for limited restaurants, we look for quality in our options, more than quanity, so this is not a problem. Do you have any favorites? We are not into shopping as a past time, so we don't need malls and big name stores nearby. Our usual needs can likely be addressed by the stores in the area. In fact, we try to buy locally as much as we can, especially locally sourced food. We have heard that Hardy has some cool little shops to peruse, which is right up our alley. Will get back to you with other questions/concerns, if that's okay.....

Old 07-18-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margy View Post
Thanks very much for your input. Some of this info I have gleaned from researching the area online. However, I didn't know about the Amtrak station in Walnut Ridge, which is a good thing. We have always enjoyed traveling by train. It's a great relaxing way to see the country and meet interesting people along the way. As for the long drive to a major airport, that is no big deal, because neither of us likes to fly anymore due to all the hassles at the airport and the ever-worsening conditions that now seem to be part and parcel of air travel. Of the 3 hospitals you mentioned, do you know which is supposed to be the best or better of the lot? Have you or yours had any occasion to use them? How do you find the doctors in the area? How about dentists? Good that there is a 24/7 emergency care facility. I read that CV used to have its own hospital, which closed, but could not find info as to why. Jobs, or the lack thereof, is not an issue for us, thankfully. We are both sports fans and could possibly enjoy a trek to see a college football game....We also enjoy watching high school sports. As for limited restaurants, we look for quality in our options, more than quanity, so this is not a problem. Do you have any favorites? We are not into shopping as a past time, so we don't need malls and big name stores nearby. Our usual needs can likely be addressed by the stores in the area. In fact, we try to buy locally as much as we can, especially locally sourced food. We have heard that Hardy has some cool little shops to peruse, which is right up our alley. Will get back to you with other questions/concerns, if that's okay.....
I'll try to answer any question you have.
Hospitals........many in CV use White River in Batesville.

I go thru the VA and under the CHOICE program, if a VA hospital is too far away, you can get sent to a civilian hospital.

I opted for the new NEA in Jonesboro.
Right hip replacement in 2014
Left hip replacement in 2015
Complicated hernia surgery in 2016

(wife had back surgery in 2015,,,,,,,,,,,uses NEA clinics for DR )

Besides, Walmart............good grocery store in Highland and in Hardy

Old 07-18-2017, 05:58 PM

Appreciate your sharing. Seems like you folks have had a lot going on medically for the past few years. By coincidence, I will be having my right hip replaced next week. Had my left one done in October of 2014. Thankfully, that went very well, so I expect that I will have a great outcome this time, too. I have a wonderful doctor who does his surgeries at a lovely hospital in Portland, Maine, about 2 hours south of where we live. Our primary doctor is about 24 miles south of us, as is the nearest local hospital, so we are used to having to travel for medical services. Luckily, my physical therapist is right in our town, which is a blessing.

It's fortunate that you can use the CHOICE program to access civilian hospitals. Good to know that there are good grocery stores in Highland and Hardy. Wal Mart is okay for some things, but we like to trade with smaller businesses when possible. Do you go to the Farmer's Market mentioned on some of the CV websites? We like to do so whenever we can. The produce is usually good and it's nice to talk with the folks who grew it. Are there folks in your area who sell fresh, free range chicken eggs? We have a great source right here in our town, which is very convenient. We are vegetarians, so eggs are important to us for protein.

I would like to know how utility costs run in your area. Of course, the size of one's home makes a difference and how warm and/or cold one keeps the thermostat, but for say an average smaller home of maybe 1000 to 1200 s.f., with an electric heat pump system, do you have any idea of typical bills?

Also, what is the source of CV's drinking water? I think I saw something somewhere about it being spring water. Is this so and from what spring(s)? Are water costs reasonable? [Hope it doesn't have fluoride in it...??...] Is there trash pick up and, if so, what is the cost?

We live in rural Maine and have a town refuse/recycling center we can access for free on Sat., Sun., & Mon. Our water is pure artesian well water, with no chemicals for over 100 years, which these days is quite rare. Maine is beautiful, but the winters here are way too long, very cold and have lots of snow, ice, etc. This past one was a doozy, and we have had enough, so we really want to find a house in Arkansas where we can spend our winters, initially, and, then, if we like it as much as we think we will, we would move there permanently.

You mentioned that houses come up for sale in CV all the time. Do you happen to know of any owners who are looking to sell? Since we will only be there for the winter months, initially, we are looking for a house modestly priced, under 50K, and would like to deal directly with an owner who will accept a moderate down payment and carry on our note and mortgage for 15 years at 5%. As mentioned above, after we have spent a few winters there, and truly like it, which we believe we will, then we'll definitely move there full time. Right now the real estate market in rural Maine is dead, so there is no sense in our even putting our house up for sale at this time. Hopefully, things will pick up before too long and we will be able to sell in the future. If you do know of anyone that might fit this scenario, please let us know. We would love to be able to spend this winter in CV!

Old 07-23-2017, 09:36 PM

Also would like to know about winter in CV. I imagine that it is nothing compared to winters in Minnesota or Maine...but would appreciate heading from you and others in the general area. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2017, 10:10 PM

Last winter was an abnormality as the only measureable snow fell on March 11 (3 inches) and March 13 (1 inch)

Any snow and/ice can make driving "tricky" due to hills and curves.
But, roads are usually ok in a day or two...........unless one lives out in country.

To me, I really like the 4 season climate here.
Arkansas is different things to different people regarding weather/climate.
I have a farm neighbor I grew up with in Minnesota and he moved away .
A couple years ago he called and said he bought a house in a 55 senior community near Bull Shoals lake. He uses that place for 7 months ( October -May )and lives in a camper by a Minnesota lake for 5 months ( May -October)

He makes Arkansas his winter home while other residents of the 55 community spend summers in Arkansas and make Florida, TX , and AZ their winter home.

You mentioned water and garbage......
My water bill is usually about $26 a month and garbage is $60 for 3 months billing.

Check out the internet for houses.
A lot of smaller houses were owned by a landlord who had them all foreclosed on.
Banks were /are selling them real cheap and some have been bought.......fixed up for re-sale ....and still priced under $50,000.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:44 PM

Thanks, again, for your comments and observations. I haven't been on the chat for a few days, because I just had a total right hip replacement surgery this past Friday morning, came home late Saturday morning and am slowly recovering. Happily, all went very well and I hope to be up and about soon. Appreciate your suggestions, and I agree that folks he their own ideas as to what works best for them. We also like the 4 seasons, which is why we think this area would be good for us. Will look into what you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas