U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 03:32 PM

85 posts, read 10,666 times

Advertisements

I am retiring and planning to move, either later this year, or next year.

I have been doing some research and and have basically narrowed the area I want to Baxter (Mountain Home) or some county touching that one. I want to be outside of, but not far from town. Any town. (I would like some privacy but my wife doesn't want to feel isolated out in the sticks.) Yes, I have a few contradictory requirements to meet because family is involved.

Most of my research has been on Zillow, thus far, and not too serious, but now it is getting time to get serious, so I thought I would open up a thread here. I have read a few previous threads, and the first thing I want to say is that this sounds like a nice on line community, unlike what I see elsewhere.

My first question is, should I be looking at any other listings than Zillow?

My second question is when I look at listings, I see an item called "TAX ASSESSMENT"
What is that? the value after exemptions?
How is it usually calculated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 04:48 PM

1,244 posts, read 714,207 times
I wouldn't use Zillow, mostly because many of the MLS districts have been having trouble keeping a contract with Zillow to show listings, so you may be missing out on a lot. I would use realtor.com, it is reliable and up to date. I'm not sure what the tax assessment statement means, maybe it is a tax sale.

I live in Jasper, which could be considered North central AR (or sometimes gets included in NWA). I'm not familiar with Mountain Home but I haven't heard anything negative.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:05 PM

I haven't heard anything negative either, that is why I am planning to move there

I am looking for a house now, rather than an area.
Got the area, more or less.
I should point out, though, that I am still in TX, so my searches
will be Internet only for a few more weeks, at the least.

Thanks for the tip - Realtor.com - I will check it out.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:29 PM

4,316 posts, read 1,385,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I haven't heard anything negative either, that is why I am planning to move there

I am looking for a house now, rather than an area.
Got the area, more or less.
I should point out, though, that I am still in TX, so my searches
will be Internet only for a few more weeks, at the least.

Thanks for the tip - Realtor.com - I will check it out.
I moved down to Cherokee Village in 2012 when I retired from dairy farming in Minnesota. ( Cherokee Village is about 60 miles east of Mountain Home )

Although I don't know anyone in Mountain Home, a friend of mine who was my neighbor in MN for the first 32 years of my life moved to Bull Shoals.

They use Mountain Home for their shopping and Baxter Regional Hospital was a big reason why they wanted to be near Mountain Home.

Beautiful area !

Old 07-15-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I moved down to Cherokee Village in 2012 when I retired from dairy farming in Minnesota. ( Cherokee Village is about 60 miles east of Mountain Home )
Although I don't know anyone in Mountain Home, a friend of mine who was my neighbor in MN for the first 32 years of my life moved to Bull Shoals.
They use Mountain Home for their shopping and Baxter Regional Hospital was a big reason why they wanted to be near Mountain Home.
Beautiful area !
Pretty much what I had in mind. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:00 PM

18 posts, read 13,824 times
Considering Cherokee Village. Would love some info from folks there as to how they like living there. Also looking at Horseshoe Bend. If anyone on this forum has info about that community, it would be much appreciated. Can anyone offer opinions about how these two areas compare? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:07 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,087,822 times
Tax Assessment = Fair Market Value as determined by the Assessor

Link to Baxter County Tax info

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-17-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margy View Post
Considering Cherokee Village. Would love some info from folks there as to how they like living there. Also looking at Horseshoe Bend. If anyone on this forum has info about that community, it would be much appreciated. Can anyone offer opinions about how these two areas compare? Thanks.
I relocated from Minnesota to CV IN 2012.

I like it here........very scenic, low taxes, and good govt.
I , personally, would prefer CV over HSB .
Unlike HSB, we have our own police dept and I also think our location is great.

Ask any questions you like, and I will answer them.

I also have volunteered to give a tour of CV to anyone checking our town out for relocation.

Even with a map, our winding roads can get quite confusing to many ( including myself at times

Old 07-17-2017, 12:18 PM

18 posts, read 13,824 times
Thank you for your quick response and willingness to answer questions! I will chat with my husband regarding specifics and let you know. We love Arkansas and want to find the right place there for us. We are retired, but still active, love nature, friendly people, and a laid back atmosphere. CV appears to fit the bill, but as with much in this world, looks via internet can be deceiving! Your insights, as one who lives in CV, will give us a much better idea of how CV might suit us. Thanks again, David!

Old 07-17-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margy View Post
Thank you for your quick response and willingness to answer questions! I will chat with my husband regarding specifics and let you know. We love Arkansas and want to find the right place there for us. We are retired, but still active, love nature, friendly people, and a laid back atmosphere. CV appears to fit the bill, but as with much in this world, looks via internet can be deceiving! Your insights, as one who lives in CV, will give us a much better idea of how CV might suit us. Thanks again, David!
You are welcome.

I will give truthful answers to your questions and not just answers that promote CV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas