Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 08:56 AM

448 posts, read 365,909 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to HS there was a lot of money being poured into the town. Several old apt. and motels were being renovated. The Majestic had money that was in place or so the local radio said to revamp it into condos. Then 2008 hit and that dried up and things stopped. Now I see things start to be rejuvenated again. The Malco is getting a 3/4 of a million dollar face lift, and several down town buildings have been updated. I have not been back in a couple of years but plan on going in the middle of July. What is going on as far as updates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 12:49 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,903,825 times
The current Arkansas Business Newspaper has two great lead stories about what is happening in H.S., and there are several blurbs about things to come. They are finally working to change the image from horse racing, lakes, and old folks retirement, to a true tourist destination. Wonderful!

Old 07-12-2017, 01:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
The current Arkansas Business Newspaper has two great lead stories about what is happening in H.S., and there are several blurbs about things to come. They are finally working to change the image from horse racing, lakes, and old folks retirement, to a true tourist destination. Wonderful!
When I think of HS I think races, of course but also tourism. I always have and I never think "retirement" When I think "retirement" I think HSV. I can see why it would be a good place to retire though, except for the tourism, mainly in the summer.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When I think of HS I think races, of course but also tourism. I always have and I never think "retirement" When I think "retirement" I think HSV. I can see why it would be a good place to retire though, except for the tourism, mainly in the summer.
Just quoting

Old 07-12-2017, 08:01 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,402,902 times
we have been weekenders in hot springs for decades and we see a lot of texas plates in the summer. i do know they have targeted the dallas area with advertising for years and it must be working.

also, i also saw an article yesterday about the new ownership of the arlington hotel.

magic springs water park has survived and even seems to be having another successful season.

several new hotels have opened in the last few years and some of the older (clarion) hotels seem to be doing ok also.

lots of good restaurant choices all over town and i know of several boat rental businesses that have had good rental seasons. a lot of these above mentioned businesses are dependent on tourist for survival.

i have been visiting hot springs since i was in jr high school and i still love it!

Old 07-13-2017, 05:17 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
we have been weekenders in hot springs for decades and we see a lot of texas plates in the summer. i do know they have targeted the dallas area with advertising for years and it must be working.

also, i also saw an article yesterday about the new ownership of the arlington hotel.

magic springs water park has survived and even seems to be having another successful season.

several new hotels have opened in the last few years and some of the older (clarion) hotels seem to be doing ok also.

lots of good restaurant choices all over town and i know of several boat rental businesses that have had good rental seasons. a lot of these above mentioned businesses are dependent on tourist for survival.

i have been visiting hot springs since i was in jr high school and i still love it!
Same here, I'm from El Dorado and my uncle had a place on Lake Hamilton for years and we would always come up to the lake for a couple of weeks each summer. Back then the only way from El Dorado to Hot Springs was highway 7 and on our way home we would always stop before Arkadelphia and drive in to see how the dam was coming along at Lake DeGray.

I have known for a long time that this area was going to be my home some day and I am lucky and blessed enough to have realized that dream.

My only complaint is not having a grocery store on our end right now. With the growth going on in the east end you would have thought someone would have announced something by now, but we ain't starving...just driving a little farther.

Last edited by btoverdrive; 07-13-2017 at 05:25 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 05:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post

Yes, we saw an article yesterday as well. When we still lived in Texas and visited Hot Springs for the first time I suggested to hubby we do some looking around and maybe settle there for retirement. Well, he looked at me as if I had said let's move to God only knows where. I know he thought I was losing it. Well obviously we didn't move to Hot Springs but here we are in AR and both of us love every minute of it. I do know Hot Springs Village is a popular retirement place for people in Texas.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:23 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
I'd say it's not just becoming a tourist destination; it's going back to being a tourist destination. In the past, Hot Springs offered vast choices of spa treatments for health-conscious tourists. And by "spa", I don't mean frou-frou chocolate seaweed wraps; I mean vigorous steam saunas, like those found in Finland, Turkey, and Japan. The kind men won't shy away from. Heck, why not market internationally, to people in countries with a strong sauna culture?

Due to changing public tastes and many other reasons, Hot Springs moved far away from its spa roots. Many of its spas permanently closed or were turned into museums. I'm glad to see some of them survive. It's a bit sad that they feel like theme park-esque attractions, rather than the health treatment destinations they were in the past. But it's better than nothing. As long as none of them offer a cure for wellness.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'd say it's not just becoming a tourist destination; it's going back to being a tourist destination. In the past, Hot Springs offered vast choices of spa treatments for health-conscious tourists. And by "spa", I don't mean frou-frou chocolate seaweed wraps; I mean vigorous steam saunas, like those found in Finland, Turkey, and Japan. The kind men won't shy away from. Heck, why not market internationally, to people in countries with a strong sauna culture?

Due to changing public tastes and many other reasons, Hot Springs moved far away from its spa roots. Many of its spas permanently closed or were turned into museums. I'm glad to see some of them survive. It's a bit sad that they feel like theme park-esque attractions, rather than the health treatment destinations they were in the past. But it's better than nothing. As long as none of them offer a cure for wellness.

10-4 on "going back"

Old 07-13-2017, 07:54 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
We went to HS in '85 and stayed in the Arlington, did the baths and had a great time! Also had one of the best catfish dinners in my life. Last couple of times through AR, we have been in a hurry so couldn't stay there. Hope it is doing well. We loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas