U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2006, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,925 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Mena but my husband is considering a higher paying position in Blytheville...His mother lives close to Wynne and we want to be closer to his mom to help her out and so the kids get to see her more but he doesnt want a long commute either. I would like to know about the smaller towns for we love being in the country...and most definately are the schools good? Is the cost of living high in that area? Are there any towns we should avoid? Any info or suggestions would help greatly...Thank You!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 07:36 AM

113 posts, read 504,377 times
Truman would be a good "middle point" between Blytheville and Wynn. I certainly wouldn't want to drive from Wynn to Blytheville every day. Truman is a nice size town and has a pretty good school system I believe. I know they're football team is usually pretty good. It is also close to Jonesboro which would be your best bet for shopping, unless you drive to Memphis.

Cost of living should be similar to Mena in that part of Arkansas. I would stay away from living in Blytheville and Osceola. Lots of "wanna be" gang members in the area due to the proximaty to Memphis.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 10,925 times
Thank you. Trumann is another town I was looking at. I am also looking at Parkin.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 19,640 times
Wynne is a nice little town - I lived there for about a year. Property was high for this part of state though. Would Not live in Blytheville or Osceola! There is nothing in Parkin - it looks like a dead town - blighted. Truman has some nice sections but a drug problem - mostly meth. We looked at property there and there is some really nice newer homes that were alot cheaper than Wynne. Harrisburg is a nice area - but still about 45 minutes from Blytheville and about 30 - 45 minutes from Wynne.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 PM

14 posts, read 54,021 times
Default To outsidethebox58

Hi,

What is bad about Osceola?

I was thinking of checking into a job at American Greetings.

Bad idea? Thanks

Old 04-02-2008, 10:12 PM

8 posts, read 25,435 times
Parkin is not a good place especially with kids. I grew up there and the school system was so bad that my parents had to pull me out after the second grade to homeschool me. Fortunately the school system in Parkin has closed, but students are now being carted off to the Cross County schools and if I had them, I wouldn't send my children there either. I also would suggest Truman. It's been a while since I've actually lived there but I think Lepanto is in the vicinity and I knew a few really nice people from there years ago.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,185 times
I agree that I would not live (with or without kids) in the Parkin area, but REALLY disagree about the Cross County School District (having taught there for the past 4 years I have an inside view). The schools had some problems in the past but have really come up since getting their new superintendent. Starting as young as 4th grade (and next year all high school students) every student is issued an Apple laptop at the beginning of the school. The school has had a continual rise in their test scores and the teachers have a genuine love for their students.
Wynne school district is nice as well, though I'm not as familiar with the details of programs going on in their schools.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,918 times
I lived in Trumann for a long time. Of course it has some drug problems, but all towns do. For the most part, there are some great people there. The schools are a little run-down but overall I got a pretty good education, and they are even building a brand new high school. It has great southern style and most of the people in the community are very close. In my opinion, it's your best bet.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:39 PM

264 posts, read 1,013,938 times
Truman would be the best in that area. Wynne? All I know is that that's DeAngelo Williams hometown- Memphis Tigers football! Sorry it is irrelevant but, yea Truman is best.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 39,531 times
Jake, Osceola is a pretty much economically depressed area. While some factories in the area have shut their doors in the past (Fruit of the Loom), American Greetings and a couple of other smaller ones remain. AG will probably be there for many more years. While some new businesses are slowly moving in, others are moving out. It is not a terrible place to live. (I was in the area for 15+ years.) Just be aware it is a very small town with not much going on. Also, some crime and lots of drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or