U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,855,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Heck! If Arkansas is going to turn into California, I may as well stay here. I guess I'll come and enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts.
LOL, I don't think you have TOO much to worry about. These rankings are really more about what town gave the writers the best dog and pony show this year. It'll be someone else next year and any bumps in tourism will be gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 AM

292 posts, read 1,135,347 times
And if you want to see trash littering woods and streams....come to Louisiana! I've seen a little bit of litter on the hiking trails, in the woods, and around the creeks and rivers in Arkansas, but not much. I always pack it out if I can.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,966,693 times
i have also been amazed at the number of hunters who seem to think that hunting and whiskey drinkin go hand in hand! judging by the amount of whiskey bottles i used to find on my place i would say alot of them think so.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:04 PM

84 posts, read 211,409 times
Aw, c'mon guys. Just thought it was a feather in Mountain Home's cap. The lack of infrastructure--interstates, major airports, etc will keep this area distinctly apart from places like California, Florida, even Texas That won't change anytime soon. Those that can deal with the rural nature of the area will enjoy it as it is. Those that can't won't even come to check it out. I love the friendly people here--even if this thread doesn't seem so welcoming. A tourism shot in the arm isn't all bad.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:47 PM

452 posts, read 1,490,672 times
That's a HUGE feather in their cap for sure!!! Tourist dollars are gonna be hard to come by if gas prices get much higher; people will be prone to be a bit picky about vacation destinations. More bang for the buck I suppose. I'd much rather head for the quiet spots than city lights, but that's just me.

What really troubles me most is the terrible litter problem we have in Hot Springs. It's NOT the tourists who trash our roads here. It's the locals and it's a disgrace.

Arkansas has an 800 number to call when you see someone throwing trash or trash blowing from the bed of a truck, etc. HOWEVER, the suits in charge of the idea neglected to give it any teeth. You can call it...but the person who owns the vehicle license plate number gets ......a letter.....informing them that they were seen trashing our state. THAT'S IT! Why bother???

Old 04-06-2008, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,203 times
Default Mh Turning Into Ca!????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Heck! If Arkansas is going to turn into California, I may as well stay here. I guess I'll come and enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts.

OH, PLEASE, NOW. Isn't that a bit of a stretch? Some extra 'tourists' who plunk down $$$ into the town, enjoy what it does have to offer, drive the streets, eat the food, and then goes back home (wherever that may be) makes Mountain Home the next California???

Old 04-07-2008, 09:02 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,358,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
i have also been amazed at the number of hunters who seem to think that hunting and whiskey drinkin go hand in hand!

Whaaaaa?? It doesn't?

NOW you tell me

Probably my favorite part of the tourists and yankees coming down, is that look on their face when they've stopped into a fillin' station for a bottle of water, and you go in with deer or turkey blood on your jeans and boots, and start talking about how you gotta get back cause "it's gutted out 'n' hangin'".

It's like they just found a dead mouse in their lingerie drawer.

"Let's run to the car, Madge. Cherokee Village is just seven miles away. We can make it".

Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,446,714 times
When I saw Mountain Home while scrolling through the boards I just had to stop and say something. My husband's family evacuated there for Katrina and ended up staying there for abt. 5 months due to my niece's schooling. They have nothing but kind things to say about the people of Mountain Home. My niece wanted to be back in her own school for her senior year and couldn't wait to get back home, but when she came back home all she could talk about was how she missed the school in AK. Thanks Mountain Home for taking care of our family.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:53 AM

23 posts, read 107,307 times
Heya! Sorry to say I am just another "yankee" that is looking to move to Arkansas with her hubby for just that reason. I researched a lot of states to figure out where we would most like to live because we absolutely hate it here in Montana, and when I got to the researching of Arkansas, I stopped looking any further and we decided that this was the place for us to strive to move to. Partly because of all the hunting and fishing which is a primary part of our lives, but also because we happen to like the life style of huntin garb and chickens running loose in our yard. And as for running into a gas station with the blood still steaming on your boots, well let's just say I have gutted my fair share of deer. (sorry for the graphic image heh) I do feel your frustration though at the thought of "outsiders" coming in and taking what they can and giving back nothing. And I understand the frustration of "outsiders" coming in and trying to change everything to suit them. Bout all I can say is that I live, breathe and dream only of moving to Arkansas now. I lull myself to sleep each night with dreams of autumn leaves crunching beneath my feet as we go squirrel hunting, of the sounds that only a still misty morning on a lake when your line hits the glassy smooth water in between the sounds of the birds waking. I hope that when we are finally able to realize our dream of moving there, that we are seen not as another pair of damn "yankees" looking to spoil paradise, but as people who have finally been able to find a place that they truly want to call home.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:38 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,358,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnisledLady View Post
Heya! Sorry to say I am just another "yankee" that is looking to move to Arkansas with her hubby for just that reason. I researched a lot of states to figure out where we would most like to live because we absolutely hate it here in Montana, and when I got to the researching of Arkansas, I stopped looking any further and we decided that this was the place for us to strive to move to. Partly because of all the hunting and fishing which is a primary part of our lives, but also because we happen to like the life style of huntin garb and chickens running loose in our yard. And as for running into a gas station with the blood still steaming on your boots, well let's just say I have gutted my fair share of deer. (sorry for the graphic image heh) I do feel your frustration though at the thought of "outsiders" coming in and taking what they can and giving back nothing. And I understand the frustration of "outsiders" coming in and trying to change everything to suit them. Bout all I can say is that I live, breathe and dream only of moving to Arkansas now. I lull myself to sleep each night with dreams of autumn leaves crunching beneath my feet as we go squirrel hunting, of the sounds that only a still misty morning on a lake when your line hits the glassy smooth water in between the sounds of the birds waking. I hope that when we are finally able to realize our dream of moving there, that we are seen not as another pair of damn "yankees" looking to spoil paradise, but as people who have finally been able to find a place that they truly want to call home.
Now *that's* what I'm talking about!!

When might you be moving out here?

By the way, we don't run into gas stations 'round here.............we run into "fillin' stations".

As I've posted before, there's an Arkansas here for everybody. Folks come from the big city and they want stores, restaurants, and bars galore, there's cities that have them. Arkansas just doesn't do that as well as a lot of areas.

If, however, you want hunting, fishing, walks in the woods, watching deer and wild turkey feed in your yard, eating barbecue or fried 'chikken' with "folks" at the fillin' station, most wearing jeans and work boots....we do that real good.

I've really gotta say truthfully that most of the disrespecting I've seen come from the folks that move here from somewhere else and look down on the locals. That is probably the stupidest thing around, because you can't tell a locals status by what he wears or drives, everybody dresses and drives the same.

This state just fits like those sneakers ya shoulda thrown away last year, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or