U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 04:57 AM

123 posts, read 24,778 times

Advertisements

For those who are looking to buy Bella vista just like here in SWF housing is in a bubble. Low inventory is causing prices to go up 10 to 15 percent a year some places more. This is a classic bubble. Not exactly like in 08 but a bubble none the less. For us its not as big a deal. If we sell in a bubble here and buy in a bubble there we are not really risking much. But if you are buying fist time then your buying in a bubble and if you have to sell you may very well sell under water. I know no one wants to think their home price can go down but I am old enough to know they not only can but will. Anyone who thinks prices can only go up is a very naive person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 11:46 AM

64,180 posts, read 71,023,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerantlocal View Post
For those who are looking to buy Bella vista just like here in SWF housing is in a bubble. Low inventory is causing prices to go up 10 to 15 percent a year some places more. This is a classic bubble. Not exactly like in 08 but a bubble none the less. For us its not as big a deal. If we sell in a bubble here and buy in a bubble there we are not really risking much. But if you are buying fist time then your buying in a bubble and if you have to sell you may very well sell under water. I know no one wants to think their home price can go down but I am old enough to know they not only can but will. Anyone who thinks prices can only go up is a very naive person.
I somewhat agree but not totally. We did buy in 2008 but prices had already started down a bit. We did pay a little more than our house was worth a year later, but not all that much. More than anything I think it depends on the price of one home. Certainly price ranges are continuing up, up and away. Others are pretty stable, especially when you get in the top price ranges. They will only move so far. Well they can move, but not like the under $200,000 are moving. What I do agree with is, buy when the market is good and hope like hell you don't have to sell in a year or so. 10 years down the road it shouldn't make much difference. Hasn't this always been the way though? I was a realtor for 12 years. The market always has up and down turns like the economy period.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I somewhat agree but not totally. We did buy in 2008 but prices had already started down a bit. We did pay a little more than our house was worth a year later, but not all that much. More than anything I think it depends on the price of one home. Certainly price ranges are continuing up, up and away. Others are pretty stable, especially when you get in the top price ranges. They will only move so far. Well they can move, but not like the under $200,000 are moving. What I do agree with is, buy when the market is good and hope like hell you don't have to sell in a year or so. 10 years down the road it shouldn't make much difference. Hasn't this always been the way though? I was a realtor for 12 years. The market always has up and down turns like the economy period.
Housing for many years was fairly stable to some deg. It was in the mid 90s to the crash where it went up crazy. Wages are not even going up 3 percent a year yet housing is going up 10 to 20? No way is that sustainable. Although Americans again are going crazy and buying big V8 Trucks and muscle cars thinking gas will always be 1.99 a gallon. Then when it spikes and it will you will see all those trucks and cars on every street corner with a for sale sign. Americans are idiots when it comes to being consumer mind numb robots.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:38 PM

4,123 posts, read 5,163,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestForkGrant View Post
Man, this board is obsessed with these 2 towns. You'd think these are the only two places for retirees by the number of threads comparing the two. I'd personally rather live out in the county and have a bit of land than live in either one.
Are you old?

Old people get tired of maintaining "a bit of land" (even just the sort-of large yard we have now is getting to be a pain). They get tired of maintaining big houses, or older houses (like mine), etc. They get tired of the neighbors' kids doing all sorts of things to annoy them, of people in the neighborhood (and there is always at least one) letting their homes go to the dogs, of people letting their dogs run all over the place and bark their heads off, of teenagers roaring down the streets with loud pipes....I could go on and on. Yes, I am that person. Get off my lawn!

I like being in the country also, but I've noticed that unless you can afford to have a pretty large acreage you run the risk of having someone come move their ratty trailer right up next to you and start making meth or breeding pitt bulls or putting their car up on blocks and pulling the engine out of it and hanging it from a tree (this happened in one of my neighbors' yards -- what the heck??) If you live in timber country you run the risk of having your gorgeous, shady country road suddenly ripped from you by loggers, changing the landscape for miles around you. Again, I could go on and on.

In Hot Springs Village (never been to Bella Vista) there are beautiful large trees and rocks everywhere, rolling hills, the speed limit is 45, the roads are well-maintained, the homes, even the smaller ones, are maintained (or the POA will get you), there are beautiful golf courses, lakes, creeks, views, walking/biking trails galore, etc. And it's quiet....oh, so quiet. My daughter and I sat in a rented condo one night in HSV and marveled at the quiet. (we live in town, where we hear a lot of traffic, and also we live about a block from a railroad track!)

So, people can have good reasons for wanting to live in a retirement community. I really regret that both BV and HSV are "welcoming" younger families with children. I like children, but I no longer want to live with them! I need a quiet, peaceful, clean home to go to when I get enough of them. lol

Old 08-15-2017, 12:41 PM

I am seeing some home prices be reduced. So there is a limit to what people will spend.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:24 PM

470 posts, read 224,442 times
Quote:
Housing for many years was fairly stable to some deg. It was in the mid 90s to the crash where it went up crazy. Wages are not even going up 3 percent a year yet housing is going up 10 to 20? No way is that sustainable. Although Americans again are going crazy and buying big V8 Trucks and muscle cars thinking gas will always be 1.99 a gallon. Then when it spikes and it will you will see all those trucks and cars on every street corner with a for sale sign. Americans are idiots when it comes to being consumer mind numb robots.
Ya know you started off with a seemingly sincere question and turned it into a rant about real estate bubbles and Trucks.

Please keep your bubble comments over in the Real Estate forum and your big trucks and muscle cars and the price of gas in the automotive forum or elsewhere. Some people need trucks for work and can afford the gas, if you can't buy something else. Simple.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Ya know you started off with a seemingly sincere question and turned it into a rant about real estate bubbles and Trucks.

Please keep your bubble comments over in the Real Estate forum and your big trucks and muscle cars and the price of gas in the automotive forum or elsewhere. Some people need trucks for work and can afford the gas, if you can't buy something else. Simple.
bla bla bla

Old 08-15-2017, 06:23 PM

64,180 posts, read 71,023,429 times
Quote:
I am seeing some home prices be reduced. So there is a limit to what people will spend.
In the best market you will always see some prices reduced. There is no guarantee anyone will make money on their purchase, but no one should buy with the idea they are going to get rich on a house purchase. A good realtor is going to show you comps and help you make a good purchase. I know so many who, recently have been in bidding wars right here in BV. I am sure this is true in Hot Springs Village as well. I am not quite sure what your point is and the comment about Americans, are you telling us you are not an American?

Old 08-17-2017, 08:21 PM

51 posts, read 14,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Are you old?

Old people get tired of maintaining "a bit of land" (even just the sort-of large yard we have now is getting to be a pain). They get tired of maintaining big houses, or older houses (like mine), etc. They get tired of the neighbors' kids doing all sorts of things to annoy them, of people in the neighborhood (and there is always at least one) letting their homes go to the dogs, of people letting their dogs run all over the place and bark their heads off, of teenagers roaring down the streets with loud pipes....I could go on and on. Yes, I am that person. Get off my lawn!

I like being in the country also, but I've noticed that unless you can afford to have a pretty large acreage you run the risk of having someone come move their ratty trailer right up next to you and start making meth or breeding pitt bulls or putting their car up on blocks and pulling the engine out of it and hanging it from a tree (this happened in one of my neighbors' yards -- what the heck??) If you live in timber country you run the risk of having your gorgeous, shady country road suddenly ripped from you by loggers, changing the landscape for miles around you. Again, I could go on and on.

In Hot Springs Village (never been to Bella Vista) there are beautiful large trees and rocks everywhere, rolling hills, the speed limit is 45, the roads are well-maintained, the homes, even the smaller ones, are maintained (or the POA will get you), there are beautiful golf courses, lakes, creeks, views, walking/biking trails galore, etc. And it's quiet....oh, so quiet. My daughter and I sat in a rented condo one night in HSV and marveled at the quiet. (we live in town, where we hear a lot of traffic, and also we live about a block from a railroad track!)

So, people can have good reasons for wanting to live in a retirement community. I really regret that both BV and HSV are "welcoming" younger families with children. I like children, but I no longer want to live with them! I need a quiet, peaceful, clean home to go to when I get enough of them. lol
Alright. Difference in perspective I guess. Not old, but I'd rather have peace without a POA or a neighbor right next to me by the time I get to that age.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:05 AM

4,123 posts, read 5,163,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestForkGrant View Post
Alright. Difference in perspective I guess. Not old, but I'd rather have peace without a POA or a neighbor right next to me by the time I get to that age.
Come back and talk to us when you get old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas