U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:30 PM

1,297 posts, read 777,832 times

Advertisements

It was back in 2012 (I think) that Arkansas fish & game finally admitted there were mountain lions in Arkansas once again, and it was due to someone catching it on their game camera in Fallsville (Newton county). Since then, there have been reports of sightings in many parts of the state including Bella Vista, Harrison, and other places in Newton county, which is where I live. Arkansas f&g did state that while they were here, there was no proof of a breeding population. Wildlife experts say if there is male and females, there will definitely be a breeding population.

With all that said......

About 5 weeks ago, my neighbor (and I use that term loosely as we are 1 mile apart) let me know they had spotted one on their property one night. A week later, I took my dog to the vet for a checkup and it was the vet who told me that they had just had two dogs killed by a mountain lion. After getting more info about that incident, I found out it was directly across the valley from my property, less than 1/2 mile in a different direction from the other person who had seen one about the same time.

Now, about 4 miles from me, a property owner had 41 chickens in a pen and was left with 6 after only a couple weeks. They discovered it was a mountain lion as they saw it themselves. Others are stating they are seeing or hearing them.

Have you seen one or know of anyone who has seen one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 04:50 PM

584 posts, read 283,267 times
Very Cool but also something to brush up your face to face with a mountain lion skills. From a video posted a week or so ago, do not turn your back on them. Make yourself look big and slowly back away.

20 years ago in the local east county San Diego mountains a hiker and a horse back rider got killed by lions. The horse rider got taken while riding.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:57 PM

1,921 posts, read 673,851 times
My high school buddy saw one about 30 years ago, he lived pretty rural in Pumpkin Bend.

I think its great they are coming back.
(My last house in the mountains we had a Pyr- Anatolian livestock guardian dog-
they have them out at Heifer Project - that was out near Russellville back in the day- if you want to see them in action--

they work great very effective against cougar, coyote, etc...)

Old 08-20-2017, 05:26 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,724,266 times
I have never heard about any around here, but we do have a few bob cats. I know a lot of people are frightened to think one might be living near them, yet I heard a guy, the other night, who was raised here assure us, they are very timid and are unlikely to attack humans.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:02 AM

2,576 posts, read 2,242,039 times
Mountain lions never really left. There have been stories for years. I was a little kid in the 70's when supposedly the 'last' one was killed. Someone brought polaroid pictures to school and we got to see it. We knew someone who saw one near that same location a few years after that. My dad and I saw tracks in the 90s. About 15-20 years ago, we heard someone had killed one in the western part of the state. The person called AGF to report it. AGF said if he killed a mountain lion, they would have to arrest the guy. The guy was pretty certain it was not a mountain lion he had killed. Lol! Arkansas has a lot of rural forested area. The mountain lion has plenty of habitat there.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:36 PM

961 posts, read 950,337 times
I Posted this several years ago but in 2001 I was working an archeology contract for the Ouachita National Forest and one morning saw a black cougar (in the old days we called them "black panthers") crossing the road in front of me, in Polk County. I told two Game and Fish Wardens and the appropriate ONF person and they danced all around it but never actually called me a liar. Wanted to, but never did. One said I was mistaken, that probably was a black house cat. I told him that if it was, it was one of a house cat because when it's nose crossed the shoulder of the road it's tail was still over the middle.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:39 AM

2,576 posts, read 2,242,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
I Posted this several years ago but in 2001 I was working an archeology contract for the Ouachita National Forest and one morning saw a black cougar (in the old days we called them "black panthers") crossing the road in front of me, in Polk County. I told two Game and Fish Wardens and the appropriate ONF person and they danced all around it but never actually called me a liar. Wanted to, but never did. One said I was mistaken, that probably was a black house cat. I told him that if it was, it was one of a house cat because when it's nose crossed the shoulder of the road it's tail was still over the middle.
There were black panther sighting stories either back in the 1920's or 1930's. I know I've come across it twice in my genealogy research. Of course, one story was a prank some relatives pulled to scare another person. Even if the black panther isn't here naturally, it could be one someone let loose or something.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
There were black panther sighting stories either back in the 1920's or 1930's. I know I've come across it twice in my genealogy research. Of course, one story was a prank some relatives pulled to scare another person. Even if the black panther isn't here naturally, it could be one someone let loose or something.
I'm from the 1930s and at that time black panthers were common talk, and not to scare people, they were just a natural event and no big deal unless they started taking calves. When Arkansas Game and Fish was in denial, when someone presented undeniable proof their common denial statement was that someone's pet cougar got away. Oh well, many of us have known better for years.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:01 PM

65,018 posts, read 72,724,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
I'm from the 1930s and at that time black panthers were common talk, and not to scare people, they were just a natural event and no big deal unless they started taking calves. When Arkansas Game and Fish was in denial, when someone presented undeniable proof their common denial statement was that someone's pet cougar got away. Oh well, many of us have known better for years.
You are telling your age and if you remember the 1930s you are older than me. I was born then but don't remember the panthers or anything else before the early 1940s. I wonder how many here didn't even have parents alive in the 30s?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are telling your age and if you remember the 1930s you are older than me. I was born then but don't remember the panthers or anything else before the early 1940s. I wonder how many here didn't even have parents alive in the 30s?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas