U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 AM

28 posts, read 9,604 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved to Arkansas from the West? I'm from Northern California in the Sierra foothills and I'm looking at a possibility to move to Northwestern Arkansas for work.

I've been interested in moving to somewhere in the Ozarks or Appalachia for a while now so this looks like my first good opportunity. I'm from a rural area and I'd like to continue to live a quiet, secluded life in a beautiful natural area, which Arkansas seems great for. I'd like to buy a house on 20-40 acres and my budget is about $150,000. Would that be possible?

I know I'm from California but I don't want that to come off the wrong way. I'm from a rural, conservative area where we grew up hunting, fishing, and four wheeling. I have no interest in malls or museums or fine dining. I've visited rural Virginia before and liked it very much.

Will I be judged at all for moving from California if I mind my own business? How is the cost of living there? How is the humidity and weather in general in NW Arkansas? The market for buying larger acreages (20-40 acres)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:47 AM

1,278 posts, read 757,161 times
I've met lots of people who live here who are originally from California. I don't think you'd have any problems with that.

Where exactly are you considering? Most people refer to the areas from Fayetteville to Bentonville/Rogers as NWA, but those aren't rural areas but are surrounded by beautiful rural areas. In those areas, it would very tough to find property with that large of acreage in that budget. Move a little eastward from those areas and you possibly could find a home with 20 acres in the 150K range, but work isn't as plentiful, depending on what you do.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I've met lots of people who live here who are originally from California. I don't think you'd have any problems with that.

Where exactly are you considering? Most people refer to the areas from Fayetteville to Bentonville/Rogers as NWA, but those aren't rural areas but are surrounded by beautiful rural areas. In those areas, it would very tough to find property with that large of acreage in that budget. Move a little eastward from those areas and you possibly could find a home with 20 acres in the 150K range, but work isn't as plentiful, depending on what you do.
I work for USPS so I can basically work anywhere. I only stated Northern Arkansas because I thought that was one of the hillier, more forested areas. I'm open to living anywhere that meets my wishlist (20-40 acres, hills, trees), and could likely find a job anywhere that's within 30-40 minutes of a town of ~5-10k.

I'm also open to buying raw land and building, which might be better given my situation since I'd like a smaller house. In that case my budget would be about $75-100k for the land.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:45 PM

64,660 posts, read 72,017,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcountryer View Post
I work for USPS so I can basically work anywhere. I only stated Northern Arkansas because I thought that was one of the hillier, more forested areas. I'm open to living anywhere that meets my wishlist (20-40 acres, hills, trees), and could likely find a job anywhere that's within 30-40 minutes of a town of ~5-10k.

I'm also open to buying raw land and building, which might be better given my situation since I'd like a smaller house. In that case my budget would be about $75-100k for the land.
NWA is hilly and very pretty.One of the nicest places I have seen and we have traveled all over the country, plus lived in 7 states. But, I think you might be hard pressed to find that many acres in your price range. i could be wrong.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:50 PM

8,891 posts, read 9,926,868 times
You'll love the Fayetteville area, the city built on seven hills. Home to the University of Arkansas. Lots to do some really nice people. It will take time to get used to the humidity which isn't as bad as south Arkansas but it's noticeable. I envy you.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:18 PM

5,291 posts, read 6,545,564 times
OP Look in Mena as well, it is similar to NWA in terms of hills, streams and mountains but smaller towns in the Ouachita's where Mena is the largest city I am aware of down there. You should be able to find smaller places in that area as you seem to prefer but still be within a short drive to Mena. I suspect property is less expensive down there as it is not as much in demand as NWA property is.

I think people are open minded and realize not all of Ca is like its portrayed in the news. Id answer the question where you are from if I were you with the I'm moved here from living in rural conservative areas out west, if they want more of course tell them but you have set the stage this way for expectations

Old 08-24-2017, 05:58 PM

1,179 posts, read 375,109 times
Yea down south/mid south west is the better part of the ozarks. Just keep your driving skills back in CA, as we got enough morons on the road as well. I moved from ark to austin and see alot of cali transplants.. Causing our rents to go up and traffic.. But not against you.. just it happens. The real rural areas are down south, like mena, kirby, amity, arkadelphia.. Even prescott got some decent land for sale and cheap. Our COL is cheaper, but our pay isnt like cali for sure. So dont expect to have a same pay and have COL to be cheap..

Old 08-24-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea down south/mid south west is the better part of the ozarks. Just keep your driving skills back in CA, as we got enough morons on the road as well. I moved from ark to austin and see alot of cali transplants.. Causing our rents to go up and traffic.. But not against you.. just it happens. The real rural areas are down south, like mena, kirby, amity, arkadelphia.. Even prescott got some decent land for sale and cheap. Our COL is cheaper, but our pay isnt like cali for sure. So dont expect to have a same pay and have COL to be cheap..
Luckily for me I'm a federal government employee so my pay is exactly the same no matter where I go in the country. That's part of the reason I'd like to move to Arkansas or some other part of the Ozarks or Appalachia.

I'd really like to own a big acreage in the woods but my budget in California severely limits my options. In Arkansas it can go much farther and honestly the area seems to offer much more of what I want anyway so it should be a step up in several ways.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:40 PM

1,179 posts, read 375,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcountryer View Post
Luckily for me I'm a federal government employee so my pay is exactly the same no matter where I go in the country. That's part of the reason I'd like to move to Arkansas or some other part of the Ozarks or Appalachia.

I'd really like to own a big acreage in the woods but my budget in California severely limits my options. In Arkansas it can go much farther and honestly the area seems to offer much more of what I want anyway so it should be a step up in several ways.
So what is it you do again? Work from home? But yes down in the southern parts have more acreage cheaper than up north would have. I know were you can get about 50 acres now if your serious. They might have sold it by now, but check out some of the smaller towns in and around gurdon, malvern, and the other towns i posted. IP owns alot of land, but they do sell them from time to time and at decent prices. If you go down 84 between Amity, and arkadelphia.. their is land for sale by tracks of 20-25 by owners. Good deer hunting too!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So what is it you do again? Work from home? But yes down in the southern parts have more acreage cheaper than up north would have. I know were you can get about 50 acres now if your serious. They might have sold it by now, but check out some of the smaller towns in and around gurdon, malvern, and the other towns i posted. IP owns alot of land, but they do sell them from time to time and at decent prices. If you go down 84 between Amity, and arkadelphia.. their is land for sale by tracks of 20-25 by owners. Good deer hunting too!
Thanks, I'll look into those areas.

I'm a postal worker and can find work basically anywhere, but it would be much easier and faster for me to transfer to somewhere where I could drive to a town of ~5-10k.

I brought up the thread because I could possible accept a position in Harrison, but I'm also looking into the possibility of other areas in Arkansas or Missouri for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas