U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:09 AM

1,299 posts, read 779,397 times

Advertisements

Wal mart is hardly faltering, as someone mentioned earlier. They are restructuring to keep up with the times and that means e-commerce. They are growing their e-commerce section to catch up with Amazon who is the only company who does more online business than they do. It's smart for companies to keep up with things like this. They employ a lot of people and are a big part of the economy in NWA, which is doing great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 10:41 AM

581 posts, read 118,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I would think that delivery services are going to be one of the most needed services out there in the coming years. Wal*Mart is going to be delivering in order to keep up with Amazon. Just guessing here.
Wal-Mart has had an on-line store with delivery for years.
Like a tiny little version of Amazon.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:04 PM

4,808 posts, read 4,209,262 times

Which is weird. Who would order food...for delivery? Anyone else find it kind of weird? I mean, what's wrong with hobnobbing with your community's hardworking folk competing for aisle space while you shop? And the families with little kids clinging to their Mom's carts are the best, huh?

Wal*Mart prices are unbeatable for TV's, pens, staplers, food and most everything. I can't bring myself ta take my car there for even simple things like oil changes, though. Don't wanna chance them not doing the job right. Yeah - you'd be surprised - even simple tasks like oil changes can be screwed up. Things like not putting the twisty plug in at the bottom of the oil pan. Things like that.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:02 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,790,009 times
Quote:

Which is weird. Who would order food...for delivery? Anyone else find it kind of weird? I mean, what's wrong with hobnobbing with your community's hardworking folk competing for aisle space while you shop? And the families with little kids clinging to their Mom's carts are the best, huh?

Wal*Mart prices are unbeatable for TV's, pens, staplers, food and most everything. I can't bring myself ta take my car there for even simple things like oil changes, though. Don't wanna chance them not doing the job right. Yeah - you'd be surprised - even simple tasks like oil changes can be screwed up. Things like not putting the twisty plug in at the bottom of the oil pan. Things like that.
wow, we always have our oil changes done at Walmart. So far, no problems and I hope we never have any. While they change our oil we do a little shopping. It is one of the few times we shop there. Oh and we do buy some of our wine there: pretty good prices and selection.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:09 AM

Yeah, I think I heard of some misgiving like the one I mentioned that happened at a Wal*Mart Automotive Center and it's forever spooked me. It could happen at any shop, though, yes it can. You have to do your homework when you take your car in. I like a place where someone greets you at the front desk and is reasonably intelligent, and attentive to my needs. Nothing like a distracted front desk person to spoil the ambience.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:14 AM
sub

165 posts, read 85,755 times
Quote:

Yeah, quality of service varies greatly. I have heard some interesting stuff about Walmart's service department over the years. I avoid any national chain for car service. Better to stick with some local place you know. Even then...

As for layoffs, Walmart is going through some stuff I've never seen them have to deal with before. My exposure to Walmart goes back to the 70's. They've always been on a solid upswing no matter what. They trounced competition like Kmart, and Target had to find it's niche in being the slightly more upscale trendy store with less broad-based appeal.
Walmart has plateaued.
Very big deal for them.
Store closings, dificulty catching up with Amazon, and perhaps the most surprising: actually losing customers to stores like Dollar General.
Stores like DG have also been around my whole life, but never were a serious threat to the bigger stores like WM, Kmart, and Target.
Now they are.
My theory is people might be getting their pricier purchases online or more specialized stores then hitting up a small store for day to day items. It's quicker and usually more pleasant. Prices are often cheaper, and a person might spend less also because they're not bombarded with as many impulse buy temptations that plagues the isles of Walmart.
There have been other behemoths that seemed invincible over the years. They all diminish, get bought out, or go away at some point.
I'm not saying Walmart's time is coming soon, but it won't be around forever.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:49 AM

Interesting discussion. I actually like Wal*Mart, though, it can wear you out at times. Having items so full in the aisles that you constantly have to watch as you wheel your cart around corners doesn't help. And some people have absolutely no manners whatsoever. Look at how so many people drive, for instance. They shop the same way. Like bulls in collective china shops. Women are no better than men in this respect. Oprah has taught them to bull right ahead and be as good as men, no, be better than men. So that's what they do. Look at the woman who wants to take Matt Lauer's spot on the Today Show. Yeah, the one who really hates men. Hates the POTUS. Seriously. This society sucks big-time. And shopping out amongst the populace sucks, too. Not all people are &^%holes, but many of them are. Let's face it.

I like your theory on shopping online, sub. I think it's true - Wal*Mart won't die a quick death, but they're going to have to make some changes somewhere. I don't know, sub, does Amazon beat Wal*Mart's HD TV prices? I haven't checked. Something tells me that Wal*Mart's price for a 43" Sanyo TV ($268) can be beat by Amazon! Here we go! While I'm at it - I'd like to trade my 2011 Kia Soul base white 5-speed standard transmission for a 2017 Kia Forte white base 6-speed standard transmission. Can I do that online at Amazon.com? Anyone want to go in to business with me? I'm thinking there's a great business opportunity to be had out here in the cyberspace world.

Wal*Mart is going to start selling cars soon, I read. It might start this fall. Read a legitimate article on it. Keep 'em coming - I think we're on ta something, sub!

Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 AM
sub

165 posts, read 85,755 times
^^ I haven't checked in years, but often they will have better prices.
The thing that bugs me about Amazon is that prices can change rapidly. Which means on occasion you can get ridiculously good deals, so it varies competetively speaking.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:02 AM

Things change. If 35 years ago you would have said that Sears and JC Penny would be on its last leg you would have gotten laughed off the stage.

Very true. Some individual prices change quickly on Amazon, like sub said above, and a slow, evolutionary change is almost always on the move behind the scenes in the commercial sales world. For groceries, I chose Wal*Mart because I can save and don't feel like ordering crap online. I just don't.

Hats? Wal*Mart. Cars? Surely ain't gonna be from Amazon. There's something besides Jeff Bezo's bald head I don't like about Amazon. And schmearing grocery purchases in to that thought is not clearing things up at all, either! One thing I am sure of, I wouldn't head to a regular old-school car dealer to buy a new car in the coming months. Better deals can be had out there when buying a new car. Amazon? Bahhh!!!!

Old 08-29-2017, 09:20 AM

I like your theory on shopping online, sub. I think it's true - Wal*Mart won't die a quick death, but they're going to have to make some changes somewhere. I don't know, sub, does Amazon beat Wal*Mart's HD TV prices? I haven't checked. Something tells me that Wal*Mart's price for a 43" Sanyo TV ($268) can be beat by Amazon! Here we go! While I'm at it - I'd like to trade my 2011 Kia Soul base white 5-speed standard transmission for a 2017 Kia Forte white base 6-speed standard transmission. Can I do that online at Amazon.com? Anyone want to go in to business with me? I'm thinking there's a great business opportunity to be had out here in the cyberspace world.

Nope. The 43" Sanyo flat screen TV is selling for $299 on Amazon.com and it's only $268 at Wal*Mart. See what I mean? Wal*Mart prices are the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas