U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

64,185 posts, read 71,048,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Yeah, quality of service varies greatly. I have heard some interesting stuff about Walmart's service department over the years. I avoid any national chain for car service. Better to stick with some local place you know. Even then...

As for layoffs, Walmart is going through some stuff I've never seen them have to deal with before. My exposure to Walmart goes back to the 70's. They've always been on a solid upswing no matter what. They trounced competition like Kmart, and Target had to find it's niche in being the slightly more upscale trendy store with less broad-based appeal.
Walmart has plateaued.
Very big deal for them.
Store closings, dificulty catching up with Amazon, and perhaps the most surprising: actually losing customers to stores like Dollar General.
Stores like DG have also been around my whole life, but never were a serious threat to the bigger stores like WM, Kmart, and Target.
Now they are.
My theory is people might be getting their pricier purchases online or more specialized stores then hitting up a small store for day to day items. It's quicker and usually more pleasant. Prices are often cheaper, and a person might spend less also because they're not bombarded with as many impulse buy temptations that plagues the isles of Walmart.
There have been other behemoths that seemed invincible over the years. They all diminish, get bought out, or go away at some point.
I'm not saying Walmart's time is coming soon, but it won't be around forever.
the car service dept is not friendly at all and I don't care for them either, but hubby is in charge of our cars, so I do what he says. Well, not always, but when it comes to the car, yes.

As for Walmart not being around forever, neither will any of us. Of course sooner or later something else will be the shopping trend. Just like malls and massive dept stores are going away, but WelMart is smart enough and has enough foresite to be in the swing for decades to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

4,128 posts, read 5,166,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
^^ I haven't checked in years, but often they will have better prices.
The thing that bugs me about Amazon is that prices can change rapidly. Which means on occasion you can get ridiculously good deals, so it varies competetively speaking.
I find their packing lacking. Hey, I rhymed! So anyway, I've received several items that could be broken if jarred just right (most recently a camera), and they were packed where they could slide around inside the box! We order a lot from them, but gee.....may have to stop ordering fragile things from them.

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
sub

134 posts, read 69,545 times
I personally don't do much business with Walmart or Amazon. I was just stating that Amazon seems to make Walmart nervous. That's quite a feat.
Last time we bought a TV(4-5 years ago), Best Buy had the best deal, that day, for the specific thing we were looking for.
Between Aldi, DG, the local grocer, and yes, Amazon, we spend 75-90% of what we would at Walmart. At least. On top of that, we also save a good amount by not being tempted with all those impulse buys at Walmart.
2 things for people like me: the recession caused a reset button of sorts to be pushed, and pay for those of us in the middle is not going up very much if at all while cost of living skyrockets. Every penny counts, and that "all under one roof" model of convenience does not matter anymore if I can save a buck.
I don't wish Walmart harm nor am I rooting for it. I'm just stating my observations and reasons it's business model isn't working for many of us that it used to cater to.

Old Today, 04:58 AM

64,185 posts, read 71,048,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I like your theory on shopping online, sub. I think it's true - Wal*Mart won't die a quick death, but they're going to have to make some changes somewhere. I don't know, sub, does Amazon beat Wal*Mart's HD TV prices? I haven't checked. Something tells me that Wal*Mart's price for a 43" Sanyo TV ($268) can be beat by Amazon! Here we go! While I'm at it - I'd like to trade my 2011 Kia Soul base white 5-speed standard transmission for a 2017 Kia Forte white base 6-speed standard transmission. Can I do that online at Amazon.com? Anyone want to go in to business with me? I'm thinking there's a great business opportunity to be had out here in the cyberspace world.

Nope. The 43" Sanyo flat screen TV is selling for $299 on Amazon.com and it's only $268 at Wal*Mart. See what I mean? Wal*Mart prices are the best!
I think it depends; we use both: Last year we purchased a small chest freezer for back up. We priced everywhere and yes Walmart beat Amazon in that case. The only problem we had, they said delivery to our home and then, when the day came, they wanted us to go to store for pick up and it wasn't even the closest store. We did get all straighten out. Now that Amazon is adding state sales tax to their merchandise, we may see WalMart do better in the internet business, not worse.

Old Today, 08:27 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,968,325 times
Ta sum it all up: Amazon and Jeff Bezos are really annoying. Wal*Mart is annoying, but it's only because they're so good! Their deals can't be beat. Wal*Mart delivery should proliferate in the coming months and years.

Bezos=greed. Bald head. Annoying. I won't shop from him. Unless he can undercut Wal*Mart on car prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas