U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:44 AM

2,009 posts, read 581,701 times

Advertisements

Resurrecting this thread, rather than starting a new one.

In most of the continental US, honey bees produce over half of their honey before the summer heat sets in, so April and May are prime production months. If you stock up on honey, this is a good time to do it.

As I mentioned before, eating raw honey (a couple spoonfuls a day), produced by bees that are exposed to the same pollens you are, or will be, is a protective measure against some allergies.

(For preppers, there are a multitude of other reasons to stock up.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 02:54 PM

Since this thread is about locally grown (more than just honey):

My local fruit (and other stuff) market has strawberries,
grown in Cabot (about 10 miles outside Little Rock).

Says she expects local Blueberries in about a month.

(Local vender is Friend's Orchard. Apparently her last name
is "Friend" and they have two stands, one is about a mile South
of Harrison and the other is about a mile W of Mountain Home.)

Old 05-03-2018, 03:04 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,065,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Since this thread is about locally grown (more than just honey):

My local fruit (and other stuff) market has strawberries,
grown in Cabot (about 10 miles outside Little Rock).

Says she expects local Blueberries in about a month.

(Local vender is Friend's Orchard. Apparently her last name
is "Friend" and they have two stands, one is about a mile South
of Harrison and the other is about a mile W of Mountain Home.)
Yes, the local blueberries are wonderful. I made lots of blueberry jam last year when they were in season. The local nectarines are good too. We have a farmer's market twice a week where local farmers sell their stuff and it's some of the best you can get. Interesting about the honey and allergies. My honey is local so I'll have to remember to eat a spoon or two daily.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Yes, the local blueberries are wonderful. I made lots of blueberry jam last year when they were in season. The local nectarines are good too. We have a farmer's market twice a week where local farmers sell their stuff and it's some of the best you can get. Interesting about the honey and allergies. My honey is local so I'll have to remember to eat a spoon or two daily.
This week, the blueberries from Mountain View are finding their way into Farmer's Markets.
We got some at Friend's store, yesterday, and will probably need to get more

Old 05-29-2018, 08:41 AM

68,670 posts, read 78,674,307 times
We visit our local, very small farmers market about every 2 weeks on Sat Everything they sell is 100% locally grown. I got the best spinach i have ever had there 2 weeks ago. I thought it was expensive until I started using it. I still have a tiny bit left and cant begin to count how many times I have used it thus far.

Honey wise, we have a special honey farm we love to visit a couple times in the summer. He also has a few other things he grows. It actually in So. Mo but only about 25 minutes from here. And Blueberries, a couple of years we have visited a farm and picked our own, same with raspberries but age is taking its toll so no longer our own. Have thought about trying it again this year, maybe in a week or two. We will see.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:49 AM

68,670 posts, read 78,674,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
This week, the blueberries from Mountain View are finding their way into Farmer's Markets.
We got some at Friend's store, yesterday, and will probably need to get more
We love our favorite honey farm, about 25 minutes from here. He does grow a few other things like beets, potatoes and the more common things like Okra and squash. He is in SW MO.

When it comes to blueberries and raspberries we have a few farms that sell them or let you pick your own at a reasonable price. We may head to them this coming weekend, but age is catching up and I don't know if we have the energy to do our own picking anymore.

Of course every couple of weeks we visit our very small farmers market for fresh and always locally grown produce. A few weeks ago we got wonderful spinach, green onions and huge radishes for almost nothing compared to the price in the local market. I know, farmers markets are normally more pricey but this a small one with only about 6 vendors and they keep the prices down to make it attractive for those of us who do not want to fight the huge,commercial farmers markets.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:02 AM

Friend's market sells stuff that isn't local, but they clearly label where it comes from, so you know what you are getting. I can't have fruit from Florida or California (or anywhere else they grow a lot of oranges) so I find that to my advantage.

Actually there is a blueberry farm a couple miles from me, but I decided that I would patronize Freind's market so, other than going there just to see the place, we go to the market. I managed to mess up my body enough that I can't pick berries, anyway, so I am pursuing the route of being "a regular" at the market.

While I intend to patronize AR producers to some degree (politics and economics), when it comes to the health benefits of consuming local honey, the only requirement is that the bees are exposed to the same pollens you are so State lines aren't relevant to that. The honey should be filtered, but not cooked or pasteurized, but I like mine to be filtered.
http://undergroundhealthreporter.com...ure-allergies/

I tend to consume about an ounce a day (about twice as much as most health "experts" suggest) just because I like it. Also, that gives me an excuse to keep extra on hand, for other reasons (you might guess those reasons). I have about 10 # of it on hand right now (one ounce per day for 5 months), and starting next year plan to more than double that, but I have to finish my storage system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or