U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 PM

33 posts, read 7,818 times

Advertisements

What does being lesbian have to do with anything? this is 2017 not 1917. Neighbors mind their own business and care way more about whether you are loud, rude or leave trash in your yard than what your sexual preference is. This opinion goes for anywhere, not location based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 06:36 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,711,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Sounds like Asheville, NC is the perfect place for you.
I have to ask, why would you mention that here when the OP asked about AR or TN? What makes you think she would like NC or it would be a better fit? Do you know a lot about AR and TN? I am only curious as I think it is strange for someone to make a comment like that?

Old 10-17-2017, 07:05 AM

532 posts, read 110,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to ask, why would you mention that here when the OP asked about AR or TN? What makes you think she would like NC or it would be a better fit? Do you know a lot about AR and TN? I am only curious as I think it is strange for someone to make a comment like that?
I looked back at a few of his previous posts and came
to the conclusion that it was a drive by shooting.
(Meaningless hurtful statement with no real substance,
done "just because")

Old 10-17-2017, 07:13 AM

12 posts, read 2,085 times
Much of Arkansas is conservative. You will not be greeted the same in every place. I would say Florida or California is for you.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:42 AM

14 posts, read 2,623 times
To duke944 As to your question about what being a lesbian has to do with trying to relocate we are moving from Louisiana which is still a very conservative state in many areas. We moved to a bigger city because we lived in a small town that was very judgmental and discriminated against LGBT people. We have visited many small towns in Louisiana visiting friends and family and many were not accepting of gays. This includes the small towns where our grown children live. You have a harder time getting served at restaurants and everyone stares at you like you have 3 heads!!! We was not allowed to attend the churches in the small towns. And yes we are Christians and enjoy going to church. Even a few years ago in Mississippi where we vacation all the time was on the national news about some of the restaurants there not wanting to serve LGBT people. Now there are signs posted at some restaurants in Mississippi stating that they serve all people. We have seen these signs ourselves. We are a very quite couple that gets along well with our neighbors and they are always complimenting us on how pretty and well maintained we keep our yard and home. We are not obnoxious or flamboyant in any form or fashion. We are quite boring and tend to our own business. So now you see why we are very concerned and want to be certain that the town we relocate to live in is LGBT friendly and accepting. Because yes, unfortunately discrimination and sexual preference does still matter to alot of people in 2017. Thank you for any advice you can give us on good places to relocate.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
We have visited many small towns in Louisiana visiting friends and family and many were not accepting of gays. This includes the small towns where our grown children live. You have a harder time getting served at restaurants and everyone stares at you like you have 3 heads!!!
Makes me wonder how they knew you are gay.

Even so, I think in any town larger than 3000 in Arkansas, you will find them more accepting than what you describe. At least around town in general. Church is another matter, and will vary from building to building.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:28 AM

1,297 posts, read 777,280 times
I do understand your concern about being accepted. I moved here 2 years ago from south Louisiana. I'm very conservative but could care less about someone's sexual orientation and would never discriminate against anyone for it. I live in a very rural area of north/northwest AR. I think many here are more accepting than people may think, mostly because a lot of people here are move-ins from all parts of the country. Good luck with whatever your decision is.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:56 AM

1,894 posts, read 1,166,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl12 View Post
We are quiet Lesbian Couple that have been together for 19 years and want to buy a retirement home or some land to build a home on. We are trying to decide between Arkansas or Tennessee. We would love to live in the mountains:
Usually a college town is going to be a little more liberal, more educated, a little younger and accepting of people who live other lifestyles than other cities in the state. I'd say a town like Knoxville or Murfreesboro might be your best bet. Knoxville is very close to the mountains and Murfreesboro is near Nashville and the foothills of the mountains. I would imagine both have a large enough gay population that there is a gay culture with in the metro area, so you shouldn't feel too isolated for a lack of other gay people and nothing to do.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:03 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,915,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Makes me wonder how they knew you are gay.

Even so, I think in any town larger than 3000 in Arkansas, you will find them more accepting than what you describe. At least around town in general. Church is another matter, and will vary from building to building.
Oh, I don't know.

Perhaps, they were holding hands, speaking lovingly to each other, or interacting in any of a number of ways that all couples do.

Sheesh.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Oh, I don't know.

Perhaps, they were holding hands, speaking lovingly to each other, or interacting in any of a number of ways that all couples do.

Sheesh.
Seems pretty thin. I have seen straight women behave that way.

But I really wasn't looking for an answer to that question
(notice, there was no question mark at the end).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas