U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2017, 05:21 PM
 
10,532 posts, read 3,525,314 times
Reputation: 4338

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
OK, then, you are a socialist (by definition) and
you do find it easy to be generous with other
people's money. Thanks for clearing that up.
Taxes should absolutely be used to support the disabled. So you are saying that public support for the disabled is socialism and cynical and cruel treatment of the disabled where they have to beg for help is the way forward? I dont get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2017, 05:24 PM
 
Location: SE corner of the Ozark Redoubt
1,702 posts, read 458,572 times
Reputation: 1523
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
... I dont get it.
No. You don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 05:42 PM
 
164 posts, read 103,278 times
Reputation: 193
I wonder what State you live in Mike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
1,548 posts, read 954,519 times
Reputation: 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Not true. People who are born disabled do not get SSDI. People who are born disabled or was involved in a car accident as a child or for some other reason do not have a long work history can only get SSI, not SSDI.

The reason why it is such a paltry sum is precisely because so many people are fighting to keep it that way. Or fighting to cut medial help for the disabled. The idea that we should actually provide a decent standard of living for those who drew the short end of the straw in life is met with ferocious resistance. We see it here as well. People dont want to hear it and try to close their ears.
You are arguing your own case. You want the disabled to get more but you don't want to stop lazy do-nothings to stop sucking up all the funds. Wouldn't it make sense that there could be more money to help the disabled if others, who don't deserve it, weren't getting so much of it.

No a single person on this forum has stated they want to cut funds from disabled people, yet you are continuing with this argument as if it's exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 05:34 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
67,263 posts, read 76,982,323 times
Reputation: 36456
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Taxes should absolutely be used to support the disabled. So you are saying that public support for the disabled is socialism and cynical and cruel treatment of the disabled where they have to beg for help is the way forward? I dont get it.
you are the one that compared us with other countries. I could give you so many examples of how you are wrong. My husband was the public affairs director the Health and Human services in DC so I do have a pretty good understanding about how our system works, but obviously you are not about to listen to anyone, cause you are right in your mind. go a head and pat yourself on the back. The rest of us are about to move on to other discussions. If fact I am not sure how you got started on this crap about disabled. The thread was about panhandlers. I haven't seen too many disabled standing near the freeway exits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 06:06 AM
 
10,532 posts, read 3,525,314 times
Reputation: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
You are arguing your own case. You want the disabled to get more but you don't want to stop lazy do-nothings to stop sucking up all the funds. Wouldn't it make sense that there could be more money to help the disabled if others, who don't deserve it, weren't getting so much of it.

No a single person on this forum has stated they want to cut funds from disabled people, yet you are continuing with this argument as if it's exist.
You know its an excuse. One question to you: Do you or the people you vote for want to substantially increase the benefits for people born disabled so they can live a decent life? Try to answer without going off on a tangent about the slothful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 06:09 AM
 
10,532 posts, read 3,525,314 times
Reputation: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are the one that compared us with other countries. I could give you so many examples of how you are wrong. My husband was the public affairs director the Health and Human services in DC so I do have a pretty good understanding about how our system works, but obviously you are not about to listen to anyone, cause you are right in your mind. go a head and pat yourself on the back. The rest of us are about to move on to other discussions. If fact I am not sure how you got started on this crap about disabled. The thread was about panhandlers. I haven't seen too many disabled standing near the freeway exits.
You havent seen it? How do you know if they are disabled or not? Do you think mental disability doesnt exist? This is the problem we are facing in America. So many people simply refuse to support a radically improved public safety net for the people who need it. Thats what we hear from the media and the puppets in DC 24/7. Why? Because the people who fund the campaigns do not want to hear about the disabled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
1,548 posts, read 954,519 times
Reputation: 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You know its an excuse. One question to you: Do you or the people you vote for want to substantially increase the benefits for people born disabled so they can live a decent life? Try to answer without going off on a tangent about the slothful.
Excuse for what? What are you referring to?


Benefits for disabled hasn't been a subject I've kept up with, I can admit that. But nice job completely ignoring what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
1,548 posts, read 954,519 times
Reputation: 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You havent seen it? How do you know if they are disabled or not? Do you think mental disability doesnt exist? This is the problem we are facing in America. So many people simply refuse to support a radically improved public safety net for the people who need it. Thats what we hear from the media and the puppets in DC 24/7. Why? Because the people who fund the campaigns do not want to hear about the disabled.
I'm guessing you also think drug addicts are disabled as well and deserve a government check. The government sure thinks so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 AM
 
10,532 posts, read 3,525,314 times
Reputation: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Excuse for what? What are you referring to?


Benefits for disabled hasn't been a subject I've kept up with, I can admit that. But nice job completely ignoring what I said.
Bringing up the lazy folks is an excuse for not addressing the plight of the disabled. Its a red herring. Why do you think the politicians and media networks who most frequently bring up (and exaggerate) the problem of lazy people are also the ones who propose deep cuts to Medicaid, SSI, SSDI, SS etc? When has these people ever proposed a significant boost for SSI and SSDI beneficiaries?

I'll ask you again; do you think $700 a month to survive on for people who were born disabled is appropriate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top