U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 AM

183 posts, read 98,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Welcome to The Natural State for an exploration visit. I hope everyone is impressed enough to come back to stay. Stay safe, and enjoy.
Places need more great hosts like yourself. Jasper is gorgeous. I got to see the foliage this fall. Arkansas definitely has the aesthetic element down. I'm still trying to discover the background of the nickname "Natural State." I've seen wilder places, but I think I need to do more exploring to understand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 348 times
Anyone know anything about Norfork Lake? It is near Mountain Home Arkansas. I have property-small 5 acre parcel in Salem ir Fulton County, I pay Fulton County Clerk for property taxes -as timber land. Anyway prop was bought in 1991 sight unseen as a refuge from California. Time may have come for the move. I will need to have everything done from ground up, meaning Gas and Electric and water and sewer. I could purchase a manufactured home and have it placed there? Next door neighbors also came from California, Chula Vista actually. Apparently they brought electricity to our common road and I would need to add from there. Property is about two miles south of Missouri boarder almost in the middle of Arkansas. Hwy 62 and then small roads to get there. My maps/papers and so many of our belongings are in storage. We just sold our home in San Diego and can't even find a mobile home park that will take us without proof of 3x rent income -regardless of offering two years cash space rent in advance. Amazing. Who can guarantee job security? Husband lost job in crash of 2008 and at 60 years old unable to compete with so many people from everywhere in the Biotech field. Anyway, we have hung on as long as we could, $54k for two years of COBRA Health Ins. And then years of eating away at retirement fund, then lived the last 6 years off of tge remainder of a Home Equity Loan- Bank of America was excellent btw, we had an great rate of 2.48% for ten years. We never missed a payment then sold home last Oct. to avoid losing everything. Incredible that there is not one place anywhere, tthat could listen and hear that we are trying our best, have no rental history because we were homeowners, no employment income because hubby is now 69 and oxygen dependant, me no recent work history because I take care of him and BLAM!! we bought a mobile home in a park (Cash $30k) and was hoping for just two months to get our credit in order (medical bills) and now we have a pink slip to a very old mobile home in a park that has all of yhese boxes to check that can't be checked until I have time to get everything in order. So the last stop on this journey is the acreage in Arkansas. The need is for electricity for the oxygen concentrator. Our property is near the town of Mountain Home Arkansas, which has has medical facilities/ a hospital so that is the only place I can think of where we can't be rejected or kicked out for lack of all boxes being checked. This silly little mobile home does not even have hot water-we found out after we moved in. I rushed in hoping just for a roof knowing that there would be lots of competition after the fires here in CA Something like six thousand homes burned near Sonoma/SanFran etc. then another 100plus in San Diego County-and all during a housing crisis. Truely I feel blessed to have a roof, but as the park is now filing against prior owner, we will be evicted too. Just lost $30k if we cannot stay in park, right after two months of wading through rentals and other parks. Honestly we are blessed, but I cannot see how people make it. I am hoping to find a way to stay here long enough to get our finances in order and be accepted here, or if not able to stay here then get to our property in AR and get electricity up and running and take a minute to breathe. I am venting for sure, but I am also thinking out loud and trying to brainstorm next steps. Prayers and ideas are welcome. I guess I can't say that we made it through the crash of 2008, we are still working on it. Truely, I have no idea how families make it these days. My husband made it through a critical health crisis and for the last year is no longer on a steady decline so we are very fortunate. We sold our home in time not to lose everything, just now the solution for the remnants of all of the above are seemingly beyond my current capacity to figure out. I still need to be around for care of my husband and the thibg I could think of to do from home is making jewelry. I have some tools and supplies already. I just need some peace of mind to create and start a business from home. Prayers and ideas welcome.

Last edited by Shukabird; 01-11-2018 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Typos and clarity

Old 01-11-2018, 06:43 PM

167 posts, read 115,727 times
Shukabird,

Perhaps you should start your own thread.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:40 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,147,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
Places need more great hosts like yourself. Jasper is gorgeous. I got to see the foliage this fall. Arkansas definitely has the aesthetic element down. I'm still trying to discover the background of the nickname "Natural State." I've seen wilder places, but I think I need to do more exploring to understand

"Natural State" is just another slogan for the state. There have been many and two I remember are The Bear State, and The Land of Opportunity. I don't remember who, but about five years ago someone came up with The Natural State to promote our natural beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas