U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 33 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We are considering a move to Arkansas but are somewhat concerned about the nuke plant in Russelville (Nuclear One). I just read a report stating that it's one of the worst nuke plants in the US in terms of risk. Does anyone here on this board have any experience or opinion on the matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:30 AM

613 posts, read 123,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsquaredec View Post
Hi all. We are considering a move to Arkansas but are somewhat concerned about the nuke plant in Russelville (Nuclear One). I just read a report stating that it's one of the worst nuke plants in the US in terms of risk. Does anyone here on this board have any experience or opinion on the matter?
Can you cite the report?
I would be interested in reading it.
----------
UPDATE: I found the cite:
http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/...ants/165134735
The article is poorly written, but from what I can tell, the problems with the plant are not a threat to the
public, but rather, a threat to people working there, and a threat to its ability to remain operational under adverse conditions.

Unless you intend to move withing 10 miles of it, or live on the river downstream from it, you have no real worries, unless something happens that everyone everywhere (nationwide) would be affected. If you are planning to move into one of those vicinities, let me know and we can discuss it further. If you are concerned about stuff that would happen after an EMP, we can discuss it in the Preparedness and Self Sustainability forum. (I post there, also)

Here is one example of the problems they have:
http://allthingsnuclear.org/dlochbau...e-fatal-event?
Quote:
At approximately 7:50am on Sunday, March 31, 2013, a 600-ton generator stator fell onto the turbine deck and then about 30 feet to the train bay floor as was being lifted out of the Unit 1 turbine building at the Arkansas Nuclear One plant. One worker was killed and four others injured when the load fell.
Now, obviously, this is a tragedy, but it is like any other industrial accident, a threat to the workers inside the plant, not the public outside the plant.

Last edited by TRex2; Today at 10:48 AM..

Old Today, 10:45 AM

1,301 posts, read 781,000 times
What is your concern?

As TRex point out, the ranking isn't due to anything that puts the public at risk.

Old Today, 11:22 AM

2,295 posts, read 3,829,700 times
That plant has consistently been cited as one of the least safe nuke plants in the country. Don't have time to post all the links, but it doesn't take long to find them online. I researched it when we were considering moving to AR.

Most nuke plant hazard zones extend to a 50 mile radius for food/water contamination and a 10 mile radius for contact radiation threat in correlation with any type of leak or discharge. I would have to assume those numbers would be adjusted depending on the scale of any event.

Russelville is beautiful, but I wouldn't live near there due to that plant. They have one up here on the Mississippi in Red Wing, MN... an equally beautiful area.....and as much as we love driving through we wouldn't live there, either. Safety record is better than Arkansas One, but they store nuclear waste in casks right on the river. Those are going to deteriorate and leak eventually, if they haven't done so already.

Good news is there are more than plenty of other great spots in Arkansas to settle in where this would not be a concern.

Old Today, 11:24 AM

969 posts, read 953,884 times
Personally, I would not hesitate to move "into it's shadows" if circumstances required it. Just keep in mind that "anti-nuke" people will find many things to write about as will "anti-coal fired generators", "anti wind-farms", fluoride in the drinking water, etc., etc., etc.

Old Today, 12:47 PM

And to top it off, most of the stuff in all of those "links" he found (many of which are simply copies of each other) happened several years ago.

Like I told the OP, if they plan to move within 10 miles or downriver from it, there might be risks to discuss here.

Outside of those areas, it isn't even worth discussing, unless we are discussing what might happen after an EMP or some other regional disaster, and that should be taken to the P&SS forum.

There are many people who worry about a remote risk factor, when the real dangers are right beside them. I call it "scanning the wood line so intently they fail to see the snake at their ankle."

Old Today, 06:10 PM

83 posts, read 55,298 times
30 miles upwind would be reasonably safe from all credible accident or intentional attack scenarios. My greatest concern would be it's status as a prime target for terrorism. I have worked in the industry, but avoid it now due to the stress levels it inflicts on employees. The nuclear industry is larger than just the power plants.

Old Today, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
30 miles upwind would be reasonably safe from all credible accident or intentional attack scenarios. My greatest concern would be it's status as a prime target for terrorism. I have worked in the industry, but avoid it now due to the stress levels it inflicts on employees. The nuclear industry is larger than just the power plants.
Thirty miles is safe and extra safe. I am not too concerned with it, as a target for terrorism, as there are a lot more inviting and well known targets. For anything other than a complete core melt down, ten miles would be sufficient. For more serious scenarios, I suggest taking this to the
http://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...-preparedness/
forum, as I said earlier (although I just realized in my earlier posts, I named the forum incorrectly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas