U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:22 PM

1,546 posts, read 952,860 times

Advertisements

Keep us updated TRex2, it's interesting to hear from someone else's experience since I was in your shoes a few years ago. When will the trailer be brought here? We are getting dumping rains all week but things clear up this weekend.

I'm not complaining about the rain though, my well can use some more groundwater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:06 PM

1,692 posts, read 455,369 times
It should be delivered some time next week.

We have that same weather front coming in here.
Batten down the hatches, though, cause it is
supposed to get cold, windy and rainy.

I had not realized I had so much stuff. I loaded approximately 1 Ton of boxes before starting to load furniture. I did a little bit of electrical contracting a few years ago, and do some of my own computer and automotive
work, so I have almost as many tools and supplies as Tim Taylor from Home Improvement.

My wife and I kid each other, because she actually has more stuff by volume, but my stuff weighs three times what her's does.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:01 PM

3,197 posts, read 6,435,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I chose to put this here instead of the general moving forum because the terrain in AR provides a challenge not found in too many other places.

I found a place, and am planning to move in February, but am wondering if anyone has used those containers (PODS, U-Pack, PackRat, etc) to move and had trouble with the delivery because there was no open level spot right by their house.

The terrain around my new place isn't too bad, wouldn't be any problem for a truck, but fork-lifting a container could be problematic.
PODS doesn't use a fork lift. Go to their website, they have an ingenious little four-wheeled lifter critter that's carried on the truck with the POD.

We did our last move with PODS. Not sure it saved us a penny because of the long time line involved, but if done right it's simple.

Pack it tight and pack it carefully. You pack you move your damage.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:58 PM

I am pretty good with the careful, not so much with the "tight."
I have all the heavy stuff on the floor, so that should limit the
movement. Famous last words

The humidity was over 80% for the last two days, and I can
tell by the feel of the cardboard, that it is starting to have
an effect on the boxes.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I am pretty good with the careful, not so much with the "tight."
I have all the heavy stuff on the floor, so that should limit the
movement. Famous last words

The humidity was over 80% for the last two days, and I can
tell by the feel of the cardboard, that it is starting to have
an effect on the boxes.
You do the best you can. We had even ratcheted many large pieces against the side of the trailer and somehow still had lots of damage from shifting. The curves and hills the truck had to come through to get to us is definitely on the extreme side though. I'm not sure about the route to your area, hopefully any shifting of your stuff will be minimal.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:01 PM

Thankfully I don't have too many "large pieces"

Most our furniture looks like it came out of one of
those "cracker box" houses you find on the poor
side of most towns or small cities in the midwest.

My biggest problem loading was that I am partially
disabled, and getting a little past middle age, so
I have virtually noting loaded above 5 feet high.
The upper 4 feet of trailer was just wasted space.

If I only loose a small amount to breakage, I will call
myself blessed. (I am blessed in the Lord, anyways )

Old 02-26-2018, 05:52 PM

When they drop off the trailer, you sign a contract that has the ABF tracking number, U-Pack reference number, Numbers for the origination and destination terminals and even the serial number of the Trailer.

They have a web page that tells you exactly where your shipment is. When you go to their page, use the ABF Tracking Number, as the other one doesn't seem to register.

Quote:
U-Pack Shipment Tracking
Tracking Results ABF Tracking Number: xxxxxxxxx
'YOUR SHIPMENT IS AT SPRINGFIELD, MO.'

The above tracking results reflect the most recent status update for your shipment. Please contact the destination terminal at if you have not yet scheduled your delivery appointment.

Track By: Reference Number ABF Tracking Number
Not that they tell you where the shipment is, but nothing about their intent to move it. I scheduled delivery for Thursday, but until it leaves the terminal, I don't know if they will actually ship it before, on time, or after that.

The simple mindedness of their page is apparent when you leave since, even though they already have my shipment in the system, when I move my mouse off of their web page, it pops up with:
Quote:
Wait, you haven't gotten
a free instant quote yet
Other than that, there system seems basically functional and useful.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:32 PM

TRex, when I used the AFB U-pack trailer, it was also stored in Springfield. I had to store it for a month before I needed it delivered, but when I scheduled delivery, they delivered the exact day I requested. I hope it goes smoothly for you too.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:54 AM

They said over the phone that they would deliver it on Thursday (said the only come to my area on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but that works to my advantage) but I was commenting on the website, which gives no indication if what the dispatcher said was what he wrote down (we are all fallible humans).

Old 03-02-2018, 01:44 AM

Delivered on Thursday, just as they said it would be.

The driver didn't have any trouble backing down the driveway (150 feet, single lane) but there was some difficulty finding a place level enough to park it, where the ramp could be deployed.

They certainly are more friendly and professional than their contract would lead me to believe. There contract was obviously written by lawyers to allow them to be screwballs and be responsible for nothing.

But the fact is, they are good at what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or