U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 01:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 456,829 times

Advertisements

I chose to put this here instead of the general moving forum because the terrain in AR provides a challenge not found in too many other places.

I found a place, and am planning to move in February, but am wondering if anyone has used those containers (PODS, U-Pack, PackRat, etc) to move and had trouble with the delivery because there was no open level spot right by their house.

The terrain around my new place isn't too bad, wouldn't be any problem for a truck, but fork-lifting a container could be problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 02:23 PM

1,546 posts, read 953,584 times
We used AFB U-pack trailer. They are not lifted by a fork lift, just attached to the back of a truck. We were able to fit all of our stuff in one trailer (I think they are 28'). We pulled larger things on a flat bed trailer. We packed carefully, strapped things down with ratchet straps the best we could, but these super curvy winding mountain roads shifted the trailer so much on the truck that a lot of our stuff was thrown around and damaged quite a bit.

Getting them delivered isn't as much of an issue as you probably think. These drivers around here are used to it. I live a couple miles down a dirt road with hills and a sharp hill on my property that you have to go up to get to my house. When the truck came to pick up the empty trailer after we unloaded, he didn't have enough speed to get up that sharp hill, had to roll back down and try again. LOL

Old 12-08-2017, 02:57 PM

Yeah, the trailer would work. I was hoping to avoid the
trailer (for several misc reasons), but it may be unavoidable.

The challenge for a trailer driver would be backing into
position, from almost a block away

I used to drive trucks and trailers on an Army Tank firing
range (mountainous cow pasture), so I know the task is
not too difficult, skill wise, but requires a lot of patience
to back up that far.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:05 PM

7,960 posts, read 4,893,263 times
I have used PODS for temporary storage. The unit arrived on a truck with a self parking crane that moved over it, lifted it off the truck, and rolled into place then lowered into place. I could have it loaded doorway North or South. The unit was parked in my driveway on flat concrete. Not sure how that's going to work out for you. Backing up the drive will be simple, unloading not so much. You'll probably want the doorway uphill so as it doesn't self unload

Old 12-08-2017, 03:07 PM

1,546 posts, read 953,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Yeah, the trailer would work. I was hoping to avoid the
trailer (for several misc reasons), but it may be unavoidable.

The challenge for a trailer driver would be backing into
position, from almost a block away

I used to drive trucks and trailers on an Army Tank firing
range (mountainous cow pasture), so I know the task is
not too difficult, skill wise, but requires a lot of patience
to back up that far.
Make sure they send their most talented driver. One of ours told us stories about some of the properties he had to maneuver through to unload/load while the second said we were the most remote he had been to, but they managed. What town are you moving to?

Old 12-08-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
... What town are you moving to?
Answered by PM - oops - DM.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:12 AM

164 posts, read 103,155 times
I used PODS 10 years ago and they made everything easy. I would imagine a few railroad ties would help you level a POD up to 8 inches in height. The trucks come with a built on crane and they lift the PODS and set them down to keep them level. Give em a call and talk to them.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:16 AM

164 posts, read 103,155 times
Another thought is to order a load of large driveway gravel dropped on your property to create a flat level spot. One can always use more gravel and you need a small front loader Trex2. Every guy needs a small front loader .

When I get gravel dropped, I often ask for the load to be tailgated(spread) over an area. These guys are magicians.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:03 PM

I don't think I will be able to do the gravel thing,
but the rail road ties look like good idea.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:49 PM

went with the trailer
loading now
will post more in a little while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or