Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 07:15 AM

13 posts, read 11,707 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I work for the VA here in Dallas and will be possibly transferring North Little Rock VA to work. Can anyone tell me about the schools and where to live? I have a 1st grader and an 8th grader. My oldest plays in the band and my youngest is in gymnastics, so any information that you have will help. Thank you.

~ Sabrina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 10:00 AM

I want a reasonable commute, no more than 30 more minutes drive. Also, what is there to do as far recreation, restaurants, shopping and so forth? My husband just retired from the military a few months back so are any bases nearby? I want to know everything about this place before we make a decision. By the way, I think your city is pretty. It puts me in the mind of Chattanooga.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:36 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snunn222 View Post
I want a reasonable commute, no more than 30 more minutes drive. Also, what is there to do as far recreation, restaurants, shopping and so forth? My husband just retired from the military a few months back so are any bases nearby? I want to know everything about this place before we make a decision. By the way, I think your city is pretty. It puts me in the mind of Chattanooga.

Little Rock Air Force Base is north of North Little Rock. They have all the typical military base facilities. It is in the community of Jacksonville and in the past year Jacksonville has pulled out of the Pulaski County School District and formed their "stand-alone" district. I don't know about the quality of the school though. Little Rock has several private schools (church and non-church) and if you lived in west L.R. you would be about 30/45 minutes from Fort Roots. Our granddaughter went to Pulaski Academy (private) pre-K thru 12 and got a superb education. Recreation - within an hours drive you can find anything you would like to do. Restaurants and shopping - depends on personal preference but I think you would find about anything you will find in any metro area of this size.

Welcome to The Natural State. I don't think you or your husband will be disappointed.

Oh, there are several "bedroom" communities north and west of N.L.R. but I don't know the quality of their schools. They all are within 30/45 minutes of Fort Roots.

If you have any specific questions you may send me a Direct Message and I'll help any way I can.

Last edited by Old Fossil; 12-17-2017 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 12-18-2017, 05:52 AM

Default Schools

What’s your top public school districts there? I’ll have to narrow it down. Thanks again!

Old 12-18-2017, 09:10 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Quote:
What’s your top public school districts there? I’ll have to narrow it down. Thanks again!
School Districts in the L.R. Metro Area are; Little Rock, North Little Rock, Pulaski County, Jacksonville. Top district? Like anything else, that depends on who you talk to. Each district has it's supporters and critics. That's not a good answer but the best I can do. Sorry.

Last edited by Old Fossil; 12-18-2017 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: add

Old 12-19-2017, 08:38 AM

Ok, I’ll begin my research. Thank you

Old 12-21-2017, 03:31 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,234 times
i use to live in jacksonville. The AFB is one of the best their with great air shows. School system is on par with rest of the area. They pull out due to politics and finances. But beyond that, jacksonville is good for base entertainment needs, conway is another town that is growing. Hope this map helps. This is base on my opion.. after living in Ar for 35 years before it got old..

gif upload

Old 12-21-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:

River walk is nice.. just dont take your kids after hours.. it attends to grab alot of unwanted attention on weekends.. keep your valuables at home.. Wild river country is good for summer, got Magic springs in hot springs is another place. It was great for thrill rides till the water park division took over. Now its just 80%water park 20% kiddie rides. Hot springs good tourist town with the tower.. Stay away from crime bluff. aka Pine Bluff.. just stay far far away from that town. NWA is great for road trips to see nature. As for concerts, they are hit and miss. .mostly miss with alot of people not showing up. Low ticket sales. They just put in a bass pro shop in benton ( south of LR). Malls are not the best anymore. They demolish 2 of them with in past 10 years, so good luck with that. Lot of Gym places to sign up for your kid. Traffic is not bad compare to dallas for sure.. We dont have any sports teams that make any news unless the coaches go on a bike trip.. another story..

o we do have a ice rink/skate rink downtown.. not bad.. and price is decent..

Hope this review helps..

Old 12-21-2017, 05:54 PM

I got the job! Yay!! I really like that map and will have to use it. Are the public schools really that bad there? If so, can anyone elaborate? I’d really like to know what’s going on out there.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I got the job! Yay!! I really like that map and will have to use it. Are the public schools really that bad there? If so, can anyone elaborate? I’d really like to know what’s going on out there.
Well consider this. .nothing personal.. but just the way it is.. LR has one of the highest segregate schools in the country. Not done on purpose but its done. You got some really good areas with great schools and got bad areas and the school reflects that. The new Jacksonville school area is not bad. They did a good cleaning before i left few years ago. Had some teachers that was their for the checks, not to teach. NLR/Conway/Jacksonvile are the prefer choice on schools. Their are tons of private if you prefer to go that way. We do have some magnet schools if your kids are talented enough, but some did have a waiting list.

Cant forget.. Cabot is growing and great little town!

Pretty much anything south of the arkansas river, stay away from.. till you get to Benton/Bryant area.. Housing around our state fairground is consider the dump of the town.. just to give you a idea..

Hope this link helps.. some i agree with some i dont..but it is close enough to get your information.
https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ck-metro-area/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas