U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 08:03 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,171,248 times

Advertisements

Hot Springs downtown upgrade - In today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Rex Nelson wrote about a new building going up downtown. Ken Wheatley [part of the Hot Springs Wheatley clan] is building a new two story building on a vacant lot across the street from bath house row next to the Gangster Museum. I think I remember that the building which stood there burned years ago. The first floor will be for retail space and he is selling his present home and his home will then occupy the second floor. It appears that he has visions of that area becoming like downtown Little Rock [River Market area] with its retail, clubs, apartments, and condos. He is also pushing for the empty property where the Majestic Hotel stood to be developed into a series of thermal pools.

After the loss of The Majestic, the sleeping "city fathers" finally woke up and the future looks bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 07:59 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
He is also pushing for the empty property where the Majestic Hotel stood to be developed into a series of thermal pools.
That is a great idea! Just seeing your title, "Hot Springs downtown", made me mourn the loss of the Majestic again.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:04 PM

573 posts, read 518,021 times
i love downtown hot springs. we go downtown for breakfast and/or dinner several times a year. while, i don't think i would enjoy living downtown, yet. the day could be coming where i would. i have several friends that live in downtown little rock and they love it. it wasn't ready for prime time just several years ago.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:35 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
i love downtown hot springs. we go downtown for breakfast and/or dinner several times a year. while, i don't think i would enjoy living downtown, yet. the day could be coming where i would. i have several friends that live in downtown little rock and they love it. it wasn't ready for prime time just several years ago.
Did you ever go to the Colonial Pancake and Waffle House? I seem to remember us discussing it before and you said you had never been but would have to give it a try. (at least, I think it was you)

Google street view actually goes inside that place, and it looks so homey. Next time we go to Hot Springs I hope I remember to go there.

Let's see if this will work:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.5184...7i13312!8i6656

It worked! You can do a 360 degree circle with that picture. (well, you can look up and down also, but I don't know that you call that)

Old 12-29-2017, 04:51 PM

573 posts, read 518,021 times
Luvark, cool link, thanks.

We did finally go to colonial pancake shop and while we did enjoy it, my whole family is hooked on a different breakfast food at "the pancake shop" just down the street. So, we just keep going back there. ( I am addicted to the banana buckwheat pancakes) I have been to the Waffle House, I really like their hours. (24).

With the approaching live racing season just around the corner, Jan 12, I will also check out a few of the new restaurants and report back.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:04 PM

265 posts, read 270,138 times
Any of you who come to Hot Springs, try Steinhaus Keller. It’s a German restaurant in the basement of Spencer’s Corner (downtown). It is the best German food I’ve had since I came home from Bitburg in ‘88 (USAF). If you like beer, try the dark German beer they have on tap.

I recommend the German Explorer platter. A little bit of everything for $20. And it’s plenty of food, probably enough for two.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 AM

George Weldon has a great report in the current Arkansas Business newspaper about the current status of the Arlington Hotel. His second paragraph reads: "During the past 12 months, the San Antonio developer [Al Rajabi] has busied himself putting together a $50 million battle plan to bring the historic Hot Springs hotel into the 21st century with much needed updating and long overdue renovating."

Old 08-15-2018, 01:27 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
Still waiting on that idea...

Old 08-15-2018, 01:35 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
if they really want to do something, then modernize these old hotel and medical buidlings.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.5166...7i13312!8i6656

im sure they could be fixed up to code without some minor issues.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Arkansas Business newspaper had another great report on H.S. downtown. It's interesting to note that many of the people involved in the restoration, renovation, and repurposing are not "natives" but people who had moved there, for a specific reason, then saw the potential and went to work. Even the Wheatley family is now jumping onto the bandwagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or