U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 04:42 PM

1,134 posts, read 256,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
HAHA. u kidding right?

HS doesnt have the traffic as Austin, nor the jobs.

I live in Austin, and from Hot springs.. Only traffic jam that HS gets is people walking across central ave to the race track.
I lived in Austin many years ago.

Quote:
But to the folks moving to HSV.. good luck. It is a retirement community so nothing is open past 8pm maybe 10pm? on good night.. Guess some folks doesnt stay up past 6pm anymore. ...
Hey! I resemble that remark

Quote:
Welcome to our state.
Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 06:16 PM

343 posts, read 844,221 times
Whatever, I still love it.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
Whatever, I still love it.
No one here, except "1Patois" is saying anything bad about Hot Springs,
and we are kinda making fun of him, because we think he might be a troll.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:29 PM

1,505 posts, read 537,640 times
Honestly, HS can be better with better jobs. Zero tech jobs other than the call center. Turning the old behind the mall movie theater into something special like a IPIC, is a slap to the face for the community. They need to just tear down along with the mall and rebuild. I can think of better things on that land than the mall.. But once the restraunts start closing up on that side of town, their is something else going on.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:19 AM

I think Hot Springs thinks of itself as a tourist city, and for that reason, they don't really want most other things that create jobs.

Of course, that is just how I perceive the situation.

Quote:
They need to just tear down along with the mall and rebuild. I can think of better things on that land than the mall..
Well, that would be up to the property owners.
Tearing down a mall, although it sometimes has to be done, is a fairly substantial financial loss to the property owner. The owner might not be ready to admit defeat.

Quote:
But once the restraunts start closing up on that side of town, their is something else going on.
You think they may be on their way to creating a slum?
Or did I misunderstand the implication?

Old 01-03-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I think Hot Springs thinks of itself as a tourist city, and for that reason, they don't really want most other things that create jobs.

Of course, that is just how I perceive the situation.

Well, that would be up to the property owners.
Tearing down a mall, although it sometimes has to be done, is a fairly substantial financial loss to the property owner. The owner might not be ready to admit defeat.

You think they may be on their way to creating a slum?
Or did I misunderstand the implication?
Not sure, but nearly every food restaurant on that side of town closed up. Decent ones.. Rynes, zagsbies, Red lobster? When the motorcycle business closed up, thats not good. Foot traffic in the mall has gone to 5hitz.. pretty much anything past walmart has closed up or in process of being closed up. Not sure whats changed other then the new development on 70w pull some people away. Been a while since i been back, 2 years ago.. but man o man.. times have changed. Motel on the YMCA property were a church once was.. removal of the old hotel opens up the worst side of town. Not sure why they didnt keep the old hotel up, consider all it needed was the right investor to bring it up to code. Better then tearing it down.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:38 PM

548 posts, read 451,699 times
I ate at Zaxby,s last weekend and red lobster was open also. I have eaten at several restaurants on 7 south lately and I don't see the demise you referred to in that area. The Ryan's has been closed for years, maybe a decade. The Kroger in that area spent several hundred thousand dollars on an update and store reset last year. I know the property that I own in the 7 south area has tripled in price in recent years. The marina and boat rentals/sales place that I use, just built a $250k new facility on their property in that area. There are a lot of condos in that area on the lake that start around $200k and go up. There are two relatively new car dealerships in the area that are easily $1 million facilities. Is the mall in decline, why yes, almost every mall in the country is. Is the rest of the area in decline, not just no, but no way, the new developments and price increases in property point to an upward trend.

I have also noticed that property taxes have climbed considerably the last couple of decades, so the county is staying current on their assessment of the situation.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:56 AM

343 posts, read 844,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
I ate at Zaxby,s last weekend and red lobster was open also. I have eaten at several restaurants on 7 south lately and I don't see the demise you referred to in that area. The Ryan's has been closed for years, maybe a decade. The Kroger in that area spent several hundred thousand dollars on an update and store reset last year. I know the property that I own in the 7 south area has tripled in price in recent years. The marina and boat rentals/sales place that I use, just built a $250k new facility on their property in that area. There are a lot of condos in that area on the lake that start around $200k and go up. There are two relatively new car dealerships in the area that are easily $1 million facilities. Is the mall in decline, why yes, almost every mall in the country is. Is the rest of the area in decline, not just no, but no way, the new developments and price increases in property point to an upward trend.

I have also noticed that property taxes have climbed considerably the last couple of decades, so the county is staying current on their assessment of the situation.
And my two favorite Italian restaurants, J & S and Luna Bella, are always packed when we go there. I totally agree with your assessment of south Hot Springs.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:03 AM

548 posts, read 451,699 times
^^^^i started to mention both of those as they are some of our favorites also. i would have to include "back porch grill" and there will definitely be a packed house at all of these starting jan 12. (opening day of oaklawn)

Old 01-04-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post

So they reopen zaxbys? Like i said its been a few years since i been back. But for the price of the area, those are very high rates for houses. Put it this way, last time i was their, when the motel was on fire, and a very in and out for a funeral in 2016.

The boat shop in the walmart area closed up..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas