U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 06:42 AM

183 posts, read 101,824 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all. I'm a French Creole from Louisiana, raised in Texas, transplanted to California as a lad, and wound up back down South for several years before going to California as an adult to get some education and see a different side to life. I reaaaaally need help on understanding what it is I'm getting into. I'm 25 as of 2017 and in an inter-generational relationship (common law marriage type thing) and the house with the BEST DEAL for MY personal financial situation happened to be in Pine Bluff, so I bought it. I am looking to renovate it over the course of 18 months bring fully-hands on before actually relocating there and I need to understand WHY Pine Buff is so well-hated.
I am looking forward to being rent-free soon, but the thing is, I want the TRUTH: I checked stats and although Pine Bluff crime is high, on isolated crimes most likely to affect the common person, such as theft. Hot Springs exceeded Pine Bluff by a large percentage in 2016. yet everyone prefers Hot Psrings over Pine Bluff? why? (besides the natl pk.)

I've read the gritty news and still follow it via the Pine Bluff Commercial, but is it that bleak? Would any of you move anywhere to own a home for a chance at gaining/accelerating your financial prosperity? (whether temporary or permanent) For me, it's a starter home and I'm hoping that after getting a few steps up, that I will buy bigger in places that I've had more experiences with and looove. F.Y.I., I will be coming from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 07:02 AM
sub

497 posts, read 256,614 times
A lot of towns that size go years without a single homicide. Pine Bluff routinely gets into double digits annually for homicides.
Several little towns around there are like that.
Hot Springs isn't much better on that front, but yes, it is a very high crime area as well.
Maybe it's the national park. Maybe it's the hills, but people seem to be more forgiving of the problems of Hot Springs.
Coming from Louisiana, Texas, and California, neither city may seem all that bad.
Best wishes on your venture in Pine Bluff.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:51 AM

4,747 posts, read 6,125,627 times
Pine Bluff...yuck. The worst city in Arkansas.

Crime, blight, economic depression....

Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 AM

69,136 posts, read 79,243,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
Hey y'all. I'm a French Creole from Louisiana, raised in Texas, transplanted to California as a lad, and wound up back down South for several years before going to California as an adult to get some education and see a different side to life. I reaaaaally need help on understanding what it is I'm getting into. I'm 25 as of 2017 and in an inter-generational relationship (common law marriage type thing) and the house with the BEST DEAL for MY personal financial situation happened to be in Pine Bluff, so I bought it. I am looking to renovate it over the course of 18 months bring fully-hands on before actually relocating there and I need to understand WHY Pine Buff is so well-hated.
I am looking forward to being rent-free soon, but the thing is, I want the TRUTH: I checked stats and although Pine Bluff crime is high, on isolated crimes most likely to affect the common person, such as theft. Hot Springs exceeded Pine Bluff by a large percentage in 2016. yet everyone prefers Hot Psrings over Pine Bluff? why? (besides the natl pk.)

I've read the gritty news and still follow it via the Pine Bluff Commercial, but is it that bleak? Would any of you move anywhere to own a home for a chance at gaining/accelerating your financial prosperity? (whether temporary or permanent) For me, it's a starter home and I'm hoping that after getting a few steps up, that I will buy bigger in places that I've had more experiences with and looove. F.Y.I., I will be coming from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Well if you have already purchased property in Pine Bluff you will probably have to accept it and make the best of it. Any town can turn around. There was a time when Pine Bluff was a wonderful little city. Now, as you are finding out, it isn't a place most people would choose to live. Hot Springs though having a high crime rate also has some wonderful area, unlike Pine Bluff. Hopefully Pine Bluff will do flip around. BTW, how you perceive Pine Bluff and how well you are going to fit in depends partially on where you lived in Texas and California, As most know both states can have a high crime rate or a low one. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Default And then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Pine Bluff...yuck. The worst city in Arkansas.

Crime, blight, economic depression....
I've heard about that...it's not a 'forever' circumstance, but everyone has to start somewhere. I noticed how it is when i visited a couple times. Seems sparsely populated too. But I think there is MORE to the general opinions on the town, which is why I posed the question. I want to get to the bottom of it.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:57 AM

Default About Pine Bluff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well if you have already purchased property in Pine Bluff you will probably have to accept it and make the best of it. Any town can turn around. There was a time when Pine Bluff was a wonderful little city. Now, as you are finding out, it isn't a place most people would choose to live. Hot Springs though having a high crime rate also has some wonderful area, unlike Pine Bluff. Hopefully Pine Bluff will do flip around. BTW, how you perceive Pine Bluff and how well you are going to fit in depends partially on where you lived in Texas and California, As most know both states can have a high crime rate or a low one. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the reassurance. These posts can be very informative, but also very discouraging, espeically in this particular instance. I'm a former New Orleans, LA, and Compton, Ca resident. I spent 7.5 years in Compton and hated the place as a kid, and I'm sure Pine Bluff can't be worst than that. Even Orange County, CA was tough, but like you were implying...I've seen much, and Pine Bluff may not be a threat compared to what I've experienced. I will continue to follow the news and learn as much as possible.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:59 AM

69,136 posts, read 79,243,293 times
Quote:
I've heard about that...it's not a 'forever' circumstance, but everyone has to start somewhere. I noticed how it is when i visited a couple times. Seems sparsely populated too. But I think there is MORE to the general opinions on the town, which is why I posed the question. I want to get to the bottom of it.
I think it is clear you are going to have to do the best you can with what you have, so it probably makes no difference what any of us have to say. I hope when you do the renovations you proceed carefully and do it as cheaply as possible. Yes, it is not a forever situation and yes, we all started somewhere, but knowing, as you did, it was the cheapest you could handle should be a clue, you might need to be very careful.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:05 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,093,303 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance. These posts can be very informative, but also very discouraging, espeically in this particular instance. I'm a former New Orleans, LA, and Compton, Ca resident. I spent 7.5 years in Compton and hated the place as a kid, and I'm sure Pine Bluff can't be worst than that. Even Orange County, CA was tough, but like you were implying...I've seen much, and Pine Bluff may not be a threat compared to what I've experienced. I will continue to follow the news and learn as much as possible.
I'm also from south LA, grew up on the westbank (you know where that is if you're from NOLA) and then lived near outskirts of Baton Rouge. I now live in north central Arkansas. We refer to Pine Bluff as the lower 9th ward of Arkansas, so if that tells you anything. Make the best of it and hopefully you can make a profit from your renovations.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:15 AM

Default You've Been Where I've Been...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I'm also from south LA, grew up on the westbank (you know where that is if you're from NOLA) and then lived near outskirts of Baton Rouge. I now live in north central Arkansas. We refer to Pine Bluff as the lower 9th ward of Arkansas, so if that tells you anything. Make the best of it and hopefully you can make a profit from your renovations.
I'm not a New Orleans native, but when I did live there, I lived on Dryades Uptown and in Gentilly. I know much of New Orleans METRO. Thanks for those depictions. Lower Ninth Ward? OMFG... wow...I am noticing many homes in the area foreclosing or being flipped and so I am hoping that over time, fresh blood will come, perhaps better blood. One never knows. New Orleans started regentrifying and it STILL has a serious crime issue...I have family in/from South Los Angeles. North Central Arkansas sounds NICE. In Baton Rouge, I presently live in Bocage, so it's definitely going to be an adjustment to make.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:19 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,093,303 times
If you haven't closed on your purchase yet, it's not too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas