U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 04:33 PM

164 posts, read 103,465 times

Advertisements

I normally don't make reservations this far out, but I learned my lesson last year when I was looking for a Thanksgiving reservation at Petit Jean in June. They basically laughed at me then. With a little advance planning, we have one of the original cabins reserved for 3 days during the 2nd week in October. I am hoping we will hit the Fall color in the sweet spot. I am betting it won't be 104 degrees F like the last time we visited there.

Gotta score some more Arkansas points with DW this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 04:55 PM

1,550 posts, read 956,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
I normally don't make reservations this far out, but I learned my lesson last year when I was looking for a Thanksgiving reservation at Petit Jean in June. They basically laughed at me then. With a little advance planning, we have one of the original cabins reserved for 3 days during the 2nd week in October. I am hoping we will hit the Fall color in the sweet spot. I am betting it won't be 104 degrees F like the last time we visited there.

Gotta score some more Arkansas points with DW this year.
As a cabin owner myself, October is the busiest time of year without question so you were smart to book now. It's probably a little early though for the best colors. For the past two years, the prettiest time was the very end of October to the first week of November, but I know every year can vary. Regardless, it will still be beautiful!

Old 01-03-2018, 06:55 AM

3,061 posts, read 2,631,933 times
I also think you're a little early for color. Petit Jean is beautiful. The weather is usually nice. I hope you and your wife enjoy the visit.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:45 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,068,685 times
That is a gorgeous area. I'll never forget the view of the river valley from the PJ gravesite. I had some excellent pics of it posted in the AR picture thread, but good ol' Photobucket is charging their users to embed pictures on other sites now. Those rats.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:56 PM

563 posts, read 488,232 times
my wife and i made a trip to petit jean on christmas eve. we went to the museum of automobiles and drove around the mountain. (cloudy and cold day) there is no bad day to make a trip to petit jean.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:56 PM

Posted from Sarahsez:

"I also think you're a little early for color. Petit Jean is beautiful. The weather is usually nice. I hope you and your wife enjoy the visit.

Well then, it may be time to call in quit at work and stay the extra weeks to see the color. It's as good an excuse as any.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:17 AM

359 posts, read 869,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
my wife and i made a trip to petit jean on christmas eve. we went to the museum of automobiles and drove around the mountain. (cloudy and cold day) there is no bad day to make a trip to petit jean.
A few years ago in January we drove up highway 9 to Petit Jean to have lunch at the lodge. It was a day or two after a minor ice storm and all the ice was gone on the roads and trees but when we started up the drive to the overlook, all the trees were still iced over. The sun was out and shining through the ice and it was absolutely stunning.

We could not walk much at the overlook as the wooden walkways were still iced over so we headed to the lodge and started seeing power trucks along the roadway. We thought not a good sign and when we got to the lodge the power was out so no lunch.

We went out the west side of the park and worked our way to highway 7 and went down to Jessieville and had our lunch at the Shack. The view was not quite the same but the food is always good at the Shack.

As you said, never a bad day for Petit Jean.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,875,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
there is no bad day to make a trip to petit jean.
Amen...as is the case with SO MANY places in the Ouachitas/Ozarks. Never a lack of scenic drives to take or something "outdoorsy" to do.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:11 PM

563 posts, read 488,232 times
^^^ I made a trip to the upper buffalo river area a few winters ago and saw things I had never seen in the spring and summer trips I had taken for decades. I love a cloudy winter drive in Arkansas, it is like having "x-ray" vision!

Old 01-05-2018, 04:58 PM

Petit Jean is part of what spurred my love for AR. It was hotter than Hades those few days, but the view from the lodge (also the food) was pure ecstasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas