U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 11:25 AM

183 posts, read 86,913 times

Advertisements

I am very pro-nature. I see it as art. I photograph nature. (I've done so at glaciers, sand dunes, springs, lakes, coastlines, forests, etc in my travels...) I would like to know what Southeast Arkansas has to offer an eye like mine. I have visited a few times for personal reasons but didn't really have the chance to "get out." I'm going to be living there soon, but in the meantime, would like to know where the most picturesque areas are.
The area seems highly under-documented and I can't get very much info on things like Bayou Bartholemew (its boasted) any great birding areas...are even neat spots to visit if there is a wildflower season. Any help, folks?

NOTE: I am not a hunter...just a nature-loving person.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 11:37 AM

9,980 posts, read 11,134,263 times
Might try here -

https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/lakechicot/

Old 01-06-2018, 07:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,097,215 times
Several years ago Wife and I took a two day trip following the Arkansas River Levy down to the Mississippi River and really enjoyed it. We saw LOTS of birds of many kinds. Another year I worked on an archeology dig near Gillette and on a couple trips flocks of red birds flew in front of me as thick as a flock of black birds. That was in June. There are lots of bear and other wild life there. I suspect once you learn your way around you will have many photographic opportunities. Good luck and please keep us posted. If you are from out of state; Welcome to The Natural State

I just read your original Thread about moving to P.B. and see you are from "out of state", so, again, welcome to The Natural State.

Last edited by Old Fossil; 01-06-2018 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 01-06-2018, 07:40 PM

317 posts, read 495,808 times
The terrain is flat but plenty of waterways and forested areas besides the wildlife refuges and national forests. When enjoying nature in southeast Arkansas, do keep an eye out for nature's rattlesnake as they are plentiful in some places.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
The terrain is flat but plenty of waterways and forested areas besides the wildlife refuges and national forests. When enjoying nature in southeast Arkansas, do keep an eye out for nature's rattlesnake as they are plentiful in some places.
Yikes ! And I thought it was mostly a desert thing. I completely forgot about snakes

Old 01-06-2018, 09:30 PM

Default Out-of-Towner Feels Welcomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Several years ago Wife and I took a two day trip following the Arkansas River Levy down to the Mississippi River and really enjoyed it. We saw LOTS of birds of many kinds. Another year I worked on an archeology dig near Gillette and on a couple trips flocks of red birds flew in front of me as thick as a flock of black birds. That was in June. There are lots of bear and other wild life there. I suspect once you learn your way around you will have many photographic opportunities. Good luck and please keep us posted. If you are from out of state; Welcome to The Natural State

I just read your original Thread about moving to P.B. and see you are from "out of state", so, again, welcome to The Natural State.

OMG thanks! Leaving Pine Bluff to see Helena-West Helena for the first time, I got to admire massive duck gatherings (for migration) before finally getting back Down to Baton Rouge.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,097,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post

And cottonmouth, and copperhead

Old 01-07-2018, 08:03 AM
sub

411 posts, read 202,415 times
Wetlands, birds, rice and cotton fields in full bloom.
White River National Wildlife Refuge. St. Francis Sunken Lands in the northeast.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Default neat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Wetlands, birds, rice and cotton fields in full bloom.
White River National Wildlife Refuge. St. Francis Sunken Lands in the northeast.
Cotton fields in ARK? I had no idea...i did see some in Bobo, MS after leaving... only a few bolls were left

Old 01-07-2018, 12:54 PM

9,980 posts, read 11,134,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
Cotton fields in ARK? I had no idea...i did see some in Bobo, MS after leaving... only a few bolls were left
Yes there are huge cotton fields, I picked cotton one year which is NOT fun. Go down to lower Ashley County around Wilmot and Chicot County. Thousands of acres of cotton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas