U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM

67,297 posts, read 77,014,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanta View Post
First, over 50% of restaurants fail...period. I wouldn't waste my money or time. the risk/reward ratio is too unfavorable.

Having said that, I wouldn't pick a state like Arkansas (or for that matter NYC).

Find a smaller town in various states that is actually growing in population that have a variety of tastes, not just regional fare. I would say however that northwest AR might be a viable option...might. High traffic vacation spots might be good options, maybe just off the beach towns say in AL, SC or a few towns in FL.

College towns also should not be ignored. Good luck.
the problem with your advise: he has purchased a home in Pine Bluff are would have to start a restaurant somewhere in that part of the state. He also is rather young so might have a cash flow problem. NWA is going to be a lot more pricey which will probably be way over his head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 10:44 AM

3,061 posts, read 2,633,069 times
I missed the part where the OP bought a home in Pine Bluff. Maybe he is looking to move.

If the OP is young and inexperienced, then maybe it might worth his while to work at some of the restaurants in Little Rock that attract the sort of people he is attracting. He can see what works and what doesn't. I'll be blunt, when I think of that part of Arkansas and cafe, I think of people who have lived there forever and have connections. I'm not saying other people can't break in. Imo, it's harder.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:35 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,292,854 times
I just posted a thread on Bentonville's food scene (in the Northwest Arkansas board), a feature from Food Network.

I think Northwest Arkansas is a great place for new restaurants. Fayetteville in particular has a thriving "food truck" culture, wherein the most successful "trucks" tend to go onto brick & mortar locations. It's certainly something Fayetteville supports, and it's a less-expensive way to "test the waters" with your ideas and menu.

https://www.facebook.com/yachtcluboncollege/

https://www.facebook.com/quicktownfayetteville/

You might also look up "Schulertown" on Dickson St, which is the busiest of the food truck areas.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:15 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,088,155 times
Obviously, some of you who have replied to 1Patois did not read his/her original Post, or have already forgotten what was written. He did not write that he was young, in fact he wrote that he has been looking into the possibility for years. In another thread he did write that he was 25, so I guess that is "young" in the eyes of some. Also, he wrote a lengthy list of the foods he has had experience preparing/serving.

Oh well, some people read more between the lines than what the words say . happens !

Old 01-09-2018, 02:46 PM

563 posts, read 488,453 times
the restaurant business: well, besides the obvious things that it takes to make any business successful, you need to find a niche. something different, that will make people drive to your restaurant. this is especially true for sparsely populated areas. people will drive 25, 50 or more miles for something that is unique in a dining experience. i know of several such places and they are from as recent as 5 years old to the third generation taking over. can you have a successful restaurant business in southeast arkansas, absolutely! (one of the places i am talking about, grossed over a $1m last year. this was in the area that some seem to think is so horrible to live in. i am talking locally owned, not chains.)

there is opportunity just about anywhere, if you are willing to look for it and work for it. a very wise person told me when i was a young person and trying to grow a business in the delta, "sure, you can go to little rock and open the same business, but you will have so much more competition. find your niche and stay where your are. one day you will look back and agree with me." that advice was correct!

Old 01-09-2018, 04:22 PM

183 posts, read 83,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Obviously, some of you who have replied to 1Patois did not read his/her original Post, or have already forgotten what was written. He did not write that he was young, in fact he wrote that he has been looking into the possibility for years. In another thread he did write that he was 25, so I guess that is "young" in the eyes of some. Also, he wrote a lengthy list of the foods he has had experience preparing/serving.

Oh well, some people read more between the lines than what the words say . happens !

Thanks for checking out my posts! Yes, I made 25 just less than six months ago...I'm not sure why I'm so excited about it,but I am. Yes, I've always wanted a such business. Lol,this site reminds me of facebook...posts become so tangential that original meanings of posts are lost

Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 2,232 times
Pine Bluff ?? I wouldn't waste my time, even LIVING in such a dumpy town! in fact that's the last town in AR I would open up a restaurant (or live in) How 'bout elderayder as well LOL LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or