U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM

193 posts, read 11,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
How about azaleas? They thrive in Little Rock...
I will totally give that a try
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:55 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,338,092 times
Are you possibly describing yucca?

Here is a list of drought tolerant plants for Pulaski County. https://www.uaex.edu/counties/pulask...ant_plants.pdf I would visit local nurseries where the people actually know how to care for plants. You can familiarize yourself with what grows well and what looks nice.

Old Today, 07:58 AM

Default Yucca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Are you possibly describing yucca?

Here is a list of drought tolerant plants for Pulaski County. https://www.uaex.edu/counties/pulask...ant_plants.pdf I would visit local nurseries where the people actually know how to care for plants. You can familiarize yourself with what grows well and what looks nice.
No, it definitely wasn't yucca, but that is among my favourites. Great idea ! You inspired me and probably didn't even realize it. What I do wonder is whether one can eat SOME of the tree roots and still keep the tree. It'd be neat to have yucca readily available to fry, but I don't want to keep planting trees. I'll do some googling.

By the way, I know it's off-topic, but have you been to Joshua Tree Natl Pk? huuuuge yuccas

Old Today, 09:42 AM

I have not been to Joshua Tree.

I lived in New Mexico for a few years after we left Arkansas. I've paid a bit more attention to xeriscaping since then. I'm not sure if that is the direction you are going. If you plan it right and plant accordingly, you can have a really nice looking yard with less maintenance.

Old Today, 09:47 AM

Quote:

I lived in New Mexico for a few years after we left Arkansas. I've paid a bit more attention to xeriscaping since then. I'm not sure if that is the direction you are going. If you plan it right and plant accordingly, you can have a really nice looking yard with less maintenance.
New Mexico? I've barely scratched the surface, but I did think that Aztec and Taos were stunning places. I wish I could have had the opportunity to "live" in the "Land of Enchantment," but we don't always get our every wish. Thanks for your advice and your blessing on the gardening. Xeriscaping? I'm showing my ignorance.

Old Today, 09:48 AM

Quote:

I just googled the term...Gotcha! I think with that style of plant that considering how much rain Pine Bluff gets, I'll be aright.

Old Today, 10:59 AM

65,722 posts, read 74,003,157 times
Quote:

We had pretty much xeriscape when we lived just south of ABQ; great landscaping and really saves on the water.Our only watering pretty much was our summer garden. I love the desert plants and flowers which most people are not even aware of.

Old Today, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We had pretty much xeriscape when we lived just south of ABQ; great landscaping and really saves on the water.Our only watering pretty much was our summer garden. I love the desert plants and flowers which most people are not even aware of.
I fell in love with the dessert. I didn't think I would. I even liked the cactus. One of my favorite trees is the desert willow that grew in some of the canyons. I've planted them at my last two houses with some success. We had record rains the last couple of years and that has affected them a little.

Old Today, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I fell in love with the dessert. I didn't think I would. I even liked the cactus. One of my favorite trees is the desert willow that grew in some of the canyons. I've planted them at my last two houses with some success. We had record rains the last couple of years and that has affected them a little.
Desert Willow ! There are some very prolific ones on the Palm Oasis hike near the visitor center at the Anza Borrego Desert State Park in CA. I've seen them in other places too, but nothing is quite like those old beauties.

Old Today, 09:38 PM

548 posts, read 449,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
Hmm is that where they just opened the new Loves station ?
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas