U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 05:21 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,309,484 times

Advertisements

Well, I just moved my family to southwest MO and we love it. We love the feel of independence in the area. We haven't had that much of a chance to visit AR that much, but what we have seen we were impressed at how beautiful it is. We have been treated well so far. I think that those who make fun of the Ozarks are people who are not really happy where they are and think they need to try and make others' miserable in the process.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:28 AM

465 posts, read 1,250,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aporkalypse View Post
When I think of hospitality and honesty, I DEFINITELY think NY-NJ!!!
I hear they will honestly dump you in a river in north Jersey. Just go to the New Jersey forum all they ever talk about is how the people are so nice and the taxes are so low.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:01 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,358,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Well, I just moved my family to southwest MO and we love it. We love the feel of independence in the area. We haven't had that much of a chance to visit AR that much, but what we have seen we were impressed at how beautiful it is. We have been treated well so far. I think that those who make fun of the Ozarks are people who are not really happy where they are and think they need to try and make others' miserable in the process.
I believe you have hit the proverbial nail squarely.

I'll tell ya a story........

I recently ate at a nearby restaurant with the lovely Mrs. RogMar.

When we walked in, I noticed a small amount of change on several uncleared tables. Nickels, dimes, pennies. I thought, "That's kinda strange".

The lone waitress came over, and.....we musta blew her plans for the day, cause she was less than enthusiastic about our presence.

We ordered, and she left. We were the only two in the place. The waitress busied herself with playing with her two children that she had brought to work.

I saw our dinners get placed on the counter, and the cook rang the bell.

And we waited.

And we waited.

Eventually, the waitress took a break to bring us our *cold* food, not bothering to ask if we wanted anything else.

When finished, I waited patiently at the cash register until she decided to take a break and come and take my money.

My table did not even have change on it when I left.

Now.......that waitress......I can imagine, probably told somebody that day what a terrible day she had, and how she had a bunch of people that didn't leave %$#* for tips, and what a bunch of cheapskates came through.

She probably gets a *lot* of "bad" customers.

Some people meet only the rear end of a horse in the south.

As a matter of fact, that's all they seem to meet.

I have lived in Arkansas for quite a while, and travel through it as well as other southern states.

I feel very fortunate that at those times I travel, 95% of those horse's rear ends choose to stay home, and the friendlier, more helpful folks choose to come out and go to work and do their shopping.

That's a hoot.......ain't it?

BTW......where'd you get that picture of me?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 AM

21 posts, read 47,579 times
Try living in Mississippi your whole life and THEN come talk to me about stereotypes and hatred.

Last edited by jltidwell; 12-21-2008 at 10:48 AM..

Old 12-21-2008, 04:32 PM

929 posts, read 2,340,968 times
Default Why I love Arkansas.

I live in north Louisiana and work in magnolia Ar. I love Arkansas. We started going to hot springs about 15 years ago. My wife kept talking about when she was a kid, she had went to Heber Springs with her aunt and uncle. She finally talked me into going up there 10 years ago. Ever since that first trip, we where hooked. We started taking all our vacations there. I've learned to fly fish and really enjoy it.

About 2 years ago, we decided we would try to find us a place around Heber Springs. We looked at everything on the market in our price range. Nothing really appealed to us. So we kept looking. Finally we found the perfect place close to Pangburn. We bought it back in the summer. We go there as much as possible. If I could find a good job in the area, we would move there.

We plan to live there one day. For now, it gives us something to look forward to.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:32 PM

365 posts, read 891,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Island View Post
I live in north Louisiana and work in magnolia Ar. I love Arkansas. We started going to hot springs about 15 years ago. My wife kept talking about when she was a kid, she had went to Heber Springs with her aunt and uncle. She finally talked me into going up there 10 years ago. Ever since that first trip, we where hooked. We started taking all our vacations there. I've learned to fly fish and really enjoy it.

About 2 years ago, we decided we would try to find us a place around Heber Springs. We looked at everything on the market in our price range. Nothing really appealed to us. So we kept looking. Finally we found the perfect place close to Pangburn. We bought it back in the summer. We go there as much as possible. If I could find a good job in the area, we would move there.

We plan to live there one day. For now, it gives us something to look forward to.
You must live in the Homer/Haynesville/Springhill area. I am from El Dorado and know that area pretty well, we used to make some hooch runs while still in high school (drinking age was 18 at the time in Louisiana). My uncle used to have a house on Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs and we would spend a couple of weeks there every summer while I was still in school. I can also agree with you liking the Heber Springs area, I used to do quite a bit of camping on Greers Ferry lake.

I'll be retiring in a little over 2 years and will be going back to Hot Springs Village. I personally cannot wait to get back to Arkansas, the temperature was -8 this morning and I ain't built for that kind of weather.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:56 PM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
You must live in the Homer/Haynesville/Springhill area. I am from El Dorado and know that area pretty well, we used to make some hooch runs while still in high school (drinking age was 18 at the time in Louisiana). My uncle used to have a house on Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs and we would spend a couple of weeks there every summer while I was still in school. I can also agree with you liking the Heber Springs area, I used to do quite a bit of camping on Greers Ferry lake.

I'll be retiring in a little over 2 years and will be going back to Hot Springs Village. I personally cannot wait to get back to Arkansas, the temperature was -8 this morning and I ain't built for that kind of weather.
and welcome back to you. We have lots of neighbors from Ne.

Nita

Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 PM

929 posts, read 2,340,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post

You nailed it. Haynesville.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM

132 posts, read 285,989 times
Default The pay for one thing

I tried doing work there and the pay was horrible. Also, I have family there and whenever I'm there the people joke and say you must not be from Arkansas because you have all your teeth.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 PM

132 posts, read 285,989 times
Default Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I don't hate Arkansas, but I had my first trip there this past January. It was definitely an eye opening experience coming from a large city. We were in Mountain Home though, which is very rural and hours from the nearest larger city.

There were guns everywhere, Confederate flags everywhere, and people were hard core baptist and kinda judgemental about "northerners" and pretty racist. I was surprised.

My friend is down there for 9 months working, and she said everyone in her office referes to black people as "the blacks", and are always warning her not to trust them, and to avoid things like Memphis cause "that whole place is just run by the blacks". I'm also gay, and she said she's heard a lot of stereotypical and hateful things from the locals about gays. I also don't understand why everyone kept calling us "yankees", and threw this bizarre north-south divide into almost everything. I didn't know people in the south were so bent up and not trustful about northerners.....I never even thought about "southerners" living up here....

Again, that's a small town in northern Arkansas that's 99% white. I know the rest of the state doesn't hold those beliefs.

If this is the case I want to move there right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or