U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 09:40 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,969,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJohnathan View Post
Welcome to the Ozarks!!! Now you see why I left!!!
And good riddance!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:23 PM

61 posts, read 103,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am 99% sure he was too young to vote when Clinton was running.
Don't care. Anyway he's a da'd gum whipper-snapper!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 PM

10 posts, read 26,284 times
My opinion on this is that they assume our state is full of redneck backwards republican hicks who are not smart.

That could not be any farther from the truth. But some people..

They haven't been here, so they don't need to make false assumptions.

And to those who have come here and didn't like it, they usually cannot appreciate the simpler things about AR, such as it's amazing outdoors.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Red face republicans are not all dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOUTLoud View Post
My opinion on this is that they assume our state is full of redneck backwards republican hicks who are not smart.

And to those who have come here and didn't like it, they usually cannot appreciate the simpler things about AR, such as it's amazing outdoors.
hey, watch that, I certainly do not think Republicans are backwards or hicks nor are they dumb????? I hope you were joking about that...

Nita

Old 01-18-2009, 02:07 PM

278 posts, read 1,017,471 times
Okay I have read almost all the post in this thread and am surprised to say the lest and here is why.
1st I did not know any thing about the bashing the state that so many talk about. yes I have hears some hillbilly stuff but not just about this state but many in the area and the only bad to the state that I have heard of was Bill Clinton and in that I do not blame the state just him.
I am possibly going to move to the Ozark area of the state because of jobs for my wife being I am disabled
Now I was born in North Dakota lived most of my life in California and have spent time living in a few other stats also and many summers in southwest Missouri were I loved it but that was many years ago and before 1976.
Any hoot the simple slower life of the Ozarks the lowered cost of living and yes I call my self a redneck and they way I see life and want to live it is why we have been looking now at NWA. by the way the talk of the reb flag makes me laugh as so many do not understand it at all it simply is a flag that stands for states rights over federal control and pride nothing to do with the ugliness of slavery that is something the Yankees or union put on it and in fact Lincon only freed the slaves in the country of the CSA were he at the time had no legal authority because they had left the union and formed there own country and government and constitution and not in the USA were he did have the full authority to do just that at the time were he kept it fully legal so yes I fly my stars and bars flag even here in California and no matter were I move it will fly also right along side my stars and strips flag only the us flag will be a bit higher and on the proper side when displayed .
We want a life of small town living and with out the flat lands of the plains or valleys. we also want a place were wild life as in deer and such live and can be hunted with out the people next door complaining all the time even if your only shooting an air gun ( pellet rifle) for fun in your own yard.
I have lived in areas of over 500,000 people and also in areas of over 9 million people yet now I live in a town of less then 200 people in the middle of a 4 mile sq orchard and out side of having to drive over 25 miles to any thing but a post office for any thing and I do mean any thing like food doctors or simple hardware we love it the closest people to us are over a mile away. So do you think we would fit in this area? I do know the biggest thing about moving to a new area is leave your mentality back were you left as in for us leave the Calif mentality both life and political in Calif because were we move to will not be California at all period and from my past moves I have seen that is were most end up not liking were they move to they want all they left behind but the bad as they saw it and they even try in way to change what they can to what they left and from reading this thread I have gotten the idea that a few have done just that kept there mind sets from were they left and brought them to this state and then wonder why people did not except them or why they felt people were not friendly to them well most country or small town folk do not like big city ways no matter where they happen to live I see it here all the time in California in our own cities between big and little
Now my question is what are the best places to live for a so called redneck outdoors people who love to fish to live in around the NWA area?
O ya one last point wal-mart they did not start out big like they are to day and it is your government people that give them the okay to come into your area to start with in the first place so it is not the people of the place but the government and there addiction to the tax dollars they see that do this to the mom and pops as here most close before a Wal-Mart even opens and the one that do stay most end up leaving after the home depots Wal-Mart’s, sears, Targets ,and other such big box stores . the day of the mom and pop store in any thing but small specialty things is just about gone as most complain there not around but they head for a big box as there first chouse and then even use the self check outs a good way to put another person out of work .
About Huckabee blaming him pro or neg about any thing out side of what he did as governor of the state is wrong and has nothing to do with the state any more then Regan dose to this day in California okay off my soap box and back to my question

Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM

31 posts, read 90,897 times
Default Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOUTLoud View Post

Does your statement about "redneck backwards republican hicks who are not smart" include President Bill Clinton? As I recall he was from Arkansas, allbeit, not Republican.

Being a Republican thinking about moving to Arkansas, I am offended by your assumptions of me. I don't think I'm a redneck, pretty sure I'm not a hick and I don't like to think of myself as dumb or backwards .

I love the simpler things, and the amazing outdoors of Arkansas of which you spoke.

Can't wait to move to your beautiful state.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:30 PM

88 posts, read 283,221 times
Default you are sooooooooooooooooooo right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Some people would rather not spend 30 years paying for a house. Myself included. Do you know how many rods and reels, deer rifles and Pabst Blue Ribbons you can buy with $150,000?? A mobile home suits the needs of people like us just fine thank you!
captian dan - you are da man. my thoughts exactly.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 AM

47 posts, read 124,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAngel97 View Post
Does your statement about "redneck backwards republican hicks who are not smart" include President Bill Clinton? As I recall he was from Arkansas, allbeit, not Republican.

Being a Republican thinking about moving to Arkansas, I am offended by your assumptions of me. I don't think I'm a redneck, pretty sure I'm not a hick and I don't like to think of myself as dumb or backwards .

I love the simpler things, and the amazing outdoors of Arkansas of which you spoke.
You do not think that you are a redneck. I got this definition from Urban Dictionary...funny.

red neck 263 up, 75 downUsually a white male with limited education - someone who is generally intolerant of other people who differ and/or disagree with his thinking & outlook. These folks tend to look at the world in black & white terms - there are no shades of gray, or room for flexibility.

These folks live all over the country with the heaviest concentration in the southeast & midwest.

Some characteristics of " red necks "

1. White male
2. Drinks lots of beer
3. Wears Wrangler jeans
4. Wears tshirts,sweatshirts that are usually too small
5. Usually has a beer gut from drinking lots of beer
6. Lives on junk food, lots of beef, fried chicken
7. Nascar fan
8. Outdoor hobbies/activities - fishing, hunting
9. Drives a pickup truck
10. Hates Liberals, Gays, Minorities
11. Does not read much except cheap magazines
12. Often treats women like 2nd class citizens
13. Strict with his kids - often will use physical force to discipline his kids
14. Usually not open to reasoning & negotiation
15. Supported & Voted for George W. Bush

Last edited by leorah; 01-20-2009 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: inserted quote tag

Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 AM

47 posts, read 124,312 times
If you are one of these guys or look like one of these guys you may be a hick.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:16 PM

69,306 posts, read 79,508,905 times
and of course you mean this in jest, right?

It is cute, have seen something similar before..

It is fun to keep these things light, I think the problem comes when people start steriotyping all of us. some of us are educated, not all republicans are dumb or uneducated,we are not bigots or gay haters, we don't all live on junk food or in the country. and the ones that do are really nice people, even rednecks can be nice...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or