U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 04:39 AM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
Except for the fact that Huckabee is like a "lite" version of Rev. Fred Phelps.
But does this make him bad for Ar and our image? No, it shows the world not everyone in our state is bare foot, living in the hills and raising chickens for dinner...

Again, this has nothing to do with your views of a person and their politics or religion. We could say the same only for different reasons about the Clintons, we are talking about how people preceive us. Because of his new found fame I am not sure others, from some parts of our country even know his true religious background. They know him as someone who came from nowhere, to become a viable Pres candidate, has gone on the have his own TV program, is funny and witty and entertaining. I did not pick up on the gay bashing that much, but I wasn't seriously supporting him so that could be why.

Nita

Old 01-21-2009, 07:25 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,244,937 times
Mary Steenbergen & Conway Twitty may be the reason for the Arkansas Haters. Don't hate da playa, hate da state!!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 AM

47 posts, read 124,338 times
Default Term Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But does this make him bad for Ar and our image? No, it shows the world not everyone in our state is bare foot, living in the hills and raising chickens for dinner...
Absolutely agree with nmnita on this one. While we are talking about politicians for Arkansas, I have read that both Pryor and Lincoln are two of most respected members in the Senate. You may not agree with them politically but they represent the state well, which is why I am going to change directions in this topic to get back on point about something I do hate about Arkansas...Term Limits.

For Arkansas to get those federal funds, we need power in the legislature. By the time our Senators and Congressman get on a committee or learn what the heck is going on and how they can help our state they are termed out. I do hate that about Arkansas. Term limits make absolutely no sense to me. If you don't like someone, vote them out. We miss out on the federal funds and federal offices. We need both!!

Last edited by leorah; 01-21-2009 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 01-21-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy View Post
Absolutely agree with nmnita on this one. While we are talking about politicians for Arkansas, I have read that both Pryor and Lincoln are two of most respected members in the Senate. You may not agree with them politically but they represent the state well, which is why I am going to change directions in this topic to get back on point about something I do hate about Arkansas...Term Limits.

For Arkansas to get those federal funds, we need power in the legislature. By the time our Senators and Congressman get on a committee or learn what the heck is going on and how they can help our state they are termed out. I do hate that about Arkansas. Term limits make absolutely no sense to me. If you don't like someone, vote them out. We miss out on the federal funds and federal offices. We need both!!
you know I have always been for term limits, but never looked at it that way. You have opened my eyes to something new..

Nita

Last edited by leorah; 01-21-2009 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: fixed quotes

Old 01-21-2009, 07:37 AM

365 posts, read 891,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Mary Steenbergen & Conway Twitty may be the reason for the Arkansas Haters. Don't hate da playa, hate da state!!
I kinda think it may be Billy Bob Thornton..............

Old 01-21-2009, 07:42 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,858,369 times
[quote=nmnita;7097667]
Quote:
you know I have always been for term limits, but never looked at it that way. You have opened my eyes to something new..

Nita
I've also always been pro-term limits and I guess I presumed for Congressional seats all states would apply the same limits. If that's not the case and we are more strict in our term limits than other states, then yes, we are hamstringing ourselves.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:03 AM

[quote=Stormcrow73;7097731]
Quote:

I've also always been pro-term limits and I guess I presumed for Congressional seats all states would apply the same limits. If that's not the case and we are more strict in our term limits than other states, then yes, we are hamstringing ourselves.
Arkansas is not alone there are 14 other states that do the same thing. states. THere are some senators that have taken advantage of being in congress to the detriment of the U.S. Stevens of Alaska (bridge to nowhere) and Byrd both are crusty old men who know how to make sure their states are taken care of probably too well. I don't want either one of theose dudes, but if you look around the state for federal offices of any scale you won't find them. You really have to go to Memphis. Closing of military bases opening up of federal offices, federal courts etc. those are decisions made in Congress. YOu have to have a person representing your state with power in congress and knows how to use the system for the advantage of Arkansas. This takes a lot of time. We are handicapping ourselves.

Georgia has a ton of military bases...why, Sam Nunn was on the Senate Arms Services committee, and he was a senator for a long time. I am not for pork barrell spending, but if we are going to have federal offices military bases etc. why not here? We don't have to raise taxes to get them here, just vote the right person in office and keep them there if they are doing a good job.

Term limits are fairly new. I think they have been around for less than two decades and some states have had them and then got rid of them.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 AM

[quote=gdaddy;7097987]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post

Arkansas is not alone there are 14 other states that do the same thing. states. THere are some senators that have taken advantage of being in congress to the detriment of the U.S. Stevens of Alaska (bridge to nowhere) and Byrd both are crusty old men who know how to make sure their states are taken care of probably too well. I don't want either one of theose dudes, but if you look around the state for federal offices of any scale you won't find them. You really have to go to Memphis. Closing of military bases opening up of federal offices, federal courts etc. those are decisions made in Congress. YOu have to have a person representing your state with power in congress and knows how to use the system for the advantage of Arkansas. This takes a lot of time. We are handicapping ourselves.

Georgia has a ton of military bases...why, Sam Nunn was on the Senate Arms Services committee, and he was a senator for a long time. I am not for pork barrell spending, but if we are going to have federal offices military bases etc. why not here? We don't have to raise taxes to get them here, just vote the right person in office and keep them there if they are doing a good job.

Term limits are fairly new. I think they have been around for less than two decades and some states have had them and then got rid of them.
Heck I strongly supported them until recently as too long in congress is not always a good thing, plus I have a problem (congressmen and women) having to run every 2 years, they spend all their time running..

Stevens and Byrd are great examples of politicians that should have gone by bye many years earlier and yet, what is right? I certainly don't know. Maybe the answer is term limits but longer ones and changing to 4 year terms for congress.

Nita

Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 AM

[quote=nmnita;7098517]
Quote:

Heck I strongly supported them until recently as too long in congress is not always a good thing, plus I have a problem (congressmen and women) having to run every 2 years, they spend all their time running..

Stevens and Byrd are great examples of politicians that should have gone by bye many years earlier and yet, what is right? I certainly don't know. Maybe the answer is term limits but longer ones and changing to 4 year terms for congress.

Nita
I agree that having to run every 2 years is a bad thing. You just need to have voters who are paying attention. In my opinion, you have a better chance of corruption from members of congress who know they will only be there for 6 to 8 years. You have to figure that they are looking for new jobs their last two years, I probably would. One way to get a job after Congress is to help someone out while you are in congress and then to get hired by that company when you are termed out. I would rather have someone to be more worried about getting reelected than one who is worried about where he is going to work next year. Longer term limits would be a compromise. Maybe I will do a ballot initiative.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM

[quote=gdaddy;7098670]
Quote:

I agree that having to run every 2 years is a bad thing. You just need to have voters who are paying attention. In my opinion, you have a better chance of corruption from members of congress who know they will only be there for 6 to 8 years. You have to figure that they are looking for new jobs their last two years, I probably would. One way to get a job after Congress is to help someone out while you are in congress and then to get hired by that company when you are termed out. I would rather have someone to be more worried about getting reelected than one who is worried about where he is going to work next year. Longer term limits would be a compromise. Maybe I will do a ballot initiative.
good idea, by the way, being relatively new to AR (7 months) we have a lot to learn. What are the term limits?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or