U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM
 
1,703 posts, read 5,544,813 times
Reputation: 912

Advertisements

There are no term limits on US House or Senate seats.

Arkansas' term limits apply to state offices only, not federal offices.

No state can place term limits on federal offices. Period.

I'm deeply concerned about civics education in Arkansas. This is very basic stuff.

 
Old 01-21-2009, 11:21 AM
 
12 posts, read 29,638 times
Reputation: 18
Actually I live in the Ozarks. I was born and raised in the Great state of Arkansas that is centrally located in the greatest country in the world. I have lived in other states and I have visited many more. Most people who complain about Arkansas are ignorant. Maybe they lived in a certain area and did not like it, but most likely it is the stereotype that some of our Arkansas citizens give us. Last I checked though, there is a wide variety of people in every state. I would rather live in this humid state of Arkansas where my skin does not dry out than some of the drier climate places I have lived. Cost of living is right in the middle, wages are right in the middle, the climate is right in the middle, you look in the right place there is less crime, and without paying an arm and a leg to exist, Arkansas is as we say it is natural and beautiful. I believe you yourself make what you are, who you are and where you live. Nothing is ever perfect and you can find faults with people, politics and your surroundings wherever you may be.

Last edited by bobbbbie; 01-21-2009 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: misspell
 
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM
 
Location: The Rock!
2,370 posts, read 6,854,459 times
Reputation: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
There are no term limits on US House or Senate seats.

Arkansas' term limits apply to state offices only, not federal offices.

No state can place term limits on federal offices. Period.

I'm deeply concerned about civics education in Arkansas. This is very basic stuff.
I'm going to throw myself under the bus here, but strum...out of 3 people involved in that convo about term limits, only one was educated in AR.
 
Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 AM
 
1,703 posts, read 5,544,813 times
Reputation: 912
Ok, ok, fair enough.

Just out of curiosity, are kids in Arkansas required to take a civics course in high school? I did not go to high school here. One full year (two semesters) of civics was required in ninth grade in my home state. I hope it's the same here.
 
Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 AM
 
39,020 posts, read 23,146,013 times
Reputation: 12146
When I attended civics was covered in junior high as part of the history curriculum. Then we had one semester in high school.
 
Old 01-21-2009, 12:28 PM
 
157 posts, read 447,347 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good points, I too think the Clintons and Huckabee are good for our state. As you mentioned, this has nothing to do with our feelings toward them personally. I can actually think of a few other sports figures from AR or i think they were, but they go way back.

You know every state has things to be proud of and just because the best universities might be in a particular place or tech has moved in does not make that state better than the state next door. I knew more backwards people, more stupid and uneducated people and more unfriendly people in NM than here. NM isn't at the bottom of the list in education or poverty (close) why, because they have Sandia Labs and Los Alamos..they also have the poorist county in the United States. We can do what we want with stats.

Nita
I think that's different though. Los Alamos and Sandia Labs are exceptions; they're not the norm in NM. NM is at the bottom of the lists when it comes to comprehensive education for its citizens.

You say you met many stupid/uneducated people in NM, but obviously these people did not work at Los Alamos or Sandia Labs, which were soley placed in New Mexico because of its climate and geographic location....not because of the highly educated New Mexican workforce. In fact, I bet over 90% of those labs' workforce comes from out of state--which also highlights the fact that they are exceptions, not the norm.

A similar comparison for us (although not nearly as prestigious as those two labs) would Stephens and Axciom, which have to recruit out of state talent as well because there is not enough in-state talent. (Not enough universities, and not enough college grads at 18%.) Recruiting out of state talent is something most corporation do, but I think it is probably higher for Arkansan ones.

Compare these to a state like MA, where 2 of the top 5 universities in the world are located (MIT and Harvard) and probably 10-15 of the top 100 (Amherst, Williams, Boston U., Boston College, Tufts, etc etc).
 
Old 01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 12,759,851 times
Reputation: 3536
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Ok, ok, fair enough.

Just out of curiosity, are kids in Arkansas required to take a civics course in high school? I did not go to high school here. One full year (two semesters) of civics was required in ninth grade in my home state. I hope it's the same here.

In the school district I attended, civics was required: a semester.
 
Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 12,759,851 times
Reputation: 3536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter View Post
Moderator cut: no commenting on mod actions, please...
This is what I hate about Arkansas:
--------
inferiority complex
n. A persistent sense of inadequacy or a tendency to self-diminishment, sometimes resulting in excessive aggressiveness through overcompensation.

source: inferiority complex - definition of inferiority complex by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
---------

Fact: Arkansas is behind in education, in science, in technology, in social progress.
Silver Lining: We can make it better. And two of the state's best--Fayetteville and Little Rock and even a few other places--are doing fine/well in this capacity.
I thought Arkansas has been making great strides when it comes to education....
I know recently I heard something about it being in the top 10 in an issue of Education Weekly. I haven't gotten around to reading it (the local library carries the journal/publication).
I feel the education I received was great. The International Baccalaureate Program(me) I was in prepared me for college, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We lived in No Va for 7 years and hubby worked in DC. It is a very exciting place, we loved it for the first 5 years or so, of course we came from Los Angeles so were accustom to the "city life" It is, as you can imagine very political and I hate to say, very phony!!!!

enjoy your time in DC, make the most of it, try some of the wonderful restaurants, look out for the crime, it is something very few can see anywhere else as well as the homeless everywhere.. Take advantage of all the sights and sounds.

Nita
Thank you.
I don't see myself leaving AR for about another...eh...6-8 years. I'll be out of college in 2012 so I have a while.
Like I said earlier, I don't hate AR as much as I used to. I have even started to encourage people my own age to stay or encourage people to move here. It isn't all that bad here in AR.
 
Old 01-21-2009, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38627
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Ok, ok, fair enough.

Just out of curiosity, are kids in Arkansas required to take a civics course in high school? I did not go to high school here. One full year (two semesters) of civics was required in ninth grade in my home state. I hope it's the same here.
unfortunately things have changed in many states as well as geographfy. My own granddaughter who is a college graduate, from a very good university (not in AR) with good grades didn't know that Baja Calif was in Mexico...

Nita
 
Old 01-21-2009, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter View Post
I think that's different though. Los Alamos and Sandia Labs are exceptions; they're not the norm in NM. NM is at the bottom of the lists when it comes to comprehensive education for its citizens.

You say you met many stupid/uneducated people in NM, but obviously these people did not work at Los Alamos or Sandia Labs, which were soley placed in New Mexico because of its climate and geographic location....not because of the highly educated New Mexican workforce. In fact, I bet over 90% of those labs' workforce comes from out of state--which also highlights the fact that they are exceptions, not the norm.

A similar comparison for us (although not nearly as prestigious as those two labs) would Stephens and Axciom, which have to recruit out of state talent as well because there is not enough in-state talent. (Not enough universities, and not enough college grads at 18%.) Recruiting out of state talent is something most corporation do, but I think it is probably higher for Arkansan ones.

Compare these to a state like MA, where 2 of the top 5 universities in the world are located (MIT and Harvard) and probably 10-15 of the top 100 (Amherst, Williams, Boston U., Boston College, Tufts, etc etc).
I have to laugh, not at you but the comment about them not working for Sandia or Los Alamos, god forbid, lets hope not. I guess my point is, stats can do almost anything. I would guess the overall education level, the drop out rate etc is as low in NM or close as the rates anywhere, the same with the poverty level, but because of a couple of of companies the state does not appear to be as bad.

You and I understand this, many do not...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top