U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 03:47 PM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I thought Arkansas has been making great strides when it comes to education....
I know recently I heard something about it being in the top 10 in an issue of Education Weekly. I haven't gotten around to reading it (the local library carries the journal/publication).
I feel the education I received was great. The International Baccalaureate Program(me) I was in prepared me for college, IMO.

Thank you.
I don't see myself leaving AR for about another...eh...6-8 years. I'll be out of college in 2012 so I have a while.
Like I said earlier, I don't hate AR as much as I used to. I have even started to encourage people my own age to stay or encourage people to move here. It isn't all that bad here in AR.
good for you. I think when you graduate you may see things a little differently but that remains to be seen. If you have the chance, do head for someplace like D.C. for a short time anyway. It is a fasinating place. Would I raise a family in the city? Probably not, I might not even want to live in the city, but live near is an experience..Of course the cost is something else again.

Nita

ps: I know you are upset about article 1 and the outcome. Let's just hope the next time it appears on the ballot people will vote correctly.

Nita

Old 01-21-2009, 04:16 PM

12 posts, read 29,643 times
your fact is not completely accurate since Arkansas has made leaping strides to improve education and had jumped up five spots in ranking in 2007. socially behind? Not all of Arkansas can be judged by a few. I lived in New Mexico for five years and seen socially worse conditions there than I ever saw in Arkansas but you will not hear me say that New Mexico should be judged on things that I witnessed in one location.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 PM

8,998 posts, read 12,768,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good for you. I think when you graduate you may see things a little differently but that remains to be seen. If you have the chance, do head for someplace like D.C. for a short time anyway. It is a fasinating place. Would I raise a family in the city? Probably not, I might not even want to live in the city, but live near is an experience..Of course the cost is something else again.

Nita

ps: I know you are upset about article 1 and the outcome. Let's just hope the next time it appears on the ballot people will vote correctly.

Nita
Yeah, my girlfriend comments a lot about the cost but I keep telling her it will just be her and I and we aren't ever having kids so it will be okay.
I once read a family of 4 needed to make about $86,000 to make it in D.C. I think she and I will be okay on about $70,000. I'm hoping we're making that much together. ::crosses fingers::

I hope people vote better next time but oh well. D.C. also seems like a good city because they offer domestic partnerships (I think that's what they call it) for same-sex couples, which is cool. I don't see myself ever getting married, even if same-sex marriage was legal, but I'd like most of the protections heterosexuals receive (hospital visitation, right to make medical decisions for spouse, social security, health care for the spouse, etc).

Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbbbie View Post
your fact is not completely accurate since Arkansas has made leaping strides to improve education and had jumped up five spots in ranking in 2007. socially behind? Not all of Arkansas can be judged by a few. I lived in New Mexico for five years and seen socially worse conditions there than I ever saw in Arkansas but you will not hear me say that New Mexico should be judged on things that I witnessed in one location.
Bobbie,

who are you addressing this too? I hope not me, I was giving an exmple of how stats do not always prove what some think they do..I am agreeing with you, NM is a very poor, very uneducated state but, because of a few exceptions it doesn't rate as low as some other states..I certainly am not belittling Ar by anymeans.

Nita

Old 01-23-2009, 08:17 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,858,369 times
Quote:
Yeah, my girlfriend comments a lot about the cost but I keep telling her it will just be her and I and we aren't ever having kids so it will be okay.
I once read a family of 4 needed to make about $86,000 to make it in D.C. I think she and I will be okay on about $70,000. I'm hoping we're making that much together. ::crosses fingers::

I hope people vote better next time but oh well. D.C. also seems like a good city because they offer domestic partnerships (I think that's what they call it) for same-sex couples, which is cool. I don't see myself ever getting married, even if same-sex marriage was legal, but I'd like most of the protections heterosexuals receive (hospital visitation, right to make medical decisions for spouse, social security, health care for the spouse, etc).
Having lived most of my professional career in the DC area, $86k for a family of four won't get you very far!! If said family wants a home, they won't have much unless they opt for a hellish commute (which is what I did). If you want a home in the nicer DC burbs then you'd better be making closer to $100k. If you want to live IN the city then you'll need more. 2 people though, you might be able to find a nice enough little townhome closer in and do ok in the $80-90k range. I imagine you'd LOVE Takoma Park!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:59 PM

8,998 posts, read 12,768,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Having lived most of my professional career in the DC area, $86k for a family of four won't get you very far!! If said family wants a home, they won't have much unless they opt for a hellish commute (which is what I did). If you want a home in the nicer DC burbs then you'd better be making closer to $100k. If you want to live IN the city then you'll need more. 2 people though, you might be able to find a nice enough little townhome closer in and do ok in the $80-90k range. I imagine you'd LOVE Takoma Park!
I'll certainly keep that in mind.
I heard D.C. is a city where you can do fine without a car. True or not true?
I'll more than likely rent a car when I want to come home and visit my family or whatnot if I decide to live without a car.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:15 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,858,369 times
Quote:
I'll certainly keep that in mind.
I heard D.C. is a city where you can do fine without a car. True or not true?
I'll more than likely rent a car when I want to come home and visit my family or whatnot if I decide to live without a car.
By and large, true. But that would, of course, preclude you from taking the exurb route to cut housing costs. The DC metro is fantastic and I can't recall hearing much bad about the bus portion of the system either.

Baltimore metro system on the other hand......not so much...

Old 01-30-2009, 05:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,739 times
I am a native Floridian.
I grew up in the Ft. Lauderdale Area and once I graduated, I moved to the panhandle. About 7 years later - I moved to Little Rock, Arkansas...
I had heard all the stereotypes - and wondered also if it would be as bad as it was made to seem. I've been here 3 years now and I LOVE this state.
You couldn't pay me enough money in the world to EVER live in South Florida again... The people were rude and nasty - so full of themselves, always in a rush to do absolutely nothing. And the rednecks and racists that are supposively here in Arkansas - try visiting Pensacola!

The fact is, no matter where you go - every state has it's flaws. And in every state you can find "losers and rednecks". There is a trailer park in every state. There are highschool flunk outs in every state. There are now Walmart's in pretty much every state.

And the funniest thing of all - many of the people who claim to hate Walmart - SHOP THERE! So if you are trying to make some type of point - you need to do a better job.

It's sad that so many people in our country are full of such angst and hatred towards things they know nothing about. They form judgements on places, people and ideas solely on the feedback from others. That is ignorance right there.

Arkansas is a BEAUTIFUL state. The actual landscape - it's amazing. We have bad people and wonderful people - just like every other state in our Nation.

I am a leader - not a follower. Don't be a sheep. Don't follow what others say because you are to insecure to form your own opinion. We've all had bad experiences in every state we've ever visited or lived - but to group an entire STATE as a terrible place just shows how ignorant of a person you really are!

As for my dislike for Florida - I lived there from the age of 5 to 25... It definately has some beautiful things about it - and I know some wonderful people who live there - It just wasn't the state for me. I can say with Confidence I won't ever call Florida my home again. For those who live there and love it - Good for you! What type of person would you be to stay somewhere you don't like?

I'd never sell myself out like that - Life is too short - and the world is to big!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 PM

278 posts, read 1,017,640 times
Quote:
Why I hate Arkansas:
Lack of quality public transportation in central Arkansas, mainly LR and NLR
The passage of Initiated Act 1
Churches on just about every corner...ugh
The fact that we're heavily taxed despite being in the bottom for per capita income....
Grocery tax

I'll stick it out a few years in Arkansas but hopefully I can escape.
Well most of what you have said is also why I have been looking at this state. Now a church on almost every corner thatís a good thing to me. not being taxed to death for public transportation is okay also being we have it here but its no good over crowded and normally still dose not go were most need or want to go nor dose it run during the hours all need it but we all pay for it .
food tax well that could be a bad thing yes but no here were just flat out over taxed on and for every thing and then add the price of a house at 600,000 for starters not any thing even close to upscale and well who can afford it besides that it takes a family of 4 just to make it an income of over 75,000 a year who makes that? yes I am talking Calif. land of the over taxed over priced homes no work and a just about broke government who only wants to tax more and send there workers home 2 days a week with out pay to help there over spending problem when the real problem is how they run there government and politics . yup can not wait to get out of this state and move to a good old family value redneck Midwest state were people are real and a person can afford to live and still go fishing now and then! Heck it cost almost 40 plus bucks just for the right to wet a line here now and that for a resident. Add to that some of the highest gas prices and so one. Well soon you have a place that really is a rat race just trying to make it with out ever even enjoying it at all. give me a place were a home is affordable and a mad can work and feed his family and still have an outdoor good time with out all the tree huggers locking him out if he can not hike like them or Lord help you if you hunt! A place were you plan your trips by traffic and a normal 3 hour drive can take over 8 were you drive 2 hours each way to a dead end job to work 40 hours just to survive and nothing more who wants that cause I will trade you . Quality of life bets quantity of goods any day. You can have my smog chocked bad air days and I will take your clean air breathable days any time. so careful the grass is always greener on the other side when your only looking but for me I moved was forced to move back and have hated it every day and can not wait to get back to a place that still is what America was !

Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58 View Post
Well most of what you have said is also why I have been looking at this state. Now a church on almost every corner that’s a good thing to me. not being taxed to death for public transportation is okay also being we have it here but its no good over crowded and normally still dose not go were most need or want to go nor dose it run during the hours all need it but we all pay for it .
food tax well that could be a bad thing yes but no here were just flat out over taxed on and for every thing and then add the price of a house at 600,000 for starters not any thing even close to upscale and well who can afford it besides that it takes a family of 4 just to make it an income of over 75,000 a year who makes that? yes I am talking Calif. land of the over taxed over priced homes no work and a just about broke government who only wants to tax more and send there workers home 2 days a week with out pay to help there over spending problem when the real problem is how they run there government and politics . yup can not wait to get out of this state and move to a good old family value redneck Midwest state were people are real and a person can afford to live and still go fishing now and then! Heck it cost almost 40 plus bucks just for the right to wet a line here now and that for a resident. Add to that some of the highest gas prices and so one. Well soon you have a place that really is a rat race just trying to make it with out ever even enjoying it at all. give me a place were a home is affordable and a mad can work and feed his family and still have an outdoor good time with out all the tree huggers locking him out if he can not hike like them or Lord help you if you hunt! A place were you plan your trips by traffic and a normal 3 hour drive can take over 8 were you drive 2 hours each way to a dead end job to work 40 hours just to survive and nothing more who wants that cause I will trade you . Quality of life bets quantity of goods any day. You can have my smog chocked bad air days and I will take your clean air breathable days any time. so careful the grass is always greener on the other side when your only looking but for me I moved was forced to move back and have hated it every day and can not wait to get back to a place that still is what America was !
As much as I hate the grocery tax, I read in our paper about a couple weeks ago, the tax only costs the average family about $30 per person a year. that made me look at it in a little different light.

Much of what you say you like about AR are the same things we like. The passage of Article 1 being the exception.

Just the beauty alone, I just looked in our back yard, snow and ice are still on the groud to some degree but the birds don't care, there they are, looking for something to eat, red ones, blue, blue with red chests, that is mom nature at her best..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or