U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,473,007 times
Reputation: 4036

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
He could be in Fort Smith. Most people there are still using fax machines and typewriters and have a phobia of computers. I worked at an electronics retailer there for 4 years so I saw it every day.
The really creepy ones are the ones who refuse to own a computer or surf the web because they believe it's possessed by Satan.

 
Old 06-18-2009, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The really creepy ones are the ones who refuse to own a computer or surf the web because they believe it's possessed by Satan.
yep there are a lot of those people around here, the same ones that marry their cousins, park their pick up on the front lawn and still have outside plumbing.
 
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,820 times
Reputation: 10
Someone said that a couple opened a Wiccan bookstore in Jonesboro, and they got run out of town. I agree, ScarnBarre - anyone who disassociates from others because they are gay-friendly, black, foreign, women in leadership, support indoor plumbing, outsider artists, or people of other religions, DESERVE their backward stereotype. I know there are bad people in all areas, but they seem concentrated in some areas more than others.
 
Old 06-18-2009, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfg59 View Post
Someone said that a couple opened a Wiccan bookstore in Jonesboro, and they got run out of town. I agree, ScarnBarre - anyone who disassociates from others because they are gay-friendly, black, foreign, women in leadership, support indoor plumbing, outsider artists, or people of other religions, DESERVE their backward stereotype. I know there are bad people in all areas, but they seem concentrated in some areas more than others.
oh for heavens sake, do you believe everything you hear? And what is this about anyone who dissassociates himself/herself from other, bla, bla,bla? Where did that come into this?

Nita
 
Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Quapaw Quarter, Little Rock
837 posts, read 1,938,913 times
Reputation: 370
Well, actually that did happen in Jonesboro, some years ago. I don't know what the situation is there now.

That's just one town, though, not all of Arkansas. I know of several wiccan/pagan shops in Little Rock and Hot Springs, and I'm sure they exist in other towns as well.
 
Old 06-18-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
Well, actually that did happen in Jonesboro, some years ago. I don't know what the situation is there now.

That's just one town, though, not all of Arkansas. I know of several wiccan/pagan shops in Little Rock and Hot Springs, and I'm sure they exist in other towns as well.
Thanks Jenni, and you are right, that is one small town. We can find similar situations in every state of the union, even liberal California

Nita
 
Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,527,845 times
Reputation: 1957
Whether or not the more recent transplants want to admit it, a lot of the stereotypes about Arkansas exist for a reason. Not everyone lives up to those generalizations, but many do.
The incident in Jonesboro is not an isolated one. That kind of stuff happens all over the state, but probably to a lesser extent in certain neighborhoods in Little Rock and pockets of the northwest.
 
Old 06-18-2009, 12:55 PM
 
Location: MIA
1,335 posts, read 3,136,683 times
Reputation: 565
Democrats are freightened of Arkansas because a former white Republican was able to garner 48% of the black vote when he ran for the governor's office...

(Mike Huckabee)
 
Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 PM
 
39,075 posts, read 23,170,087 times
Reputation: 12157
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Whether or not the more recent transplants want to admit it, a lot of the stereotypes about Arkansas exist for a reason. Not everyone lives up to those generalizations, but many do.
The incident in Jonesboro is not an isolated one. That kind of stuff happens all over the state, but probably to a lesser extent in certain neighborhoods in Little Rock and pockets of the northwest.
Stereotypes or not, when someone opens a shop, don't they normally do so because the demographics show there might be a demand for their products. If the demographics don't show potential customers, are you opening the shop to make a political statement?
 
Old 06-18-2009, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Whether or not the more recent transplants want to admit it, a lot of the stereotypes about Arkansas exist for a reason. Not everyone lives up to those generalizations, but many do.
The incident in Jonesboro is not an isolated one. That kind of stuff happens all over the state, but probably to a lesser extent in certain neighborhoods in Little Rock and pockets of the northwest.
I am sure you are right, but times are changing and there are incidents like that everywhere in our country as well as other countries. Prejudices are often hard to forget. As for some of us who are new or newer to the state, it isn't a matter of admitting anything, it is a matter of seeing, for ourselves the changes that are occurring. Actually we are probably better judges than those who have spent their entire lives here, because too many who have lived here for generations only remember the bad, they are not looking for the improvements and the good.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top