Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Stereotypes or not, when someone opens a shop, don't they normally do so because the demographics show there might be a demand for their products. If the demographics don't show potential customers, are you opening the shop to make a political statement?
That is exactly what I was thinking! Why try to open a Wiccan shop in a place where there is no demand for one? Any why should a town that has no demand for a Wiccan shop be attacked as ignorant, backward, intolerant, bigoted, etc.? Some people just have no use for some things, and if those people want to group up and live together in certain places, then let them be and go open your Wiccan shop where there is a demand for one.

*sigh*

Old 06-20-2009, 08:32 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfg59 View Post
Someone said that a couple opened a Wiccan bookstore in Jonesboro, and they got run out of town. I agree, ScarnBarre - anyone who disassociates from others because they are gay-friendly, black, foreign, women in leadership, support indoor plumbing, outsider artists, or people of other religions, DESERVE their backward stereotype. I know there are bad people in all areas, but they seem concentrated in some areas more than others.
I'm thinking that Arkansas is in the heart of the Bible belt. (Driving from Memphis there were several "Jesus loves you" type billboards) Why would anyone open a Wiccan shop in the middle of the Bible belt? To me, that's asking for trouble.

The same if, I, a Black woman, went to Harrison and opened an African heritage shop. Since Harrison is known for having KKK activity, wouldn't I be asking for trouble?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:36 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
There are a lot older people who are scared of the internet. And my mother loves to get things with bells and whistles, but she doesn't get the internet. I showed her our house on Google Earth and she freaked!

Me, I don't like the bells and whistles. Whatever I'm buying I want it as plain Vanilla as I can get it. My 2005 car has a cassette player, manual crank windows, manual door locks, manual adjustable seats, etc. Though I will admit that cruise control might be fun.

Does this make me backwards? If it does, oh well. There are people like me who feel that if it ain't broke, why fix it?

You don't have to get the latest and greatest just because you can. Just like there's nothing wrong with getting the latest the second it hits the shelves (if you can afford it) there's nothing wrong with keeping something that works and that you are comfortable with.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:53 PM

21 posts, read 52,447 times
Relax there, sounds like you are on the verge of a stroke. You can't lump everyone in the whole state as idiots because of Wal=Mart. I love the store.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,476 times
After reading a few of the comments I have to say. I moved to Arkansas 3 years ago from Fl and grew up and lived in Ohio for several years. This is a great state and a great place to live, I only wished that I had moved here several years sooner.
Happy in Arknasas

Old 06-24-2009, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 14,483 times
This is the most clannish place I have ever lived .. They all spout religion , yet they shun people from the North -- or ones that are Lutheran or Catholic.. Most places people ask, Hi How are you -- In AR -- the first words out of their mouth . "What church Y'all belong to?? I have been here 10 of the longest years of my life and I get in my car or on a plane and get the HE11 out every chance I get .. I even had a local doctor refer to me as an "ANGRY NORTHERNER" -- what kind of medical diagnosis is that ?? Did I call him a mouth breathing , window licking red neck?? No I did not ...

Old 06-24-2009, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 14,483 times
Public transportation is a joke in AR--- Libraries are closed on Sunday -- Banks close early --
PRo -sports -- I think not !! if it ain't a RAZORBACk it ain't worth watching .. so I have been told ..
PLEASE-- wake up people !!! Plus can you beliece all of the stalling over something like a lottery.
These people need to take a look at waht Colorado has accomplished with the lottery money .. OMG-- what a concept -- better schools, park, libraties, handicapp facilities and soooooooo much more ..

Old 06-24-2009, 05:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsong328 View Post
This is the most clannish place I have ever lived .. They all spout religion , yet they shun people from the North -- or ones that are Lutheran or Catholic.. Most places people ask, Hi How are you -- In AR -- the first words out of their mouth . "What church Y'all belong to?? I have been here 10 of the longest years of my life and I get in my car or on a plane and get the HE11 out every chance I get .. I even had a local doctor refer to me as an "ANGRY NORTHERNER" -- what kind of medical diagnosis is that ?? Did I call him a mouth breathing , window licking red neck?? No I did not ...
and I wonder why he referred to you as that? We used to be Episcopalians, are now Lutherans, have lots of Catholic friends and have never been looked down upon. I have at a meeting this afternoon, actually a card party: 2 United Methodist, 1 United Lutheran, 2 catholics, 2 community Christian, and me, not one would look down on any of the rest. Yes, when we first moved here a year ago, many did ask us if we had a church, no one said, "what church Y'all belong to?" In fact few have that accent..

Our neighborhood is made up of people from NE, TX, CA, NM, Iowa, LA, Minn, and Wisconsin jsut to mention a few states. I don't know where yo live, but our experience has been very different than yours.

Nita

Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,547 times
I have never had anyone ask me what church I belong to unless they came to my door trying to get me to go to theirs.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
I have never had anyone ask me what church I belong to unless they came to my door trying to get me to go to theirs.
The question is usually always asked within the first 10 minutes of meeting somebody in my experience. Nothing in particular wrong with that except it really shows the extent that religion dominates the social scene here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas